I need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasminegab

psych student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Junior in college with a 3.5 GPA. I must do a my pre-med program in graduate school because my major dosen't allow me time enough to take pre-med studies. I'm a non-traditional student and I'm in a degree completion program for people already holding degrees or dipolma in the health field. I don't just want a certificate of hard science courses. I rather have a MS degree in the end rather than $10,000 to $20,000 debt for a certificate. So, I've been looking into graduate programs which offers me the opportunity to do my pre-med studies as well as work towards a MS degree. One program which I'm really interested in is Long Island's University Medical biology program which would allow me to do my pre-med studies while I work towards my MS degree.

The problem that has me worried is that I'm already in debt for like $45,000 from undergraduate work. You can only have $130,000 total debt before you can no longer apply for federal financial aid. If I do this program, I'll owe at least $90,000 before I even hit medical school. I'm worried that I won't have enough money to graduate from medical school.

In addition, I've been reading how some have used the Master degree route to help them get into medical school and I'm just wondering how one pays for medical which will surely cost at least $100,000 in addition to undergradute loans. I don't have good credit and my mom's credit is shot. So, how does one pay for medical school? Is there some kind of speacial loan program for medical students which I dont know about? Or, is there grants that are optional for medical students?

I'm determined to become a physican. That is why I went back to college after working 2yrs as a medical assistant. I just don't know how I'm going to do it financially right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the specifics of med school financial aid since I am just doing all the paperwork now. But there are always private educational loans from banks. The interest rates are higher though :( You might try calling the financial aid office at your state school later this spring once the busy part of the admission cycle is over and ask them what yur options are.

Do you have interest in doing primary care? There are the national health service scholarships that pay for your medical education and you serve 4 years in primary care in an underserved area. Some states have similar loan forgiveness programs which will repay your loans after residency for serving the underserved. There is also the military HPSP scholarships. They pay for everything at the school of your choice and you also get a living stipend and in return serve in the military. There is also a military med school uniformed university of health sciences (of something like that) where there is no tuition and you serve to pay it back.

There is also a financial aid forum on here. You could post there and see what people think. Good luck :)

Try private loans, and see if your parents can help spot you the interest money, if possible.