I lost my job...

Started by Eyegirl2k7
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eyegirl2k7

Bridget Jones here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been waiting for a private practice opportunity to happen for the last two months and I have been very excited. A doc I know very well is the owner. She had hired me for excellent pay. This practice is opening from scratch in a new, fancy suburban area. However, due to multiple construction delays (ie. the contractors broke the custom CEILING--twice) and unexpected building expenses.....she can no longer afford to have an associate. I found out today.

I have been filling in for Lenscrafters in the meantime (which I actually quite enjoy) and I asked if I could come on full time if needed. They said no...they are not looking for coverage beyond fill in right now.

I feel so pathetic posting this--but I've actually been crying most of the day. I have been taking a paycut since the beginning of september in order to make this opportunity happen. I haven't been a doctor long enough to have a big savings account....so I am scared.🙁
 
I have been waiting for a private practice opportunity to happen for the last two months and I have been very excited. A doc I know very well is the owner. She had hired me for excellent pay. This practice is opening from scratch in a new, fancy suburban area. However, due to multiple construction delays (ie. the contractors broke the custom CEILING--twice) and unexpected building expenses.....she can no longer afford to have an associate. I found out today.

I have been filling in for Lenscrafters in the meantime (which I actually quite enjoy) and I asked if I could come on full time if needed. They said no...they are not looking for coverage beyond fill in right now.

I feel so pathetic posting this--but I've actually been crying most of the day. I have been taking a paycut since the beginning of september in order to make this opportunity happen. I haven't been a doctor long enough to have a big savings account....so I am scared.🙁

PM me, I have some suggestions for you. I've been exactly where you are.
 
I have been waiting for a private practice opportunity to happen for the last two months and I have been very excited. A doc I know very well is the owner. She had hired me for excellent pay. This practice is opening from scratch in a new, fancy suburban area. However, due to multiple construction delays (ie. the contractors broke the custom CEILING--twice) and unexpected building expenses.....she can no longer afford to have an associate. I found out today.

I have been filling in for Lenscrafters in the meantime (which I actually quite enjoy) and I asked if I could come on full time if needed. They said no...they are not looking for coverage beyond fill in right now.

I feel so pathetic posting this--but I've actually been crying most of the day. I have been taking a paycut since the beginning of september in order to make this opportunity happen. I haven't been a doctor long enough to have a big savings account....so I am scared.🙁

I own a private practice in Indiana.... I could help you out... PM me
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I own a private practice in Indiana.... I could help you out... PM me

Just a comment. Messages like the one above and the one from Khe struck me as one of the great things about this forum.

There are resources and great people out there in the optometry community that don't see their colleagues as competitors but as peers who they can work together with.

Bravo to you both!
 
I have been waiting for a private practice opportunity to happen for the last two months and I have been very excited. A doc I know very well is the owner. She had hired me for excellent pay. This practice is opening from scratch in a new, fancy suburban area. However, due to multiple construction delays (ie. the contractors broke the custom CEILING--twice) and unexpected building expenses.....she can no longer afford to have an associate. I found out today.

I have been filling in for Lenscrafters in the meantime (which I actually quite enjoy) and I asked if I could come on full time if needed. They said no...they are not looking for coverage beyond fill in right now.

I feel so pathetic posting this--but I've actually been crying most of the day. I have been taking a paycut since the beginning of september in order to make this opportunity happen. I haven't been a doctor long enough to have a big savings account....so I am scared.🙁

Corporate?
 
I hope everything is working out for you! Reading this post brought tears to my eyes - it took me a while to find a "good" job beyond part time and I know some of my classmates had some of the same problems. Good luck to you!
 
I feel so pathetic posting this--but I've actually been crying most of the day. I have been taking a paycut since the beginning of september in order to make this opportunity happen. I haven't been a doctor long enough to have a big savings account....so I am scared.🙁[/QUOTE]

I know a doctor that was let go by the biggest optical group in Kansas know as the Greene Vision Group. He was my age, and just found out about a week ago. Any business, and any person isn't safe when the economy turns south. That's why I don't necessarily like that this profession is still largely based on products, i.e. glasses/contacts.

He has been kinda stubborn in his next pursuit, saying he has to make a 100k a year. I think anything at this point is going to be a start. I'm just glad I'm relatively in a good spot, for now. Who knows what lies ahead, but I'm very thankful for a job everyday, and able to support my wife and daughter. I'm glad I live in kansas and have a mortgage payment of only around $1000 a month.

Best of luck to you in your search.
 
Eyegirl, why not move back to Canada? I know you've had many complaints about comercial practice in the past, and given the opportunities and amount of money that can be made almost anywhere in Canada....why are you still hanging onto practice stateside?
 
Eyegirl, why not move back to Canada? I know you've had many complaints about comercial practice in the past, and given the opportunities and amount of money that can be made almost anywhere in Canada....why are you still hanging onto practice stateside?


Good points.
 
I practiced in the US and now in Canada and it all depends on where you want to work, in what work environment and what your future goals are. Also how far you want to be from family.
 
I practiced in the US and now in Canada and it all depends on where you want to work, in what work environment and what your future goals are. Also how far you want to be from family.

What salary difference did you find in USA vs Canada, not taking into account Canada's higher taxes.