I love how moderators close or move......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMary

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
supposed "inappropriate" threads, but the racist and offensive ones (like: DO YOU RESENT URMs) stay put. It's pretty funny, don't you think?

Members don't see this ad.

You could always just shoot a moderator a PM you know.

As opposed to, say, calling them out boldly with a thread such as this. :rolleyes:

I call the poll: DO YOU RESENT URMs? bold, disgusting, and hateful. The thing should have been shut down already. Period. And if this is what it takes, so be it.

Members don't see this ad :)
MissMary said:
I call the poll: DO YOU RESENT URMs? bold, disgusting, and hateful. The thing should have been shut down already. Period. And if this is what it takes, so be it.

Quite the martyr.......

MissMary said:

There ain't nothing wrong about calling it out. Why the need to be shy about your opinion that such topics are not handled appropriately? everyone else seems to enjoy their cyber-freedom to express how they feel, why couldn't you do the same?

Again, sister I applaud you!

medhacker said:
There ain't nothing wrong about calling it out. Why the need to be shy about your opinion that such topics are not handled appropriately? everyone else seems to enjoy their cyber-freedom to express how they feel, why couldn't you do the same?

Again, sister I applaud you!
why thank you!

MissMary said:
um so are some of your posts...but who's counting? :D

Psycho Doctor said:
thanks for bumping my post...

MissMary said:
If you find any post (or the original post/title) offensive click the red triangle under the person's profile and you can explain why you think it is offensive and it alerts the mods.

BrettBatchelor said:
If you find any post (or the original post/title) offensive click the red triangle under the person's profile and you can explain why you think it is offensive and it alerts the mods.

You call the post "disgusting and hateful" . While you clearly feel this is obvious, I would like to know what makes the thread disgusting or hateful in your opinion.

femmedargent said:
You call the post "disgusting and hateful" . While you clearly feel this is obvious, I would like to know what makes the thread disgusting or hateful in your opinion.
WHOA!!!
You misquoted me there.

BrettBatchelor said:
WHOA!!!
You misquoted me there.

Ooops, sorry, my response was in reference to the poster who called the poll "bold, disgusting, and hateful"

Although the same could be said of Tucker Carlson. <ducks>

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho Doctor said:

As a fellow URM, I believe that some of the OPs posts can be over the top. It's her opinion which is great, but I dunno starting a new thread when you can just shoot a PM to the mods w/your opinion....

The OP is aware that mods are not paid to sit at a computer and monitor every post that comes up, 24 hours per day, and that they handle things when they see them.........

Isn't she?

Complaining about the Mods....that's a bannin'.

the op is like the rev. al sharpton of sdn, from what i can tell from her posts.

:laugh:

Re: The OP is aware that mods are not paid to sit at a computer and monitor every post that comes up, 24 hours per day, and that they handle things when they see them.........

Isn't she?

1. there were 3 to 4 moderators monitoring the pre-allo forum since this morning. i am certain that one of them saw it. that is when the thread should have been closed.

2. the DO YOU RESENT URMs thread has been one of the top threads since it was started. not very hard to miss. you certainly didnt miss it.

3. the moderators would not have to monitor every thread, just the active ones, which are always at the top.

4. furthermore, they wouldn't even have to read all the posts. the titles itself is offensive. dont think a: DO YOU RESENT WHITE FOLKS? thread would have been taken very well either.

5. if i wanted to send a PM, i would have done so. I dont make decisions based on what others think i should do.

6. if PMing is such a good idea, why didnt the OP of the DO YOU RESENT URMs thread, just PM a few ppl, ask them questions, and get his answers that way

MissMary said:
supposed "inappropriate" threads, but the racist and offensive ones (like: DO YOU RESENT URMs) stay put. It's pretty funny, don't you think?

Maybe mods are all part of the 500 years war?

I'm an URM and all, and I didn't find the post offensive. Yeah, racism and prejudice are out there, but its just as shameful to wipe it away like it doesn't exist. I think its useful information to me to know that I'm resented by my peers. Putting a post up doesn't create anger, it just gives it a much more visceral form which we can't ignore, which bothers some people. I can deal with people resenting me.

