This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNT'21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i've been admitted into UNT with a major in allied health for arts and science program, but my profession is pharmacy. I feel like I should've taken something like biochemistry to have the prerequisites to get into pharmacy school. Would I still be able to get in for pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what your major is as long as you take all of the classes required by the pharmacy school that you are applying to. So in your case you would just have to add biochemistry into your schedule as an extra class, or you could change your major to something that more closely aligns with the pharmacy school pre-requisites.

With that being said many pharmacy schools don't even require you to have a degree, so if you are 100% sure that you want to go to pharmacy school you could just take all of the pre-requisite classes and than apply right away without even getting a degree. This could save you 1-2 years of undergrad.

Oh okay so I can take the pre-requisite classes as a freshmen with a major in allied health correct? I can leave the major as it is? Because saving 1-2 years of undergrad would be really nice. I'm new to all of this so it's a little overwhelming, sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay so I can take the pre-requisite classes as a freshmen with a major in allied health correct? I can leave the major as it is? Because saving 1-2 years of undergrad would be really nice. I'm new to all of this so it's a little overwhelming, sorry!

It just depends on the policy of your school. The school that I went to for undergrad required me to meet with a facility adviser to discuss my schedule, that way they could make sure that I was taking all of the classes required for my degree before I submitted it. This meant that I had to take all of the gen-ed classes like philosophy, personal wellness, world cinema, history of art, and all of that crap to get a degree. The classes that every major has to take. In theory you could just not take any of those classes, only take the pre-requisites for pharmacy school, and just start pharmacy school without ever getting a degree. That way you don't have to take all of those bogus classes and save yourself a year or two. I think most degrees require, in total, around 120-130 credit hours where if you add up the pharmacy school pre-requisites for most schools it only comes out to around 60-70 credit hours.

It just depends... will your school let you do this? Do the pharmacy schools that you want to apply to require a degree?

If you school doesn't let you do this then you could either take all of the classes required for you degree in addition to any pre-requisite classes that you are missing, or choose a different major that already includes all of the pre-requisite classes in it. The bottom line though is that the pharmacy schools don't really care what your major is, they just care that you completed all of the required classes with high grades. Most people are biology majors or chemistry majors; biology is defiantly the easier route in my opinion if you have to choose. Some schools even offer pre-pharmacy as a major, mine didn't.

I personally had two majors; biology and chemistry. So I had to take all of the pharmacy pre-reqs anyways to get my degrees. The only reason I did this is because I didn't know what I wanted to do so I wanted to keep as many doors open as possible. If I were to do it over again I would have just taken all of the pre-reqs ASAP and applied.

Last edited:
The thing is I chose allied health thinking that pharmacy would fall under that category because there wasn't a specified major for it. I didn't realize my mistake until my application was submitted. But I looked on the site for the admission requirements for the school and it states that I don't need a bachelor's degree to be admitted into the program. Here: Prerequisite Coursework - College of Pharmacy I already emailed my advisor about the issue

The thing is I chose allied health thinking that pharmacy would fall under that category because there wasn't a specified major for it. I didn't realize my mistake until my application was submitted. But I looked on the site for the admission requirements for the school and it states that I don't need a bachelor's degree to be admitted into the program. Here: Prerequisite Coursework - College of Pharmacy I already emailed my advisor about the issue

Changing your major isn't a big deal. It's as easy as walking into your adviser's office and telling them to change it. I would see if it's possible to not take the gen-eds that aren't pharmacy school requirements, and if that fails just change your major to something that already includes all of the pharmacy requirements.

Those adviser's will likely be more concerned with you taking all of the classes for your major, which includes the gen-eds, than they will be with anything else. Their main job is to make sure you don't forget to schedule some class and graduate late; but since you don't care about a degree that isn't really a concern that you share with them.

Okay I'll do that! Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it!