I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madam k

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i need your advice on this. I graduated at a private university. I want to take more science classes to improve my GPA in order for me to apply to dental school. The only problem is I cannot afford to go to a university, especially where i went to school.($800/unit) So do you guys think that it is okay for me to take classes at a state university? Do the credits count toward the overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

you can go to Podunk Community College. It won't make much difference. Trust me.

k-

Atlas is right. I graduated from a private university 4 years ago and am taking classes at a community college right now to improve my science GPA. One thing to note, though: some state dental schools (public) limit the number of hours of coursework that they will accept from community colleges. For any state schools that you're applying to, it's best to call the Dean of Admissions and discuss the particular work that you plan to complete. The private dental schools usually do not care.

Best of luck,
Smile doc ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that taking courses at a community college is not a good idea for raising yoru GPA up. I go to a private university which has a dental school. I talked to the dean once and he made it clear that taking courese from a community college is not given as much credit as compared to a regular university. In addition, he also went on to mention that where you went to school matters. For instance, some of the state schools in california are not the best. Thus, the dental school notes this and sees that an A recieved from certain state schools are not as good as an A received from others.
And by the way--private schools also do limit the amount of credits transferable from a community college.
I'd say the best thing to do (if you cannot afford private) is go to a well known state school....

Thank you for replying to my post...Beagle, I live in southern california, do you happen to know any well know cal state school? I'm thinking taking classes at cal state long beach, CSFU, or UCI? Please give me advice....