I love medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know I'm not a medical student, so that's my caveat.

I don't believe in the whole "my friends are all enjoying life in their 20's, making bank, etc - I'm missing out on life."
There are only a limited number of jobs out there that actually have high social prestige and decent monetary compensation out there.

Every job has sacrifices. For example:

For law, it's law school + the bar exam + climbing the ladder.
For medical school, it's medical school + residency.
For finance, it's a lifelong path of competition of climbing the corporate ladder.

I don't believe there is a job out there where you can relax and have fun throughout your 20's and then suddenly by age 40, you're suddenly making decent amount of money, have a job that people respect, etc.

Have you never heard of PA school? There are plenty of jobs/careers where you can relax and have fun throughout your 20s and then by age 40, make some decent amount of money. Depending on where you live, even teaching meets that criteria. I know a high school science teacher up north who makes $80,000 a year. Not six figures, but close, and with three months of the year off, not to mention Christmas vacation, spring break, and all federal holidays.

You apply the same logic - we should tell high schoolers to not study for their classes and SATs because they're missing out on the prime teenage years of their lives.

Wow, that analogy couldn't be more off. Comparing the amount of time it took for high school and SAT studying with the amount of time people dump into med school and board studying? I don't even know how to reply to it it's so ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...anyone for whom this is a thrilling experience had a pretty terrible life beforehand, whether they know it or not. I'm not saying med school is the worst thing ever - I actually enjoy it - but the alternatives are infinitely better. For every "Hey, that's cool!" moment, there are 5-6 "I have no freedom whatsoever" moments, and the latter are only that scarce because, after a little while, you start to tune out how much what you're doing sucks compared to what most 20-somethings are up to.

Paying off student loans while working in some $40k/year cubicle hellhole filing TPS reports all day? Spending half a paycheck on rent for a 1 bedroom studio apartment and a leased car?

Come on, don't be intentionally naive about this. You know what I meant. Even so, I'd definitely rather be earning a decent salary in a "hell hole" than doing what I'm doing now. There's no question about it. Cubicle work would make me postal if it was my long term outlook, but I'd take it over these last couple years any day if I could still become a doctor in the same amount of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
What most 20-somethings are up to? It may be tough, but you are doing something incredible with your life. Most 20-somethings are working boring jobs sitting at a desk where the highlight of the day is a break at the water cooler. Think about it. You are doing something far more interesting than most 20-somethings can ever imagine.

yup... you miss out on some life-related events, but in terms of your time at "work," you definitely have an edge as a med student/resident/attending. You really get to make a difference, connect with people when they are most vulnerable, and provide reassurance. Especially in the inpatient setting where people are acutely ill, and scared (a lot of good is done in the outpatient setting, but it is a lot harder to motivate people to PREVENT illness than to get them to correct something that actually hurts/bothers them).

Paying off student loans while working in some $40k/year cubicle hellhole filing TPS reports all day? Spending half a paycheck on rent for a 1 bedroom studio apartment and a leased car?

I think you watched Office Space too many times :p

Look, like everything in life, your experience in med school and how it would have compared to your experience had you not gone to med school depends.

For some people, it's really not that big a deal. They worked ridiculously hard in college, they work ridiculously hard now, don't mind that they don't have free time, and love the social aspect of it. Some people handle med school the way they'd handle a full time job: go to class in the morning, eat lunch, study in the library until 5 pm, go home. Keeping that schedule helps them stay sane. For some, it's utter misery and they wish they could do just about anything else. For most of us, there are good and bad days.

For what it's worth, I worked between college and med school, and I really didn't mind it for about a year- after that, I was bored and I wanted my real life to start. But it doesn't have to be the mind-numbing misery you all make it out to be. There's a lot to be said for having even a little bit of disposable income and time to spend it. I chose medicine in part because I wanted to have something more than "a job" that I would do the minimum amount of hours allowed to go home with a paycheck. I've always wanted something more than that. But having had that kind of job- the one you keep because you want a paycheck- it does have some benefits. I was never stressed. I never took it home with me. I did what I had to do and no one told me I should stay longer because of some "responsibility".

So med school isn't totally miserable for everyone at all times, and working in something other than medicine isn't totally miserable for everyone at all times.

Med school is great, but can be draining. All about balance, because too much of one side will be the death of you!

Another thing is having a "life" isn't always meeting a bunch of new people and partying...since I dislike those things and still have somewhat of a life. I think it's about what you want and desires. If you don't care about going to stupid parties 4-5 days a week and prefer just to chill with friends, then that's good.

