I Messed Up..In Need of Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomer7200

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I messed for the first three semesters of college. I have a 3.1 gpa through the first three semesters. I received a D+ in Orgo I as well. This semester I transferred and was able to get a 3.7-3.8 as I realized I needed to change. Next semester I am retaking Orgo I.

I am just not sure if I can make it still and I have no idea what kind of timeline I should be following. I also do not care if I go to MD or DO school.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Just do well since now. 2 years of straight As will improve your GPA and alleviate concerns if coupled with good MCAT score. As long as you have ~3.4 GPA you should be fine for most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Med schools seem to really appreciate upward trends. Make sure you bear down and really work hard in the rest of your classes, and start studying for the MCAT hard and early so you can get a score that is truly representative of your capabilities as a student. Take a gap year and get some really good clinical experience, and you'll likely be a pretty competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I messed for the first three semesters of college. I have a 3.1 gpa through the first three semesters. I received a D+ in Orgo I as well. This semester I transferred and was able to get a 3.7-3.8 as I realized I needed to change. Next semester I am retaking Orgo I.

I am just not sure if I can make it still and I have no idea what kind of timeline I should be following. I also do not care if I go to MD or DO school.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you very much.
Ace the remaining two years and you'll be OK

Med schools seem to really appreciate upward trends. Make sure you bear down and really work hard in the rest of your classes, and start studying for the MCAT hard and early so you can get a score that is truly representative of your capabilities as a student. Take a gap year and get some really good clinical experience, and you'll likely be a pretty competitive applicant.
When do you think I should take the MCAT. I won't be able to take bio chemistry until senior year now.

When do you think I should take the MCAT. I won't be able to take bio chemistry until senior year now.
Thank you.. that's my goal. I am just not sure when I should take the MCAT, and things of that matter.

If I were you I would start working on some study materials at least a year out. You likely won't want to take it until you've finished biochem, cause that's a pretty important section. I took the MCAT the spring term that I graduated, and that's not something I would recommend because it was super stressful. I think I would defer to @Goro on this one, cause he may have some better advice.

Especially for someone like yourself who will be somewhat limited in terms of GPA ceiling, make sure to take it when you are absolutely ready. Multiple practice tests should have scores in your goal zone before you sit and take the real thing. When exactly is a hard question to nail down, but don't be afraid to take the scenic route to get there.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors