I need help deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nickp8500

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between CCOM, NSU-COM, and KCUMB. I liked all of the schools quite a bit, and I could easily see myself at any one of them. Rotations and residency placement are the most important things for me. I am very interested in orthopaedic surgery or some other form of surgery or specialized field, so these areas are very important. Can anyone help provide some insight on how to decide on these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

The only school above that I interviewed at is NSU. I really liked it but chose UMDNJ. I am also interested in Ortho. I think NSU has a residency (not sure though) and I know for a fact they have an ortho club (I am told by the PD at UMDNJ that our school and NSU are the only ones that have active ortho clubs that are nationally recognized). Does this really mean anything, probably not but at least you will know that you will have people to guide you at NSU (you could probably do this at the other schools but might need to look harder to find people to help you out).

Anyway, look deeper into whether or not ortho is available at these places and if it is, who gets their spots. At UMDNJ they take a lot from within. Look at percentages that go into primary care as well at each of the schools. You'll get a good idea about the atmosphere from this.

Another factor might be the ability to conduct research at the school. Ortho is competitive so anything you can do to bolster your app will help. Going somewhere that has strong research opportunities for you can be an asset.

Finally, go where you're comfortable and where you will be able to do away rotations. Again, ortho is competitive, you gotta get out there and let people see your face (my only gripe so far with UMDNJ, not enough away rotation time).

Any other questions, PM me

-J

Nickp8500 said:
I am trying to decide between CCOM, NSU-COM, and KCUMB. I liked all of the schools quite a bit, and I could easily see myself at any one of them. Rotations and residency placement are the most important things for me. I am very interested in orthopaedic surgery or some other form of surgery or specialized field, so these areas are very important. Can anyone help provide some insight on how to decide on these schools?

I got accepted to CCOM and NSU-COM and chose CCOM because of the strength of their rotation sites. In addition, you don't have to relocate during your clinical years because all the rotations are in Chicago, granted you can do electives in other cities. CCOM also has a pretty good match both with allo and osteo residencies.