So you can keep your current hobbies in med school for the most part. Except for 3rd year, where I hear you basically have little time to actually eat meals, and work out a max of once a week :scared:

I think most of the students capable of being admitted to medical school are likewise capable of earning a little more than $40k/year. I've noticed people keep making that comparison when the reality is that a lot of the premeds that are applying to medical school are some of the brightest kids at their universities. At my school, the vast majority of the top students in every science department is premed. They all could have chosen other paths. Similarly, the top students in the business and humanities aren't as overwhelmingly in line for the same type of postgraduate drain that the premeds are (though plenty of them will).

You don't? To me, that sounds like a description of most jobs a person with a college education would hold. Judging by the comparisons you made, it sounds like you're underestimating how much work you're in for.

I don't know about you...but a bachelor's from Stanford (my alma mater) on average only has $55,000 starting salary which unless you get an advanced degree of one sort or another, it isn't going to go up by much. You can't afford much with that after taxes around here...given that you can find a job in the first place.

Have you never heard of PA school? There are plenty of jobs/careers where you can relax and have fun throughout your 20s and then by age 40, make some decent amount of money. Depending on where you live, even teaching meets that criteria. I know a high school science teacher up north who makes $80,000 a year. Not six figures, but close, and with three months of the year off, not to mention Christmas vacation, spring break, and all federal holidays.

PAs can never be their own boss. This has been discussed.
And it's awesome that teacher makes 80,000. Unfortunately, they nationally only average $40,000 and are grossly underpaid..

Everyone has to make sacrifices one way or another to succeed. That's how I see it. If there was a way which the above statement wasn't true, then everyone would just do it.

a bachelor's from Stanford (my alma mater) on average only has $55,000 starting salary which unless you get an advanced degree of one sort or another, it isn't going to go up by much. You can't afford much with that after taxes around here...given that you can find a job in the first place.
So...don't live in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I'd be thrilled to be making (instead of spending) $55k per year right now. Even if you have a family to support, that's a pretty decent living. As a single guy, I'd be overflowing with cash.

PAs can never be their own boss. This has been discussed.

Uh, so? I'm not the poster you're quoting, but as an observer, that wasn't one of the things you stipulated. What you said was you didn't know of a job where you could have fun in your 20s and be making a lot of money in your 40s. PA's do just that, as do a number of people in many other fields.

What most 20-somethings are up to? It may be tough, but you are doing something incredible with your life. Most 20-somethings are working boring jobs sitting at a desk where the highlight of the day is a break at the water cooler. Think about it. You are doing something far more interesting than most 20-somethings can ever imagine.

Wow, have you people ever worked real jobs? I graduated with a group of pretty intelligent friends, all of which could probably have handled med school had they had the inclination. My best friend is working with flight simulators at an aerospace company. Starting at about $50k. My roommate is working for one of the big four accounting firms, also starting at around $50k. My girlfriend is working in marketing in LA for a fashion company. Yesterday, they were doing a photoshoot at the beach. Her friend is working for one of the big 3 talent agencies.

Not one of these people are working more than 40 hours (or filing TPS reports). Nor will most of them ever have to study for another exam. There are many, many, MANY things outside medicine, which many people here don't seem to understand.

:
For law, it's law school + the bar exam + climbing the ladder.
For medical school, it's medical school + residency.
For finance, it's a lifelong path of competition of climbing the corporate ladder.

I don't believe there is a job out there where you can relax and have fun throughout your 20's and then suddenly by age 40, you're suddenly making decent amount of money, have a job that people respect, etc.

You are aware more careers exist than law, medicine, and finance right?

That's funny. My friends in medical school still can watch movies, come visit me at the beach every couple weeks, and see their friends/family. Maybe they're just smart. Idk.

As for your first point, maybe you should have gotten an undergraduate degree in something that pays better. I know I can quit med school after two-three years, and still be less in debt than some of my friends who went to Duke.
Penis-Cat.jpg

I legitimately love my life. Med school itself is great: I like the subject material, I like my classmates, I am able to spend a good (but not totally perfect) amount of time with my fiancee, and I feel I have a good social life. All in all, I am probably as happy as I have been at any point.

Then again, I was happy in high school and in college, too. I think that as long as you are able to adjust appropriately and school does not take up 90% of your time (like it did during anatomy), you will be about the same as you were before.

I'm kinda curious what the WORST thing about medical school is. Especially for the people who have hated it.

