I need advice about the major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I'm in desperate need for advice here, I am interested in drug development, manufacturing, research and all the science-y behind the scene stuff, that is my goal and based on that I chose pharmacy considering I will further my studies if that is required. I have browsed through the forum but I haven't really found anyone with a similar desire as mine. I need to know if I am on the right track here.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You kind of are, except the route you're going to take if you want this is the industry route. Try checking out industry fellowships (that's your main way of getting into these companies and the research and behind the scenes work). The 2 biggest fellowship program schools are Rutgers NJ and MCPHS Boston.

And... join IPhO if your school has a chapter affiliate.

You would want to get a PhD if development and research are your interests.

Very, very few PharmDs end up in such roles. Go to pharmacy school only if you're okay with a dispensing role. 70% of the jobs are in retail followed by 20% or so in hospital dispensing. In your case, a PharmD would be a complete waste of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would want to get a PhD if development and research are your interests.

Very, very few PharmDs end up in such roles. Go to pharmacy school only if you're okay with a dispensing role. 70% of the jobs are in retail followed by 20% or so in hospital dispensing. In your case, a PharmD would be a complete waste of money.

How can I take a PhD without a lower degree like pharmacy to support my studies?

How can I take a PhD without a lower degree like pharmacy to support my studies?

Are you asking about requirements for PhD programs? It depends on the school and the PhD program. For example, UK has several different pharmaceutical science programs, (but only one requires you to have a PharmD first) but I think for the most part you just need ug degree....

Don't quote me on the undergrad degree though. But if you do go that route, most schools pay for your tuition and give you a stipend...

Pharmacy is not a lower degree, as you state... its a doctorate degree... based on your original post, you need a degree in pharmacology.
Do you mean a PhD in pharmacology or a BS in pharmacology?
I meant that pharmacy is a professional doctorate and where I live we can't take a PhD without doing some work before.

Are you asking about requirements for PhD programs? It depends on the school and the PhD program. For example, UK has several different pharmaceutical science programs, (but only one requires you to have a PharmD first) but I think for the most part you just need ug degree....

Don't quote me on the undergrad degree though. But if you do go that route, most schools pay for your tuition and give you a stipend...
Thanks!

Do you mean a PhD in pharmacology or a BS in pharmacology?
I meant that pharmacy is a professional doctorate and where I live we can't take a PhD without doing some work before.

Thanks!
It appears that curriculum and requirements are different where you live. You need to research it yourself carefully...

It appears that curriculum and requirements are different where you live. You need to research it yourself carefully...
I will be studying in the U.S and I don't have much knowledge about the situation there which is why i'm asking

I will be studying in the U.S and I don't have much knowledge about the situation there which is why i'm asking

Knowledge can be obtained through research on your own... based on your statement "where I live we can't take a phd without doing some work before" suggests that your intent was to study outside of the US.... nonetheless, just like a phd, PHARMD requires at minimal prerequisites... proly about 85 percent of students who enter a PHARMD have bachelors degree completed... you need to do a search to understand the difference in the professions...