MissMary said:
Re: The OP is aware that mods are not paid to sit at a computer and monitor every post that comes up, 24 hours per day, and that they handle things when they see them.........

Isn't she?

1. there were 3 to 4 moderators monitoring the pre-allo forum since this morning. i am certain that one of them saw it. that is when the thread should have been closed.

2. the DO YOU RESENT URMs thread has been one of the top threads since it was started. not very hard to miss. you certainly didnt miss it.

3. the moderators would not have to monitor every thread, just the active ones, which are always at the top.

4. furthermore, they wouldn't even have to read all the posts. the titles itself is offensive. dont think a: DO YOU RESENT WHITE FOLKS? thread would have been taken very well either.

5. if i wanted to send a PM, i would have done so. I dont make decisions based on what others think i should do.

6. if PMing is such a good idea, why didnt the OP of the DO YOU RESENT URMs thread, just PM a few ppl, ask them questions, and get his answers that way
Let me reiterate the protocol if you want something closed down/post removed.

Click the red triangle under the posters name. This will alert the mods via the MOD SIGNAL from the roof of SDN HQ.

If you follow the procedure you are much more likely to get what you want done rather than make a thread slamming them. They are VOLUNTEERS.

MissMary said:
No, I don't find it funny. Contrary to popular opinion, the moderators of Pre-Allo and the SMods and Admins who help out are not online 24-7.

Your assumption that we aren't concerned with dealing with offensive threads is not only false, it's offensive to us as well.

I received close to 40 reported posts on Monday alone. On Tuesday I went through every single post again, including the posts in threads I had already closed, and deleted posts or removed text because I knew that the racist comments were still inappropriate, offensive, and viewable.

Closing the "Do you resent URMs?" thread was the first thing I did when I logged into SDN today thanks to helpful users reporting the post. Should you have any concerns in the future, PM the moderators of the respective forum or use the Report Bad Post icon.
report.gif

MissMary said:
I highly doubt 3-4 moderators with privileges in this forum were monitoring Pre-Allo this morning. Only the moderators of Pre-Allo, Super Moderators, and Administrators have privileges in Pre-Allo. For example, if I see a bad post in Pre-Osteopathic or the Internal Medicine forums, I don't have the privileges to remove the post. And if some of these moderators with privileges on Pre-Allo were online, they may simply have missed it.
I can't see threads when I'm not online. The first time I opened the thread, I closed it immediately after.
If you find something inappropriate, use the Report Bad Post icon.
Again, I took action on the thread when I first viewed it. Your assumption that I saw the thread and just let it go is insulting.
You started a thread based on an entirely faulty assumption. Instead, you could have sent a PM to the moderators or used the Report Bad Post icon and we would have acted accordingly when we had the opportunity.

so we were all insulted. my apologies. thank you for closing the forum.

We are such an insulted bunch, aren't we?

MissMary said:

Isn't she?

Heh, yeah, I've never gotten done reading stuff on here and simply gotten up and gone to bed without closing the browser. It's never happened. No way someone logged on to the server isn't actually sitting there at the screen, it's impossible! I'm sorry, but I just have a problem with people trying to give grief to the people who've volunteered to keep this VERY active board moderated, they work very hard for free and should at least be given the benefit of the doubt, if not some actual *GASP* respect. I don't always agree with their decisions, but I appreciate their willingness to help out and do their best, AND to take the flack that people give them. And as far as not sending a PM because you 'do what you want, not what others want you to do', well, if you want to be part of a community, including an online community, 'ya gotta follow the rules and procedures of that community.

BTW, thanks mods for all the work you do, yall deserve some appreciation now and again, and we don't show it often enough.

I am not going to say that the first amendment holds true on SDN, but the spirit of intellectual openness and unregulated discussion is another thing. If you're not being attacked, I don't think a thread needs to be closed. If the idea is offensive and you're not capable of pointing out how to others, then you're probably wrong.