1) Not bringing in a paycheck
2) Massive debt
3) Long hours
4) The material
5) Your peers
6) Abuse as an MS-3 (which I hear is pretty bad)

It's hard for me to gauge if I would absolutely despise medical school or not. I've been poor my entire life and I've always been happy, so I don't see money being an issue. I've never been a partier and I enjoy spending time reading in the library. On the other hand, I don't know how I'd deal with being yelled at in the middle of a crowded hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda curious what the WORST thing about medical school is. Especially for the people who have hated it.

2) Massive debt
3) Long hours
4) The material
5) Your peers

It's hard for me to gauge if I would absolutely despise medical school or not. I've been poor my entire life and I've always been happy, so I don't see money being an issue. I've never been a partier and I enjoy spending time reading in the library. On the other hand, I don't know how I'd deal with being yelled at in the middle of a crowded hospital.

Well, discounting the verbal abuse (I'm not there yet)...I think for me the hardest part is feeling dumb. I didn't get a 4.0 in college, but I always performed well when I put in a lot of effort. For the most part, the more hours I put in, the better I did. That hasn't always been the case in med school. There is just so much material, especially in a subject like anatomy, that mastering it all is basically impossible. This means that you can study a LOT and still be mediocre- there is nothing more demoralizing than that. Also, I'm very much not a spatial person, so even when I knew anatomy very well, I couldn't visualize it and always underperformed in anatomy practicals. Thankfully I go to a school with an integrated curriculum, so a great performance in physiology, histology or embryology has definitely saved me more than once. But not being good at something that was taking up so much of my time and energy was truly one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. It was just...draining.

To those of you who are miserable in medical school, do you think you will be happy as an attending? Why?

The pattern you'll notice on SDN is as follows:

Most med students telling you how medical school sucks the humanity from you, with a smattering of med students, like the OP, giving their hoorah fist pump about how amazing it is. The pre-meds then jump in and defend the OP, using a lot of :love: and :soexcited:, because in essence they are just defending their own decision to pursue medicine. The reality is these pre-meds are entirely ignorant to what it feels like to be in medical school, and their decision to join the team of the isolated OPs while ignoring the chorus of other medical students that are generally in hell is nothing more than selective listening and self-justification.

The reality is that medical school IS enjoyable for a select group of people. And these people, almost by definition, have personality disorders. You'll see them when you get to medical school. Excited about things they really should not be excited about . . . preferring to shovel random lists of facts into their heads rather than just enjoying the mental space of relaxation . . . having no sense of intellectual creativity or capacity to discuss something other than biochemical pathways.

If you then ask me, why am I putting myself through this, well, it's because I have an end-goal. Medicine happens to allows me to meet this goal. But make no mistake, if you have even an inkling of normal in you, you'll be a year into med school, read the OP, and start changing your emoticons to :boom: and :barf:.

:thumbup::laugh:
PREACH MR PREACHER!!!! PREACH!!! :cool:

2) Massive debt
3) Long hours
4) The material
5) Your peers

No one can explain it to you until you get here. Let me just speak for myself and give you a sample schedule:

Class -- every morning from 8-noon.
Labs -- every day. Some days from 1-5, some from 1-3, just depends.
Study time -- if I get out at 3, I start studying around 4 or 5. If I get out at 5, I start studying at 6. Either way, I study until about 10 p.m., watch an hour of TV, go to bed and do the whole thing again the next day.

That's fine for a month. Maybe even for two months. But picture the last week of MCAT studying. Now picture doing it every day for a year. Whether or not you like reading in the library doesn't mean you like sitting there and memorizing minutia for hours each day.

To those of you who are miserable in medical school, do you think you will be happy as an attending? Why?

Do you really have to ask that question? Assuming someone went into medicine for the right reasons, as an attending, you're working in the field you want to work in. You're seeing and treating patients all day, not sitting in some library cubicle trying to master biochemical pathways. It's like asking someone "if you hate college, what makes you think you'll like working for a living?"

I am not quite miserable. Nevertheless, I will bite.

I will be definitely be happy as an attending b/c my responsibility rests solely on my responsibility for a patient, for saving someone's life, for pursuing what I have always wanted to do, and for teaching those who are training below me. Yes, there will be other burdens that are quite pervasive in medicine...but the prospect of having to deal with them does not make me want to become a physician any less.

