I need a complete guide on how to become an MD!

I am the Walrus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting from community college in Toronto =:)(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you are going to have to do a bit of research if you want specifics, but your general rundown should go something like this.

-Start College
-Major in something science related (biology, chemistry, physics, or mathematics).
-Get really good grades (strive your absolute best to maintain a 4.0 gpa)
-Study for MCAT
-Participate in extracurriculars (honor societies, pre-med clubs, and volunteer projects are all great on your resume).
-Shadow some doctors (particularly in family practice/primary care & whatever other specialty interests you)
-Try to squeeze in some research (in your junior/senior year of college talk with a prof and get yourself working in a research lab.. if you can get something published then all the better)
-Study for your MCAT (you should aim to take your mcat in your junior or senior year)
-Med schools love to see students who challenge themselves and succeed, so try to take heavy loads/overloads if possible.. HOWEVER don't do so if it comes at the cost of your GPA.
-Fill out your AMCAS apps (senior year)
-Send out apps
-Go to interviews
-Matriculate into medical school

Now obviously this is just a bare bones model of what to expect, but hopefully it gives you a good starting point on what to expect and what you need to start researching. There are a lot more details that you need to know and understand so do your research! If you are too lazy or unmotivated to research the entire process inside and out then you have already proven that this is not the career for you! Good luck!

Well you are going to have to do a bit of research if you want specifics, but your general rundown should go something like this.

-Start College
-Major in something you enjoy.
-Get really good grades (strive your absolute best to maintain a 4.0 gpa), while enjoying college and having a social life
-Study for MCAT
-Participate in extracurriculars (honor societies, pre-med clubs, and volunteer projects are all great on your resume) and more importantly, things you enjoy doing and that you're passionate about
-Shadow some doctors (particularly in family practice/primary care & whatever other specialty interests you)
-Try to squeeze in some research (in your junior/senior year of college talk with a prof and get yourself working in a research lab.. if you can get something published then all the better)
-Study for your MCAT (you should aim to take your mcat when you feel ready.
-Med schools love to see students who challenge themselves and succeed, so you cantry to take heavy loads/overloads; HOWEVER take course loads that you are comfortable with.
-Fill out your AMCAS apps
-Send out apps
-Go to interviews
-Matriculate into medical school

Now obviously this is just a bare bones model of what to expect, but hopefully it gives you a good starting point on what to expect and what you need to start researching. There are a lot more details that you need to know and understand so do your research! If you are too lazy or unmotivated to research the entire process inside and out then you have already proven that this is not the career for you! Good luck!

edited

-Major in something you enjoy, or something that is "easy"
-Study hard in Organic Chem/Biochem/Physics
-Get a 34+ on the MCAT
-Do some research
-Shadow someone
-Do some volunteering
-Do random crap to fill up 15 slots on the AMCAS application

Done! You will get into med school fairly easily if you complete these simple tasks.

-Get a 34+ on the MCAT
-Do some research
-Shadow someone
-Do some volunteering

Done! You will get into med school fairly easily if you complete these simple tasks.

:lol:

I almost choked on my own spit. Oh man!! But seriously, follow that list and be consistent in your activities. :smuggrin:

Hey Walrus,

I write a blog on this very topic (maybe not so much the community college part). I don't think I am allowed to put a link to it in a post but if you click on my profile you will find it via my facebook page.

Good luck!
Survivor D.O.

PS. Anyone know the requirements for creating a signature? I don't seem to have the options

Hey Walrus,

I write a blog on this very topic (maybe not so much the community college part). I don't think I am allowed to put a link to it in a post but if you click on my profile you will find it via my facebook page.

Good luck!
Survivor D.O.

PS. Anyone know the requirements for creating a signature? I don't seem to have the options

You mean you can't find the option to create a signature? Click that drop-down menu that says "My Account" on that navigation bar thing at the top, then click "Edit Signature" to get there.

Also, cool blog, I'm checking it out right now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As a general rule, do things that show that you understand what medicine is about (shadowing/clinical job exp.), are committed to serving people (volunteer), have leadership and teamwork abilities (extracurriculars/employment), and can survive medical school (GPA and MCAT). I know I'm reiterating things that have already been said, but hopefully my post gives you more insight on why you should be doing these things. Your application should support the notion that you are the type of person that will be a good fit for the profession. With that said, make everything you do mean something to you, so you can discuss it meaningfully, otherwise you can come off like you're just checking off boxes to get in. Everything should be an end by itself rather than simply a means to medical school. I think a good couple of books to check out are "Getting into medical school" by Sandford Brown and idk the title but the other one is by Jessica Free(d)man (sp?). Lots of good info. Remember that adcoms are looking for specific types of people, albeit still diverse, rather than check box applications with no meaning. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T769

You mean you can't find the option to create a signature? Click that drop-down menu that says "My Account" on that navigation bar thing at the top, then click "Edit Signature" to get there.

Also, cool blog, I'm checking it out right now.

Oddly enough, that button doesn't show up for me. No idea why! I did get a TOS violation for putting a link to my blog directly in a post, perhaps that is the reason.

Glad you liked the blog, I hope it is helpful and entertaining!

Survivor D.O.

Last edited:
Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, is your intent to go to med school there or in the US? It's very hard for an int'l (even a Caanadian) to get accepted to a US MD program.

What premed prereq classes have you taken so far?

2 semesters of Bio
2 semesters of Gen Chem
2 semesters of Organic
2 semesters of Physics
1-2 semesters of Math (people often take Calculus and/or Stats).
Some schools may require other courses.

When will you be transferring to a university?

Look on various univ websites for their Pre-Med advising websites. Those can provide all kids of info.

-Get a 34+ on the MCAT
-Do some research
-Shadow someone
-Do some volunteering

This is good advice, though I wouldn't do random crap, but rather things I am genuinely interested in. :luck:
Also is a bit harder for Canadians to get into US med schools. Just look into that in here by using the search button.