I made a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm not sure why I'm writing this as I can't change anything, but I need some reassurance that I didn't make a flop of a decision and possibly some good would come out of this.

I'm a junior now and I turned down a really prestigious research opportunity in SEA this summer. The job literally fell into my lap by some work of fate (long story). And it's something I was so passionate about. I was able to work under a doctor there on a my senior thesis project. It feels like a crime to turn it down.

...So I turned it down. I think you would call me stupid and you have a right to, but I decided to stay in the states to take a class, do some light research here, and study as much as I can to take the MCATs in September. I am already taking a gap year. If I were to go overseas, I would have to push MCAT studying into January or the spring semester and would just have a lot going on during the school year to really adequately study.

But sitting in class...and being here, it's really daunting on me that I could have made a really big mistake. It's not like I can take back the offer that I rejected. But it hasn't been sitting well that I really let go of an opportunity that could have been life-changing. I'm not in a race, but it really feels like this is what it has become - to get the end goal of medical school. Also, I love my family but I am first-gen, so it's really hard to just find some sort of guidance. Or have clarity. I love my mom, but if I had gotten some form of support or reassurance from her, I would have taken the leap of faith and worried about MCATs later. I just feel like I haven't done all the things I wanted to do. And yes, medical school is the end goal, but I want to learn and do a lot more and sit back and not feel like I'm in a huge rat race.

Does this make sense? I just feel a little disillusioned by the system, I guess. Sorry I had to rant, SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very minor issue in the scheme of things. This time next year, you'll have forgotten about this and have all new problems to worry about.

I don't even know what SEA is, so I am going to say: No, you are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's two sides to every issue. I'm sure if you took the research job, you'd be having similar doubts and regrets. I'd say you're doing great, keep up the good work!

SEA = Southeast Asia? Probably not missing much.

SEA = Seattle? Probably shouldn't have abbreviated.

I don't think there are too many life changing research opportunities for undergrads.

Probably not that significant to your application in the long run since you'll still have a productive summer. However, you may want to change your mindset when it comes to your timeline. Like you said, it's not a race to get to medical school. Would an extra year off really be that bad? I took two years off from school and it's been great. I've been able to strengthen my application through a couple different jobs and volunteering positions. And I've been able to spend a lot of time reading, watching TV, playing video games, traveling, hanging out with friends and family. However, I have had to move back home and am supported by my parents, which is definitely not a situation everyone may have. I guess all I'm trying to say is, don't give up experiences you would really love to have just because you might get to medical school a little bit later.

Thanks all! Yes, I meant Southeast Asia by SEA.

Thanks all! Yes, I meant Southeast Asia by SEA.

Outside of Singapore, where is life altering research happening in ASEAN? Even Singapore's best schools would hardly best top tier research universities in the USA.

Trust me... you won't even be thinking about this in a year or two.

Just study hard and take the MCAT... do well. And move on with your life.

You're fine. I thought it was going to be something serious like you were arrested or got kicked out of college.