The reason many students are "miserable," at least during third year clinicals, is largely because they are students and not higher up. It's not so much the time constraints, but the lack of control that is bothersome for many students. For example, as a resident, once you are done with your work, you sign out and leave. As a student a lot of times, once you finish your work you have to wait around until your resident tells you that you can leave. Besides reading up on their patients, students also have to prepare for shelf tests, or do write-ups to hand in, or prepare presentations, or meet up with preceptors, go to lectures, etc. For residents, this stuff is minimal. And that's not to say that residents work less hard or anything; they don't. But their work is more focused and geared towards their ultimate goal of what they want to practice. Attendings have it even better because of this.

For a thread that was started for the sole purpose of being inspiring, this has to be the most depressing thread I've ever read through on this site...

I'm wondering if there are a disproportionate number of dissatisfied med students on SDN because the ones who love med school pretty much don't need or want to read a site like this. Otherwise it sounds like 75-80% of med students are miserable (which might be true... I will soon find out I guess)

I love it when pre-meds tell med students that med school isn't that bad.

Yes, there are a lot of people on SDN who aren't crazy about med school, but to dismiss them as a few unhappy people is short-sighted. I think more people than not are unhappy in med school. Most people cope and get through it and some actually enjoy it. But if it was true that the majority in this thread who don't like med school are full of it, suicide rates among med students would be equivalent to the general population. That's not the case.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=731745

I love it when pre-meds tell med students that med school isn't that bad.

Yes, there are a lot of people on SDN who aren't crazy about med school, but to dismiss them as a few unhappy people is short-sighted. I think more people than not are unhappy in med school. Most people cope and get through it and some actually enjoy it. But if it was true that the majority in this thread who don't like med school are full of it, suicide rates among med students would be equivalent to the general population. That's not the case.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=731745

I didn't see a single post here saying medical school "isn't that bad"...not from a pre-med anyway. What some people, including me, were saying is that the lives other twentysomethings are leading aren't all boobs, beaches and beer either. There's just this tendency among medical students here to believe that everyone else their age is leading a totally rad life (usually with "my friend" as the shining example) and that is not true.

Think about it. You are doing something far more interesting than most 20-somethings can ever imagine.

You can still party in med school. Just not every night. But seriously guys, get it out of your system in high school/undergrad. Then you won't be so upset.

Edit: For every positive post on SDN there's about 40 negative rebuttals. So I guess we can expect a lot more "med school is hell, get out while you can, I'm a martyr" posts.

My point is, for some people, losing the crazy partying years isn't as big of a deal as others. Some people already got the craziest part of their lives out of the way and are ready for a more serious life.

That's funny. My friends in medical school still can watch movies, come visit me at the beach every couple weeks, and see their friends/family. Maybe they're just smart. Idk.

And that's just from page one. The exact words didn't need to be said for the implication to be there. Didn't you learn that while preparing for the MCAT verbal section?

So saying that you can still go out once in awhile is saying that medical school "isn't that bad"? Are you seriously saying that those assessments are false and you had ABSOLUTELY NO TIME FOR ANYTHING but studying, showering and sleeping in medical school?

I don't think anyone was suggesting there is absolutely zero time for having a life. I believe it is, what you eluded to, that it is significantly less than what they could be experiencing in almost any other path and significantly less than the rest of their peers.

I guess we can tell Narmerguy that someone has finally arrived here to tell people that there is literally zero time for a life in medical school. Huzzah!

So saying that you can still go out once in awhile is saying that medical school "isn't that bad"? Are you seriously saying that those assessments are false and you had ABSOLUTELY NO TIME FOR ANYTHING but studying, showering and sleeping in medical school?

What I'm saying (and I thought I was clear about this) is that I find it hilarious when pre-meds who've never spent a day in a medical school classroom tell medical students that it isn't that bad. And yes, countering what med students say with posts like the above is implying that they (the med students) are wrong.

I guess we can tell Narmerguy that someone has finally arrived here to tell people that there is literally zero time for a life in medical school. Huzzah!