Phil Anthropist said:
You're welcome

Sorry, Phil. I think you guys were out to lunch on this one. The topic is one that deserves open debate. I haven't looked at the thread, so I don't know if it went to personal attacks, but the topic itself isn't insulting by definition.

If we, as a nation, are going to help some into med school at the potential cost of others, we should be open about why and whether it's working how it was intended.

RayhanS1282 said:

many of life's little lessons, all in under 30 minutes

MoosePilot said:
Sorry, Phil. I think you guys were out to lunch on this one. The topic is one that deserves open debate. I haven't looked at the thread, so I don't know if it went to personal attacks, but the topic itself isn't insulting by definition.

If we, as a nation, are going to help some into med school at the potential cost of others, we should be open about why and whether it's working how it was intended.

I did not see the specific post referenced, but in general terms agree with Moose. A respectful, civilized general debate about the merits of policies related to URM applications to medical school should be allowed in my opinion.

Also, to the OP, just this week I used the little red triangle thing to alert the MODS to an offensive post (regarding a specific URM SDNer) and Phil A. removed the post within the hour. The triangles work.

RayhanS1282 said:

My favorite episode of The Simpsons: "PTA Disbands"

Old Man Jaspers:

"Talking out of turn… that's a paddlin’
Looking out the window... that's a paddlin’
Staring at my sandals... that's a paddlin’
Paddlin’ the school canoe… oh, you better believe that's a paddlin’"

MissMary is such an instigator.

I hear she's quite contrary...

alright, that was bad.

sleepy_dwarf said:
I'm an URM and all, and I didn't find the post offensive. Yeah, racism and prejudice are out there, but its just as shameful to wipe it away like it doesn't exist. I think its useful information to me to know that I'm resented by my peers. Putting a post up doesn't create anger, it just gives it a much more visceral form which we can't ignore, which bothers some people. I can deal with people resenting me.
in addition, the misuse of AA creates the very racism that it was designed to correct

Phil Anthropist said:
No, I don't find it funny. Contrary to popular opinion, the moderators of Pre-Allo and the SMods and Admins who help out are not online 24-7.

Your assumption that we aren't concerned with dealing with offensive threads is not only false, it's offensive to us as well.

I received close to 40 reported posts on Monday alone. On Tuesday I went through every single post again, including the posts in threads I had already closed, and deleted posts or removed text because I knew that the racist comments were still inappropriate, offensive, and viewable.

Closing the "Do you resent URMs?" thread was the first thing I did when I logged into SDN today thanks to helpful users reporting the post. Should you have any concerns in the future, PM the moderators of the respective forum or use the Report Bad Post icon.
report.gif

I highly doubt 3-4 moderators with privileges in this forum were monitoring Pre-Allo this morning. Only the moderators of Pre-Allo, Super Moderators, and Administrators have privileges in Pre-Allo. For example, if I see a bad post in Pre-Osteopathic or the Internal Medicine forums, I don't have the privileges to remove the post. And if some of these moderators with privileges on Pre-Allo were online, they may simply have missed it.

I can't see threads when I'm not online. The first time I opened the thread, I closed it immediately after.

Again, I took action on the thread when I first viewed it. Your assumption that I saw the thread and just let it go is insulting.

You started a thread based on an entirely faulty assumption. Instead, you could have sent a PM to the moderators or used the Report Bad Post icon and we would have acted accordingly when we had the opportunity.

you always do good work, Phil and spend a lot of your valuable time helping keep this forum in check. hereas i didn't see anything wrong with that thread the last time i read it, at around 9 AM, I respect your rifght to close it and I don't blame you for being offended at Miss Mary's attack; you certainly didn't deserve that.

Mr. Adventure said:
I hear she's quite contrary...

alright, that was bad.

I GET IT :D

i was afraid when i read it that i would never get it, but i did...i really did :laugh:

MissMary said:
oh...you mean threads you personally like or dislike, and how the sdn govt might not quite be following your exact whims? pick your poison, censor everything or censor nothing. but you cant have it your cake and eat it too.

as for mods and sdn administration id rather pay them than thank them. its better to put an exact value on the feeling of indebtedness and graciousness rather than leaving it up in the air. IMO

Phil Anthropist said:

report.gif

Maybe SDN needs a higher number of mods. The paradigm of 2-3 volunteer mods per forum is what creates this "problem" (I don't really think it's a huge issue). You could have as many as 10 mods in pre-allo and it probably wouldn't hurt anything (as long as they were chosen carefully).

