I Need All the Advice I Can Get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magic87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my second semester of senior year and I have my heart set on medicine, I just don't know if my grades match my desire to become a doctor. I want to go to a Pre-Allopathic program, and only U.S. based schools. Please let me know what you guys think my best course of action would be. I have listed my grades in all of the science courses I have taken. I am a bio major with a second major in biomedical engineering.

Calc 1- A-
Chem 1- B+
Chem2-C
Calc 2- C
Orgo 1- C
Orgo 1 lab-B+
Bio 13 Cells and Organisms- D
Bio14 Organisms and Populations-A
Orgo 2- A
Orgo 2 lab- A
Bio 41 Genetics- A
Bio 62 Molecular Biotechnology- A
Bio 13 Cells and Organisms- A
Physics 1- A
Physics 2- A
Bio 46 Cell Biology- A
Bio 115 Physio 1- A
Bio 116 Physio 2- A
Bio 164 Marine Biology- A
Bio 131 Principles of Medical Imaging- A
Bio 174 Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering- A
BME 50 Introduction to Biotechnology- A
CHBE 95 Independent Study- A

As you can see I started out pretty slowly with the 2 C's in Chem 2 and Orgo 1, as well as the D in Bio 13 Cells and Organisms. I retook the Bio class and managed to pull of an A. If someone were to ask me why did I do so poorly, I wouldn't be able to come up with a good excuse (Didn't have to balance school with job, or illness), but rather I'd explain to them I finally matured. I have done research for 3 years in tissue engineering, and I have written multiple papers on the subject. Although i haven't been able to get published, I feel as if my research has become an important part of my daily life and I enjoy sharing my findings with whomever is interested in learning. I have completed over 50 hours of physician shadowing at my local shadowing, and I also had the opportunity to spend another 50+ hours shadowing a Cardio Thoracic Surgeon in India.

I took the MCAT and got a 34S. With all of these stats, do you think I have a legitimate shot and getting into a U.S. Medical School? My main concern would be my GPA. My BCPM is close to 3.3 and my overall GPA is 3.65 I look forward to hearing what you guys think. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should list your extra curic activities. Also are there any grade trends that we should know about?

You have a legitimate shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a GPA of 3.65 and an MCAT of 34S and excellent research experience, you'll get in somewhere, considering your poor science grades were all in your early years. The weakness in your application is a lack of community service and clinical experience (the shadowing alone is not sufficient, IMO). I would combine both necessities by volunteering in a clinical environment.

A leadership role, and some other interests (sports/the arts/music) and hobbies would be good to mention, too. You want your application to reflect an interesting person who seems to be well-rounded. If you have overlooked getting in some clinical exposure, you really need to get that going as soon as possible, if you intend to apply next summer.