Quit being a *******.

there is time to do fun things first and second year. The problem is that spending so much time studying and thinking about medicine makes the free time you have less enjoyable. I have trouble "getting into" TV shows now, I still like animated comedy, but anything else is uhh.. not interesting compared with all the crazy medical **** going on in my head. I was a music major in college and absolutely love music.. I still play the guitar every day, usually for about an hour or more (in random intervals, it's easy cause my room is like 90% filled with musical instruments.) but to be honest, sometimes I feel like music doesn't "move me" like it used to.. since i spend so much time memorizing and thinking about medicine, the parts of my brain that used to be totally dominant are neglected and it's harder for me to "find that place" than it used to be. I know this is because of school because when I go home on vacation I like instantly become my old self.

there is free time, but don't underestimate the way that preparing yourself for ultimate medical responsibility will affect other seemingly unrelated areas of your life. I did really try to "get it all" out of my system before starting school because of how long medical training is... I lived in two different parts of Europe for >1 year, met some amazing girls, spent way too much money taking spontaneous snowboarding trips, had an absolutely amazing time growing up and doing all sorts of crazy **** with my friends back home, played in bands, blah blah blah etc.. guess what? it wasn't enough..I didn't "get it out".. I want that life back. I wanna be totally free to go live in guam and surf in boardshorts every day for a year, move back to prague, find some kickass musicians and just travel around playing music, not making much money just being free and happy JAMMING... guess what? totally impossible for many many years.. can't complain of course cause I made this decision and have the live with the consequences lol.

Also, a huge part of why "it sucks" is being apart from your friends and family, and not being there when they need you or you need them. Watching all my friends buy houses, have kids, get into their careers, and move on with their lives is hard because in medical school you really are "stuck" at a certain point in life. Believe me, as a pre-med you are much more respected than you will be as a medical student. I know studying medicine gives ya'll hard-ons but the truth is that the level of respect one gets comes from those with whom he has daily contact with, not random family members/friends who say, "wow, we're proud of you!". As a med student you are really the lowest of the low, and it does wear on you. I felt much more respected as a waiter than I do as a med student.

but this is all temporary and luckily if you find out that you really enjoy helping people with their health (even if they don't appreciate it..) you are in for an awesome career. :) medicine is a very noble pursuit, and I am grateful for the opportunity to learn all this amazing, useful stuff.

Can't speak to a lot of what is in this thread, but I can say you make your own happiness. If you want to be miserable in med school, you will be. If you don't, you won't. You find a way.

Secondly, when visiting the school I attended I noticed most people consider Med school a net plus. They admit some weeks it blows, but they also enjoy what they do, have an interest in what they are learning (sometimes), and still find ways to go out and hang out with people, even if it just means studying in a group and blowing off steam for 10 mins every 50. And before someone quotes me and says "that's because the admissions people TELL them to say that", its not. Its from people I have been friends with since before high school.

I mean, work is sitting in front of a computer for 8-9 hours a day, so I still don't see how life is so much radder when you have a job...

You have facebook and flashgames while on a computer though.

jus sayin

Can't speak to a lot of what is in this thread, but I can say you make your own happiness. If you want to be miserable in med school, you will be. If you don't, you won't. You find a way.
True to an extent. There are times when even the cheeriest, most optimistic med student gets pummeled by the curriculum for long periods of time. As someone who typically rolls with the punches better than most, I can tell you that much for certain. Making your own misery, on the other hand, is always possible. You will meet plenty of people who harp on how bad everything sucks at all times, even when things are going pretty well. That is not a fun life to lead, I'm sure.

Happiness has a nebulous anatomy. We often tend to think that it depends on our particular situation - not enough money, wrong neighborhood, demanding education, etc. Lugubrious is the realization that it is fleeting us even after we attain what we thought we were sorely lacking. Successful people who have time and money at a later stage of their lives but are nevertheless depressed are not uncommon. Blaming anything specific for the feeling of unhappiness makes it much more difficult to accept at a later stage in life that the root of unhappiness was never really identified and by then time and youth are all gone. What a surprise it is to discover that a wealthy attorney has abysmal unhappiness unparalleled even among the homeless population after months of shelter visitations. Makes you stop dead in your tracks and think about life as a student of life, rather than a student of physics, medicine, law, or any other tangential discipline.

Happiness has a nebulous anatomy. We often tend to think that it depends on our particular situation - not enough money, wrong neighborhood, demanding education, etc. Lugubrious is the realization that it is fleeting us even after we attain what we thought we were sorely lacking. Successful people who have time and money at a later stage of their lives but are nevertheless depressed are not uncommon. Blaming anything specific for the feeling of unhappiness makes it much more difficult to accept at a later stage in life that the root of unhappiness was never really identified and by then time and youth are all gone. What a surprise it is to discover that a wealthy attorney has abysmal unhappiness unparalleled even among the homeless population after months of shelter visitations. Makes you stop dead in your tracks and think about life as a student of life, rather than a student of physics, medicine, law, or any other tangential discipline.

There is something to be said for Zen Buddhism. There is something to be said for the elimination of desire.

