I need a 20AA/18PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmoney

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well folks, my plan is to take the DAT first week of august this year. I need to get a 20AA/18PAT and thats it because I'm in a 3/4 program.

I am signed up for a kaplan course that runs late june through early august, I'll be cutting out the last few classes because I need to take it a little earlier. I also have the kaplan blue book, though the material in that seems to be identical to the material book they sent me for the course. Can anyone elaborate on that? I have also just ordered the topscore tests.

So basically I have about 4-5 weeks before the course starts. I am working 3-4 days a week at nights. I don't know yet but I'm guessing I'll have the most trouble with the PAT score.

How do people recommend I go about starting this studying? My plan is to just start going through the blue book right now. I have heard that if you know everything in the blue book you can pull a good score, but the bio is weak, just too much of an overview. I'll take Kaplan's diagnostic soon after I start studying so I have some idea of what the questions are like.

Members don't see this ad.

you can easily achieve those scores with kaplan, speaking from the experience
do the following:
-Study that blue book (big fat one) in and out, i did 4 times
-do all the HWs
-do all the workshops
-do all the flashcards
-do the lesson book
-do all three practice test plus the midterm
note: don't be disappointed if you get 17 and 18 in your midterm, it's been design to be harder than the actual one
note: take the practice tests at the kaplan center on the computer to simmulate the actual thing
note: study at least 5 hours a day, just do it, you can:D
note: study until the last minute
note: you don't need anything but kaplan
note: hardwork pays off

good luck

you can easily achieve those scores with kaplan, speaking from the experience
do the following:
-Study that blue book (big fat one) in and out, i did 4 times
-do all the HWs
-do all the workshops
-do all the flashcards
-do the lesson book
-do all three practice test plus the midterm
note: don't be disappointed if you get 17 and 18 in your midterm, it's been design to be harder than the actual one
note: take the practice tests at the kaplan center on the computer to simmulate the actual thing
note: study at least 5 hours a day, just do it, you can:D
note: study until the last minute
note: you don't need anything but kaplan
note: hardwork pays off

good luck

thanks for the replies. seems like kaplan will do those scores for me as long as i put my effort, I have the topscore tests too so those should hopefully give me a little more practice...

Members don't see this ad :)
another note: I wouldn't bother with the kaplan passage mapping strat for RC

another note: I wouldn't bother with the kaplan passage mapping strat for RC
Yeah that seems beyond useless. I remember getting one of my friend's books he had gotten from a kaplan class for the sat and they had something similarly pointless for the reading part.

I've looked through and done the problems in the review book for the QR and just went through the PAT jumpstart on the CD.

For the math, it seems that 60% will be pretty simple, and I'm recalling it pretty easily having not done math in a long time. The geometry with lines and stuff is gonna be all down to practice as is memorizing the special triangles. The trig stuff worries me a bit, I don't remember the arcsin stuff nor the manipulating of equations to get sin^2 + cos^2 = 1, etc.

My thoughts through the PAT jumpstart. The front/end view can be tricky but you have to be really careful and look for the little things. Pattern folding is a bitch, especially since you can barely tell what is shaded and whats not. Keyhole seems pretty ok, just gotta be careful. Hole punch seemed really easy :hungover:unno:. Cube counting is pretty tough, just gotta look very carefully at what is missing in the back. And I was dreading the angles, but they are pretty straightforward to get down to 2 choices.

And just to make sure, do you even get scrap paper or a pencil? THe ADA site says you get a dry erase board and thats it. Is there anything you can do to use as a straight edge or right angle for the angles?