Nov 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Hi guys,

Here's the thing, I'm all set to apply this year (for the first time). I haven't taken the DAT yet. I plan to submit my application early June. I planned on taking the DAT in June, but I know for a fact that I am nowhere near ready. Let's say I submit my app June 3-4, and then take the DAT in mid-July, would it kill my chances? What if I took the DAT in late July? mid-August?

Thank you guys so much :D

FutureDent020

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Dentist
Your application just won't be complete nor reviewed until your DAT scores come in. If you take the DAT mid July, plan on receiving application complete/ under review emails around late August. I took the DAT June 23, submitted my application July 1st, started receiving application complete emails around Aug.13.

BBDDS

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
Take the DAT ASAP in case you have to take it a second time. I took my DAT last June, did not do great, took it again as soon as I possibly could which was September (because you have to wait 3 months between tests) and did great but Sept. was way too late. I feel I would have gotten MANY more acceptances if I would have been able to get my score in sooner.

Jun 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Your application just won't be complete nor reviewed until your DAT scores come in. If you take the DAT mid July, plan on receiving application complete/ under review emails around late August. I took the DAT June 23, submitted my application July 1st, started receiving application complete emails around Aug.13.
But isn't it true that if you apply with AADSAS on june 3rd [without the DAT] that they will go ahead and do the 4-8 week transcript verification? And from this year the DAT is supposedly instantly sent [as opposed to taking 3-4 weeks to be sent out].
I realize that schools will not review one's app until DAT is included, but I have been told by many that initially the transcript verification is what takes 4-8 weeks, which is why everyone recommends to apply even if DAT is taken later.
For example, I will be applying June 3rd and taking the DAT first week of August...should still be considered an 'early applicant' based on my SDN searches over the past months (taking DAT at that time will catch up to time when all grades are verified, especially for someone like me who will have 4 different undergrad transcripts).
Just want clarification, thanks so much!

FutureDent020

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Dentist
But isn't it true that if you apply with AADSAS on june 3rd [without the DAT] that they will go ahead and do the 4-8 week transcript verification? And from this year the DAT is supposedly instantly sent [as opposed to taking 3-4 weeks to be sent out].
I realize that schools will not review one's app until DAT is included, but I have been told by many that initially the transcript verification is what takes 4-8 weeks, which is why everyone recommends to apply even if DAT is taken later.
For example, I will be applying June 3rd and taking the DAT first week of August...should still be considered an 'early applicant' based on my SDN searches over the past months (taking DAT at that time will catch up to time when all grades are verified, especially for someone like me who will have 4 different undergrad transcripts).
Just want clarification, thanks so much!
Yea, you are correct. AADSAS will verify your GPA because you will put in the DAT category that you plan on taking the DAT. At least I think this is the case. The school will not review your application until they receive your DAT scores though.

alexamasan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I was wondering the same thing, though that is a little of a bummer that they have to wait for your DAT scores to come in, I suppose that's understandable. But is it the same way with late letters of recommendation?

Dec 16, 2009
Status
Applying early is obviously important, but I've spoken to a couple deans who said that since the application cycle is over a year long, most schools don't start reviewing applications for the new cycle until August. That varies between schools, of course, but I think as long as you plan to have all your stuff done by August at the latest, you should be okay for most places.

I'm also retaking the DAT this summer and trying to decide when I should do it. I'm looking at maybe mid-July. You don't want to be late, but if you rush and do poorly on the exam, then you're certainly not doing yourself any favors.

Nov 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Thank you x 10000!

Okay, so my understanding is this:

Hypothetically,

I submit June 3rd. I turn in my LORs and transcripts ASAP. it takes 4-6 weeks to verify and complete everything. So application complete will be around July 15th. I take the DAT July 15th, they get it by the end of July/early August. This is the time they start reviewing apps (depending on the school? So I'm still early?

Thanks again!

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Take the DAT ASAP in case you have to take it a second time. I took my DAT last June, did not do great, took it again as soon as I possibly could which was September (because you have to wait 3 months between tests) and did great but Sept. was way too late. I feel I would have gotten MANY more acceptances if I would have been able to get my score in sooner.
Rushing to take the DAT to meet an imaginary deadline is never a good idea.

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
Does anyone have something from AADSAS verifying that DAT scores are instantly added to your application?

cmcner

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Status
Dentist
Rushing to take the DAT to meet an imaginary deadline is never a good idea.
Completely agree, if you aren't ready reschedule. This is one of the most important parts of your application, it is also one of the quickest parts to update. Submit your application on time and keep studying and take your DATs in early to mid July, if that's not enough time for you to study you're doing something wrong with your time management. There are barely any schools that start reviewing applications until the end of July, you just have to get your application in because it takes them time to make a file for you and cash your check. But once you have a file they can just drop your DAT score right in.