You guys are in for such a great ride. Self actualization was an inside joke when I wrote it in my PS, but boy is it true for me. Not a day goes by when I don't get a thrill from something I see, something I learn, or something I do. Seeing Argyll Roberston pupil, finishing your first complete physical exam, being able to take a younger student into the anatomy lab and show them the easy way to skin. What a rush.

You don't have to hate medical school. At its worst it can be tolerable, and I have yet to see anything but the best time of my life.

:thumbup:

I think mmmcdowe's getting at the intrinsic rewards of medicine. Choosing a career has got to be about the fulfillment, the satisfaction it gives you. A panoply of easier or more profitable careers exists out there, but that's not why I'm interested in medicine. Like others have said, I imagine I'd be miserable working in a cubicle or even attending law or business school. Even when medical school is finished and done with, medical practice will be a continual challenge... it's just the nature of the beast, but personally I think a challenging career can also be more interesting and stimulating.

I can't yet speak to what medical school is like. But if I'm placing myself in the shoes of a patient, I'd certainly want medical school to be difficult and taxing. Why should it be any other way? The studying in medical school has consequences for people's lives, and that's hardly the case for any other degree one might pursue. A medical education gives you responsibility unseen in any other career--intervening between life and death, constantly making judgment calls, perhaps performing surgery on people--and I think that necessarily entails more rigorous preparation. Of course curricula should be reasonable and as efficient as possible, but I'm conscious of what I'm getting to as I enter medicine (and equally conscious of what it took to get here).

garfield-head-cup-derp.jpg

Am I surprised this thread went the way of every single thread of SDN?

No.

Medical students are the gods and martyrs of the world. That will never change. Especially on SDN, where they all come to be the gods of the internets.

No.

Medical students are the gods and martyrs of the world. That will never change. Especially on SDN, where they all come to be the gods of the internets.

Dude, don't be a douche.

No.

Yeah, that was what I got flamed for about a page ago. Welcome to my world. :laugh:

Well, discounting the verbal abuse (I'm not there yet)...I think for me the hardest part is feeling dumb. I didn't get a 4.0 in college, but I always performed well when I put in a lot of effort. For the most part, the more hours I put in, the better I did. That hasn't always been the case in med school. There is just so much material, especially in a subject like anatomy, that mastering it all is basically impossible. This means that you can study a LOT and still be mediocre- there is nothing more demoralizing than that. Also, I'm very much not a spatial person, so even when I knew anatomy very well, I couldn't visualize it and always underperformed in anatomy practicals. Thankfully I go to a school with an integrated curriculum, so a great performance in physiology, histology or embryology has definitely saved me more than once. But not being good at something that was taking up so much of my time and energy was truly one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. It was just...draining.

I could totally see this being demoralizing for me... The other week I studied super hard for this test and ended up getting a 65%. Luckily the prof decided to curve it afterwords. Anyways, I thought to myself; it is one thing to not study and get a s**** grade, but it really sucks when one studies hard and gets a s**** grade.

Some people will be miserable no matter the circumstances. Some people will be happy no matter the circumstances.

This really isn't that complicated.

This idea isn't really essay worthy, IMO.

LOL!!! :laugh:

Debbie downer. :p

Seriously, this is a great thread- thanks for posting. That's how I'm hoping I'll feel in med school! It's why I'm going into this field to begin with- b/c I LIKE this stuff!

Can someone point me out to these jobs where you can have tons of sex never worry and make tons of money?

Look you are in Medschool if you are having huge regrets while you are in there the only one to blame is you. Medschool is very competitive you just didn't slip in to medschool.

Sorry but unless you came from Ivies and few other schools you have a very little chance of being an Investment Banker.

Boo hoo I have to study a lot and I don't have free time :scared:.

If you think a lot of careers people just party and have tons of free time after college you are an idiot with no sense of how the world works. Just because you choose to go to medschool doesn't mean that no one else works "hard".

If anyone has the right to complain in the academic world its Vetstudents and Gradstudents.

Last edited:
Yep! I definitely think the ration IS about 1:40. What's interesting is that it's the same ratio of "actual question" to "BS/rude/bizarre" responses. I figure anyone posting a question can expect a couple of actual and very helpful answers and about ~36 insults and ~2 disgusting pics from random posters with nothing better to do.

Edit: For every positive post on SDN there's about 40 negative rebuttals. So I guess we can expect a lot more "med school is hell, get out while you can, I'm a martyr" posts.