I matched - Fiancee Year Behind in Med School - What to do for Residency Locales

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneDoc2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey:

Long time lurker; not many posts but I figured this is worth a shot!

So I've searched and this is the only thread I came up with that came close to answering what I was looking for: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=599710&highlight=transfer+++fiancee And that is really only covering some of the MI programs and DO's (which both of us are).

So I matched into an Allopathic Peds Program in a portion of the country that doesn't have more then a school or two for residencies. I'm super excited to get going but have some questions about others who have gone through this, about their experiences and what to do/how to help my cause!

So, I'm an incoming first year resident, and my fiancee (wife in 8 months) is a year behind me in med school. She will be applying for Allopathic OB Programs here this Fall. So, here are my questions:

• How do I bolster her chances of matching into the same school where I am, for residency, albeit in a different field entirely? I am going to work my ***** off to make sure that I'm a resident that the program doesn't want to see go, which I feel can only help my and her chances of matching there...
  • Any advice on getting to know other Attendings in a different field, in a University setting?
  • What are my options if she does NOT match into the same university besides obviously 'toughing it out' :scared:for two years until my residency is done?
  • If transferring is an option, and since the Match is in Mid March - how do I even approach this with my PD IF if IF I have to do that?
  • Is mid-March, aka Match time, too late to transfer AFTER completing my intern year?
  • Finding spots post-match for a PGY-2? I wouldn't want to leave anybody in the learch!

I know this is putting the cart WAY before the horse, except for the first two questions, but you know us, little med students, always trying to plan things out JUST IN CASE :laugh:

ANY advice would be appreciated - I know we're not the first, and not the last, who will be in this situation, so anybody with any experience w/ two med students separated by a year in school, I would love to hear from you all!

Thanks!

CD2B

EDIT: If this needs to be moved, please let me know! I thought about posting in the OB Section, and if that is the case, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.