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
I've already combed through their website trying to find something saying this but I've found nothing.. That's why I asked for documentation. This would involve a direct, specific link to something saying that DAT scores are instantly.. or very quickly reported.

Nov 24, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Completely agree, if you aren't ready reschedule. This is one of the most important parts of your application, it is also one of the quickest parts to update. Submit your application on time and keep studying and take your DATs in early to mid July, if that's not enough time for you to study you're doing something wrong with your time management. There are barely any schools that start reviewing applications until the end of July, you just have to get your application in because it takes them time to make a file for you and cash your check. But once you have a file they can just drop your DAT score right in.
I know it's different for everyone, but I hear that you should study at least 3 months for the DAT. My finals end in mid-May, and that's when I can seriously devote 12 hrs of my day to DAT study, everyday. In that case, if I take it early July to mid-July, I would have studied only 1.5-2 months. I don't know if that's enough. I know it's quality over quantity, but I'm still scared. Why does everyone always say 3 months???

FutureDent020

7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Dentist
Because 3 months provides sufficient time to cover the material at a gradual pace and get through a lot of practice tests. 1.5- 2 months is a solid amount of time too though. I started studying right after I graduated, May 15, and took on June 23. I was able to get through the Destroyer 2-3 times and make notecards for the questions I kept getting wrong or weren't sticking. I took 5 CDP tests and 3 topscores. Then I ran out of time. So I was able to squeeze a good amount of work into less than a month and a half. I studied from 9-5 every day.

*Study smart, not hard*

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I know it's different for everyone, but I hear that you should study at least 3 months for the DAT. My finals end in mid-May, and that's when I can seriously devote 12 hrs of my day to DAT study, everyday. In that case, if I take it early July to mid-July, I would have studied only 1.5-2 months. I don't know if that's enough. I know it's quality over quantity, but I'm still scared. Why does everyone always say 3 months???
If you have a job or are taking classes over the summer, you would need 3 months. If you can go at it full time, I think 1.5-2 months is sufficient.

Dec 16, 2009
Status
Does anyone have something from AADSAS verifying that DAT scores are instantly added to your application?
I don't think it's instant. I know they've switched to electronic so it shouldn't take 3 weeks anymore, but one admissions officer told me that it'll probably still take some time to process. You could call your top schools and see if they'd be willing to accept a faxed copy of the unofficial DAT score sheet you get at the end of your exam. I know some schools do that so they can start reviewing your app immediately instead of waiting for the official report.

In that case, if I take it early July to mid-July, I would have studied only 1.5-2 months. I don't know if that's enough. I know it's quality over quantity, but I'm still scared. Why does everyone always say 3 months???
It really depends on how you work. Do you work better when you have lots of time or when you're under pressure? Do you have a good source for the material, or do you need to spend time compiling information from multiple sources? Are the study methods you use time consuming (for example, can you absorb material just by reading, or do you need to write out tons of flashcards)? Will you be focusing only on studying, or will you be taking classes or working or doing something else while studying? These are all factors that'll determine how much time you need to spend. There's not a right or wrong way to study, or a specific amount of time you need to study. Every person is different. Just remember - keep cycling between the subjects so you don't get rusty & do lots of practice problems.

The test is not that hard. You won't be asked difficult, complicated questions. It's all pretty straightforward. The only reason it takes a while to study is because there's a LOT of information they can test you on, and you have to know all of it. You need time to be able to go over the information repetitively until it sticks in your brain. I think it can definitely be done in 1.5-2 months.

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I've already combed through their website trying to find something saying this but I've found nothing.. That's why I asked for documentation. This would involve a direct, specific link to something saying that DAT scores are instantly.. or very quickly reported.
It's not instant and I wouldn't even call it very quick. It takes about 3 weeks. The score report you get after the test is unofficial. The ADA will audit the test to make sure everything is accurate and that is most likely why it takes the 3 weeks.

May 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I thought it took 4-6 weeks....not 3? Also I never heard of it being sent instantly (i'm going to call tomorrow to find out)

It's not instant and I wouldn't even call it very quick. It takes about 3 weeks. The score report you get after the test is unofficial. The ADA will audit the test to make sure everything is accurate and that is most likely why it takes the 3 weeks.