I Need Advise on How to Build a Competitive Application for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenix16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm 23 years old and I graduated from college last year. I spent my first year and a half as an undergrad in a community college before transferring and graduating from a four year university. I have a Bachelor of Science degree and I majored in Biology. Currently, I'm working as a Clinical Research Assistant in Anesthesia at Duke University and I want to apply for dental school by June 1st, 2018. Here's a short breakdown of my credits, grade points, scores, etc.:
  • Total Credits: 131
  • Total Grade Points: 395
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.01
  • Science GPA: ~2.65
  • Dat Scores
    1. AA = 16
    2. Biology = 16
    3. General Chemistry = 16
    4. Organic Chemistry = 14
    5. Perceptual Ability = 17
    6. Quantitative Reasoning = 15
    7. Reading Comprehension = 21
    8. Survey of Natural Sciences = 16
I'm a recovering alcoholic and a lot of my struggles really took there toll on me in the last year and a half. I wasn't healthy enough mentally for the DAT and shouldn't have taken it, but I did. My grades Senior year could have been much better, but they aren't. I'm surprised I even landed the job I have now. I'm very lucky.

I've taken the steps to treat my body better, because above all else my health is the most important thing. I've been 3 months sober now, almost 4 months, and I'm ready to steer my life back in the right direction. What do I need to do to make sure I stand a chance when I submit my application in June of next year? I was thinking of taking some courses at Duke, perhaps some of the courses I didn't do well in as an undergrad. I also need to really prepare well for the DAT and ace it on my second try.

What should I do? Who should I talk to? What steps should I consider taking? What advice do you have for me if you're a non-traditional dental school student/applicant/matriculate or if you've been in a similar situation as myself?

I'll make an effort to reach out to my friends who are currently in dental school. I'll see if I can visit a couple of them - one that attends a program in Louisville and another in Tennessee.

Feel free to ask for more details about me, if it'll help you help me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your progress regarding alcohol addiction.
I honestly think you should quit the job, work on your post-grad gpa and retake the dat.
But I am afraid if you leave your job, you'll lose some part of the stability in your life and that might mess up your soberness progress.
So, my second advice is to take your time, work on your gpa and retake the dat while working part time. you don't have to apply next year, you can apply after two years from now.
Coz when the body feels stressed, it will need something to take it away. Since you already been sober for 3 months. That stress might hurt you.

So, take your time. No need to hurry.

You are not the only non-traditional here, you are still young, so focus on your health and don't stress yourself.

You want to apply to dental school in one year and have a science GPA of 2.6 and a DAT AA of 16?

You are looking at a few years of hard work to get to the point of applying and having a good shot at dental school, as well as proving that you have the capabilities to get through dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
so, if you go back to do a post-bacc, 30 hours straight of all A's in sciences class would give you ~ 3.2
I don't know how many science GPA hours you have, but i assumed 80. So add 30 hours of straight A's, that would bring you to a 3.02 science GPA.
Surprisingly, you can work with those stats.
Get a 24+ on your DAT and I think you could have a shot. You're most likely looking at a more expensive, less competitive, private school, unless URM.

Edit: Connections/relationships go a long way.

Reactions: 1 user