MoosePilot said:
Maybe SDN needs a higher number of mods. The paradigm of 2-3 volunteer mods per forum is what creates this "problem" (I don't really think it's a huge issue). You could have as many as 10 mods in pre-allo and it probably wouldn't hurt anything (as long as they were chosen carefully).
you'd make a good mod :thumbup:

MoosePilot said:
i disagree. might as well reduce the number of mods and hire them, to work shifts perhaps. smaller govt. stronger and more tangible incentives. but this is just the way i think. i think too many mods running around would be chaos rather than order. theres enough tattling and outcries in pre allo as it is. let ppl work things out amongst themselves, youd think pre allo was an elementary school playground.

What a bunch of brownnosers

How does the fact that MODs are volunteers make it improper to make a post to express your opinion about how they have handled a situation?

Had you complained because the post was made on the pre-allo forum as opposed to a more general forum, then there would have been more sense to your replies.

For one, this post allowed everyone to express their own sentiments to how the matter of the URM thread was handled

Now if that is a bannin' then ban away! just make sure SDN is well known for bannin people who respectfully express their discontent, even if it is discontent with the SDN "gov't" as some of you have so risibly termed those who administer the forum.

I personally see nothing wrong with making a post to make an open/public criticism about the administration of SDN, if anything it allows others to contribute to it and share if they feel the same way or not. Furthermore, it allows the MODs to provide their opinion and rectify any situation that needs be rectified. This could not possibly occur via a PM to the MODs.

In my opinion, some of you are resentful of what the OP may have said in other threads and have used this opportunity to feed a flame against her. This, again, I feel is a shame and worthy of criticism in itself.

So, if criticizing, anything or anyone (in the appropriate forum sections, that is) is a reason for bannin' then you do what you have to do! , if you do be it known you condone the suppresion of unpopular opinions and hide behind the facade of disrespect to the mods.

The OP is a member of the SDN community who somehow (correctly or incorrectly) felt that the issue of race (which pertains her in a direct manner) through a thread, was not being handled appropriately. Why should the existence of the "report" button preclude her from wanting to get a public opinion on how that thread was handled?

I truly question the intentions of your flames toward her as I do not believe you are insulted on behalf of the MOD...

MoosePilot said:

:thumbup: :thumbup: Very well said.

Rob

medhacker said:
What a bunch of brownnosers

How does the fact that MODs are volunteers make it improper to make a post to express your opinion about how they have handled a situation?

Had you complained because the post was made on the pre-allo forum as opposed to a more general forum, then there would have been more sense to your replies.

For one, this post allowed everyone to express their own sentiments to how the matter of the URM thread was handled

Now if that is a bannin' then ban away! just make sure SDN is well known for bannin people who respectfully express their discontent, even if it is discontent with the SDN "gov't" as some of you have so risibly termed those who administer the forum.

I personally see nothing wrong with making a post to make an open/public criticism about the administration of SDN, if anything it allows others to contribute to it and share if they feel the same way or not. Furthermore, it allows the MODs to provide their opinion and rectify any situation that needs be rectified. This could not possibly occur via a PM to the MODs.

In my opinion, some of you are resentful of what the OP may have said in other threads and have used this opportunity to feed a flame against her. This, again, I feel is a shame and worthy of criticism in itself.

So, if criticizing, anything or anyone (in the appropriate forum sections, that is) is a reason for bannin' then you do what you have to do! , if you do be it known you condone the suppresion of unpopular opinions and hide behind the facade of disrespect to the mods.

The OP is a member of the SDN community who somehow (correctly or incorrectly) felt that the issue of race (which pertains her in a direct manner) through a thread, was not being handled appropriately. Why should the existence of the "report" button preclude her from wanting to get a public opinion on how that thread was handled?

