I need advice for applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelleca4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend wants to become a doctor and plans to enter fall 2006. He only has Ochem and one year of biology left to finish, after he graduates from UCI this June with an Electrical Engineering degree. He has a cumulative 3.7 GPA and has volunteered at a hospital.

My questions:
Should he get more experience?
Do you think he'll get accepted into CA medical school if he maintains his GPA or at least one medical school in the US?
What is the lowest MCAT score he can get, to maintain his competitiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.7 GPA should make your boyfriend competitive for most schools. An MCAT of 30+ should keep him competitive. If he applies to all the California schools with a 3.7/30 or better, he stands a decent shot at getting into one, and definitely should be able to get into some medical school in the U.S.

California schools have the unfortunate distinction of being among the hardest to get into, even for state residents (hence more than 50% of California residents applying to medical school end up leaving the state).

1 year of Bio isnt cake (esp if its upper division, like biochem, molecular, and cell), but Im sure it he'll do fine if hes good at sciences.

I agree, 3.7/30+ should make you very competitive, anything lower then that you are treading in murky waters.

Clinical experience is important because it will let the adcoms know that you arent going into this profession "blinded"

Volunteering is also good, shows empathy and the humanity side

Clubs and organizations are good too, shows leadership side

Research is good too, shows analytical side

He should look into getting the MSAR from AMCAS, it gives the portfolio of entering classes for all US med schools

But if you really want a good idea your boyfriend should call the medical school and talk to someone from the adcom to gain better insight

Members don't see this ad :)
uci also accepts a lot of its own students. in 2001 (they havent updated to my knowledge) they accepted 26 uci students.

He may also have to defend his decision to (what the interviewer might see) 'switch' from EE to med. I know I had to... lots of times.

My friend, don't be misled. It's not just numbers. 3.5, 3.7 or a 3. 3 are nothing more than numbers. There are numbers, for the most part, that will exclude you from getting into medical school, like a 2. 9....but there are always exceptions too.

He needs to be interesting. He needs to define himself in a way that is different from the rest of the applicants. All of us have done volunteer work in a hospital, well most of us. So, he can check that off, but that doesn't excite adcoms. If he volunteered for some social service agency because he really cared about the service they were offering, it would look better and give them something to talk about during the interview. Also, he should have interest outside of medicine, academics. If it's a talent or a sport, highlight that too. They want well-rounded individuals.

Has he done any research or independent studies. That's always good to do and a great way to secure a good letter.

Again, don't think numbers are the answer. Many people make that mistake. He needs to jump off of the page, they need to see an individual that is real, honest, compassionate, human.

And the 30 MCAT is not a rule. Nothing lower than an 8 or a 9 will do him fine. for instance a 10, 10, 9 won't kill him. I have a friend with 11, 11, 8 and he has 3 acceptances. And I met a guy with straight 9's and he's a second year at Temple.

He should also apply wide. He needs to write a great essay, a compelling essay. Avoid crappy essays that they receive all the time like how the death of his grandmother made him realize, blah, blah.. They get the dead grandparent essay all the time. Don't try to be poignant and emotional to win sympathy, but if he's overcome so legitimate hardships, he should highlight that. When writing, remember "less is more." Keep it tight.

I had a cynical thought. Are you asking about his competetiveness because you are wondering whether or not he is boyfriend-worthy? You sound more concerned about whether or not he gets in then he does. Wait until you see his mcat score before making any longer term plans. ;)

Appy EARLY. I think this matters more than anything!!!

You have no idea how much of a difference it makes. I didn't submit my AMCAS till November and didn't start interviewing till January!!!