I like research, so why do I feel stuck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mconnect26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in cognitive science and have worked in several psych/neuro labs at universities and hospitals throughout my 20s as a research assistant/technician/coordinator. I both really enjoy working with people and doing research, but am feeling stuck because I don't think getting a PhD and being a PI on grants and/or the head of a lab is a good fit for me. I'm not sure if part of it is a confidence issue, but my perception is the higher-up you get, the less contact you have actually working with the people you study, and you're more involved with management, writing grants or papers, doing statistics, going to meetings, maybe teaching, etc. I also don't want to feel the responsibility of having to essentially be a small business owner by bringing in money to fund other individuals in my lab, but instead like being involved in the hands-on work of being with participants and analyzing data.

As an alternative, I've looked into healthcare fields like nursing/PT/OT but I think I would miss the research side of it and can find some of their work repetitive when I've shadowed. What's ended up happening is I feel like I'm working below my abilities in RA positions that are meant for people younger than me who are using them as a stepping stone for graduate programs and am frustrated because I feel like there's not really space in the sciences for someone like me. A masters degree might be a better fit for me, although I'm not sure what opportunities there really are out there that will satisfy me. I guess I can be a research coordinator, but I'm not sure how prevalent or stable those jobs are. Clinical trials are another route I've considered, but I'm afraid getting caught in the regulatory side of things may take the fun out of it.

I'd really appreciate some other perspectives!

Members don't see this ad.

Alternatively, have you thought about a career in applied settings that use your skills? Everything from political election polls, to market research, to applied data analytics might use the skills you have gained and be something you enjoy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a BS in cognitive science and have worked in several psych/neuro labs at universities and hospitals throughout my 20s as a research assistant/technician/coordinator. I both really enjoy working with people and doing research, but am feeling stuck because I don't think getting a PhD and being a PI on grants and/or the head of a lab is a good fit for me. I'm not sure if part of it is a confidence issue, but my perception is the higher-up you get, the less contact you have actually working with the people you study, and you're more involved with management, writing grants or papers, doing statistics, going to meetings, maybe teaching, etc. I also don't want to feel the responsibility of having to essentially be a small business owner by bringing in money to fund other individuals in my lab, but instead like being involved in the hands-on work of being with participants and analyzing data.

As an alternative, I've looked into healthcare fields like nursing/PT/OT but I think I would miss the research side of it and can find some of their work repetitive when I've shadowed. What's ended up happening is I feel like I'm working below my abilities in RA positions that are meant for people younger than me who are using them as a stepping stone for graduate programs and am frustrated because I feel like there's not really space in the sciences for someone like me. A masters degree might be a better fit for me, although I'm not sure what opportunities there really are out there that will satisfy me. I guess I can be a research coordinator, but I'm not sure how prevalent or stable those jobs are. Clinical trials are another route I've considered, but I'm afraid getting caught in the regulatory side of things may take the fun out of it.

I'd really appreciate some other perspectives!
Just wanted to mention i have worked with a few Masters level research coordinators/lab managers. Yes, it's soft money, but they are prized and prioritized employees and have been continuously employed for over a decade.

Reactions: 1 user
What's ended up happening is I feel like I'm working below my abilities in RA positions that are meant for people younger than me who are using them as a stepping stone for graduate programs and am frustrated because I feel like there's not really space in the sciences for someone like me. A masters degree might be a better fit for me, although I'm not sure what opportunities there really are out there that will satisfy me. I guess I can be a research coordinator, but I'm not sure how prevalent or stable those jobs are. Clinical trials are another route I've considered, but I'm afraid getting caught in the regulatory side of things may take the fun out of it.
As @PsychPhDStudent noted, in the right setting, CRCs are the bread and butter of research studies and a good PI knows that. Some PIs don't, but having the skill set gives you the flexibility to move on if that's the case.

If you enjoy the work of being a CRC, then you can potentially pursue certification. There are two organizations that offer certification as a CRC; I'm not aware of any significant differences between them and most of the places at which I've looked consider them to be equivalent, but I suggest looking at where you want to work to see if there's a certification that they prefer. The two certification programs are:
SoCRA has a section on their website where they list employment opportunities for CRCs, which is a good way of seeing the range of job duties that one can be doing as a CRC. Especially in industry settings, CRCs can earn a decent amount.

Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with this, so this is the extent of what information I can offer. If you'd like, I'm happy to chat over DMs about how my current university handles CRCs.

Reactions: 1 user
I both really enjoy working with people and doing research, but am feeling stuck because I don't think getting a PhD and being a PI on grants and/or the head of a lab is a good fit for me. I'm not sure if part of it is a confidence issue, but my perception is the higher-up you get, the less contact you have actually working with the people you study, and you're more involved with management, writing grants or papers, doing statistics, going to meetings, maybe teaching, etc. I also don't want to feel the responsibility of having to essentially be a small business owner by bringing in money to fund other individuals in my lab, but instead like being involved in the hands-on work of being with participants and analyzing data.

As others have mentioned, there are people who make their careers working on the "front lines" of clinical trials and other clinical research projects.

Research nurses (who make a decent, though not lavish) salary, are a good example in addition to clinical research coordinators and associates. People in these kind of roles who are diligent and competent develop a strong reputation for themselves and are highly valued among PIs looking to hire for their next project.

In industry and academia, a person in this type of role is employed by the main organization but often works for multiple PIs/teams throughout their career. Projects end, funding changes, and so forth. The sweet spot is working for a PI who is good to work for and keeps bringing in the funding.

Reactions: 3 users
As @PsychPhDStudent noted, in the right setting, CRCs are the bread and butter of research studies and a good PI knows that. Some PIs don't, but having the skill set gives you the flexibility to move on if that's the case.

If you enjoy the work of being a CRC, then you can potentially pursue certification. There are two organizations that offer certification as a CRC; I'm not aware of any significant differences between them and most of the places at which I've looked consider them to be equivalent, but I suggest looking at where you want to work to see if there's a certification that they prefer. The two certification programs are:
SoCRA has a section on their website where they list employment opportunities for CRCs, which is a good way of seeing the range of job duties that one can be doing as a CRC. Especially in industry settings, CRCs can earn a decent amount.

Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with this, so this is the extent of what information I can offer. If you'd like, I'm happy to chat over DMs about how my current university handles CRCs.
Thank you @Temperance - This was really helpful!