I need Help/Advice/Guidance Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdgenerationMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I really need some good advice, I feel like its me against the world here and no one wants to help so I will briefly tell you my story. I always wanted to be a doctor growing up all through high school and in my adolescent years. My parents are both doctors my mother being an Emergency room physician and my father and orthopedic surgeon. My grandfather was also a doctor, so being the first born son it was always expected of me to do the same. Around the age of 17 or 18 I really started to resent my parents, heavy drinking, experimenting with drugs, nothing crazy but typical behavior of a teenager. So when I arrived in college I decided to do what all my friends were doing, which was study Finance. Over the years I really started to mature, I landed a huge internship at an investment banking firm and long story short I despised every minute of it. I knew the life of sitting behind a computer crunching numbers, making spreadsheets, and just being a cog in the machine wasn't for me.
Fast forward to my junior year of college, my father receives a call from work after his shift, he's talking to a nurse updating him on a patient and he started grinning ear to ear. "I love my job," and he hangs up the phone. He loves his job? How is that possible I thought. No one loves there job right? Wrong. From there I spent the entire summer researching and exploring my options. Soul searching, deciding if a carear in medicine would be right for me. I have always been a smart kid but not like my parents who are nothing short of genius.
So this is where I stand and I need some good advice. I have a 3.2 from a top 25 business school in the US. I have taken Calc 1and 2 Chem 1 and 2. I have three options at this point. Go to study medicine in Europe where I am a duel citizen, take the pre recs at my school or apply to a post bac. I really want to go in the U.S., but I don't really know what I would have to do to make it happen. I feel like no one is helping me at my current university because I am a finance major. The pre health advisors don't want to deal with me, and I am getting extremely frustrated. I have looked into post-bac programs and I really like UVM's Tuft's and Havard E.S. programs but I cant find any information on my chances of getting in. How difficult are they? Do you recommend them? Please guys any insight or advice you could give me would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Post-bac programs are a dime-a-dozen. Just do your homework. There are plenty of them that are for career changers like yourself.

Make sure to do the requite ECs. Do shadow anyone in your family, and certainly don't you dare ask a family member for a letter of recommendation. It's Ok to use connections to find a doctor to shadow though. Ditto for getting some clinical volunteer work in.

Do NOT go to Europe, as IMGs have a hard time gaining residency positions here, and it will get harder.

Post-bac programs are a dime-a-dozen. Just do your homework. There are plenty of them that are for career changers like yourself.

Make sure to do the requite ECs. Do shadow anyone in your family, and certainly don't you dare ask a family member for a letter of recommendation. It's Ok to use connections to find a doctor to shadow though. Ditto for getting some clinical volunteer work in.

Do NOT go to Europe, as IMGs have a hard time gaining residency positions here, and it will get harder.

I have already taken chem 1 w/o lab chem2 with lab calc 1 and 2 and bio 1 have I taken too many preqs to apply to career changing post bacs?

Members don't see this ad :)
That may depend upon the program. You can do post-bac DIY. Just take a challenging course load, ie, more than one course/year.
I like the program of the career changers I don't want to do it my self.