I Need Advice Please!!! Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice! Okay I am a sophomore in college. My first year I went to one school I liked. Its not a well known school and very underrated. Well, I transfered to another school that I am now finding to be highly over-rated. Well, maybe the school is not over-rated but just not the school for me. Well, I dont want to go back to my old school for certain reasons but at the same time I'm not enjoying or liking the school I am not now. I often feel like giving up school thats how unhappy I am. So, I am thinking of applying to another university. The thing is I am eventually going to apply to dental school. How will the dental school adcom feel about a student go to three didfferent schools in 3 yrs in a row? Will they see this as a person who easily runs away from something she/he doesnt like? I dont know if its b/c the school I am attending is the wrong school for me or if there is a problem that lies within me and that I need to change myself and maybe I would like going to this school more. I say that because SO MANY STUDENTS WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE to go to the school I go to now! There are people who will reject the really good universities they have been accepted to just to go to community college in the city of the school I attend in hopes of transfering to my university. So, it makes me think that if people would love to be where I am, maybe I should be grateful for being able to go to the school that I do. I dont know if transfering to a new school will change things and make me happier. Maybe the school isnt the problem, maybe its me......

So, I would like opinions:

How do you guys think Adcoms would feel about going to 3 different schools?

Should I just suck it up and stay at a school that others would love to go to??

I'd really appreciate help and advice!!!!!!! ~Eris~

Members don't see this ad.

Just get through it. School is always tough at times. I wouldn't run away from your problems. Try to find a way to make it work. Everyone gets discouraged or depressed when they first start out at new schools and don't fit in/do well. Just take it day by day and you will get through it.

As far as how Adcoms would feel about someone attending three different schools in three years, I do not have an answer, but maybe I can help with the other question.

You have to think about what, specifically, is making you unhappy about where you are now. If it is something like, you don't like your classes or professors or the workload, that is not a justifiable reason to switch to a third school; you will encounter those problems anywhere. To fix that you just need to change your attitude about college and realize that it is a gateway to dental school; get motivated.

On the other hand, if it is some problem specific to that university, that you wouldn't encounter at all in any other university across the US, then you should seriously consider transferring. Being miserable for three years will influence your grades, social life, school activities, everything. College is a lot of work, but it's also about having some fun. Its not worth staying there if you hate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, since it is your first year there, you may still be getting used to it. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to feel comfortable in a new place. I wasn't crazy about my unversity for a few months as a freshman, but only because I was out of my comfort zone. I eventually got used to it.

Thank You Snahster and Ice for the responses!! I really appreciate the input on my situation.

Snahster: I really am trying to take things day by day. You are right I shouldnt run away from my problems. I guess I am just confused as to whether or not transfering fixes my problem, worsens or makes no difference to my problem. Your advice implies that I should be strong-will'd which I indeed would very much like to be!!

Ice4804: I'm glad you see school isnt all work and no play; I most certainly dont want to be miserable. I know what is making me unhappy is not the coursework! I can definatly handle the coursework. Grades have worsen here (not b/c work is hard), social life has gone negative and I tried to participate in school activities but ehhh :-/. I dont fit in well at this school but I dont know if transfering will change things for me. I just dont want my future e.g. applying to dental school to be shot to hell b/c AdComs thinks Im a punk for changing schools; like they will think i'm not strong-willed and do what I must to get ahead and stop being a baby.

Here is another question: Is "following your heart" a good excuse for doing something or a punk excuse for running away?

Appreciate the Opinions/Advice/Help!!!!

~Eris~

Here is another question: Is "following your heart" a good excuse for doing something or a punk excuse for running away?

Appreciate the Opinions/Advice/Help!!!!

~Eris~

Haha...no, following your heart is not an excuse it's something you should always do. But I would suggest you give this new school a little time. Do you feel like you aren't fitting in because you're new and therefore don't have many friends to hang out with everyday? That's how it is going to be at any new school unless you move back to your old one. I'm a little confused as to why you left your original school in the first place? Was it a matter of prestige? While it may make a smidgen of a difference to ADCOMs, for the most part they don't care where you went to school as long as you did well have the extra cirriculars, good LORs, etc. to back it up. But for now I'd say give this school a semester and see how it goes. If not "follow your heart." Good luck!