I truly question the intentions of your flames toward her as I do not believe you are insulted on behalf of the MOD...

I don't feel that the thread, based solely on the title and presumed topic, was worthy of closure. However, that call was made by the mods, and so be it. The problem I had with this outcry of disgust by the OP is the fact that the post she was offended by was made shortly after MIDNIGHT, and was closed at approximately 9 am. How can she attack the moderators for not catching a post immediately that was made when most people are fast asleep? If the post were 24 hours old, truly offensive, and still up, AND she had followed the proper channels to bring it to their attention, then that would be reason to complain. But the fact is she refused to use the mechanism that is provided to get offensive posts removed, and she refused to give the mods time to wake up and eat breakfast, and lord forbid they had to go to class or work, before screaming bloody murder. This is the only thing I had a problem with, and I hardly think it's brownnosing to say so. What would brownnosing accomplish on an anonymous internet forum anyway? Are the mods gonna give me a cookie?

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree with shredder in that this is a public forum meant for discussing topics related to med school entrance. That thread was relevant to the forum topic. It violated no TOS, as it was not attacking any person or group, but was simply asking about the effect of AA on people's attitudes and feelings. Posts should not be closed just because they are not PC enough for someone. If I just up and decided one day that I think all threads talking about 'top-tier' med schools were offensive because I'm going to a state school, could I just start complaining and get all those threads closed? I certainly hope not. That said, IF the URM thread WAS a violation of TOS, and IF it WAS worthy of being closed, I see absolutely no room for complaint over the speed at which it was handled, and I think that some people may need to exercise patience and willingness to use the channels that are provided for getting things done.

Mr. Adventure said:
My favorite episode of The Simpsons: "PTA Disbands"

Old Man Jaspers:

"Talking out of turn… that's a paddlin’
Looking out the window... that's a paddlin’
Staring at my sandals... that's a paddlin’
Paddlin’ the school canoe… oh, you better believe that's a paddlin’"

:laugh: :laugh:

Did you notice how the old Simpsons episodes were so funny and memorable but nowadays it seems so bland and forgettable? It seems like the studio is just churning out episodes simply for the sake of keeping it on air. But I guess that's the price for being on air for...what is it ...11 seasons?

Still, it's better than most of the stuff on Fox. Arrested Development was funny so of course that had to be cancelled but The OC must return for a new season. :rolleyes:

RayhanS1282 said:
:laugh: :laugh:

Did you notice how the old Simpsons episodes were so funny and memorable but nowadays it seems so bland and forgettable? It seems like the studio is just churning out episodes simply for the sake of keeping it on air. But I guess that's the price for being on air for...what is it ...11 seasons?

Still, it's better than most of the stuff on Fox. Arrested Development was funny so of course that had to be cancelled but The OC must return for a new season. :rolleyes:
R, I think the Simpsons has been on since 1988. I'm having trouble with numbers but I think that's a lot of years - at least 11. And Family Guy and American Dad are quality. Oh, and they have FOX News stuff on FOX occasionally, just in case you don't get enough of it on FOX News. And that always makes me laugh. Just the other day they were dispelling the liberal media bias by showing "IRAQ: The Untold Story". Iraq is doing great, by the way. FOX News told me so.

MattD said:
the post she was offended by was made shortly after MIDNIGHT, and was closed at approximately 9 am. How can she attack the moderators for not catching a post immediately that was made when most people are fast asleep? If the post were 24 hours old, truly offensive, and still up

Check your times again, the post was live for approx. 34 hours.

Nonetheless, I feel Phil's reply message at the end of the thread was quite appropriate. Thank you.

Phil,

Hows about making an addendum to the TOS?

List of conditions that necessitates bannin':
1. Complaining about the mods...that's a bannin'.
2. Questioning the mods...that's a bannin'.
3. Starting AA threads...that's a bannin'.
4. Starting minority in medicine threads...that's a bannin'.
5. Homework questions...that's a bannin'.
6. Personal attacks...that's a bannin'.
7. Illegal AAMC file sharin'...that's a bannin'.
8. Making asinine addendums...you better believe that's a bannin'.