I need help guys.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

I feel so lost in this whole "applying to med school" deal.

Problem #1
I'm not really knowledgeable on how AMCAS works. I know that they basically take all of your information then send it to the medical schools. Does this include letters of rec and personal statements as well? I'm sort of confused as to how letters of rec work with AMCAS and all and if I am applying to 30 different medical schools does that mean I have to have different letters of recommendation for all of the schools? Is this the same with personal statements?

Problem #2
The MCAT. To put it plain and simple, I'm not ready. I had it all planned out to take the Kaplan Class then take the MCAT in September but lots of ppl are now telling me that way too late. Even though many of the schools deadlines that I plan to apply for aren't until December 15th.

If I go to the AMCAS website will that pretty much guide me through this whole process. Honestly I'm not the best applicant for this year but I still want to apply just in case I get accepted somewhere. I plan on getting my masters in chemistry and reapplying next year if I get rejected everywhere....I just feel really lost in this whole ordeal :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

dude i swear.....

1. go on the amcas website and read up on the process....
2. just because theres a deadline doesnt mean you still have a chance when you apply that late....many ppl with stellar apps who've applied in sept-oct have been rejected....so if you think ur better than them, then go right ahead and gamble.

There's a very helpful "Help" section on AMCAS that answers just about everything you need to know.

If you're not ready, don't take it. It's not a test you want to take twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Problem #2
The MCAT. To put it plain and simple, I'm not ready. I had it all planned out to take the Kaplan Class then take the MCAT in September but lots of ppl are now telling me that way too late. Even though many of the schools deadlines that I plan to apply for aren't until December 15th.

Rolling admissions!

If you apply in December, you might get in if you have a 4.00 from MIT with a double major in Physics and Aerospace Engineering... you'll also need a 40+ MCAT and a couple African villages under your belt.

And jesus, go read up on the OFFICIAL AMCAS website if you have questions about the process.

My advice: don't worry about applying this year. if *you* don't even think you're a good applicant this year (which is usually a pretty good indication) then how will you ever convince an *interviewer* you're a good applicant?

Concentrate on the MCAT and your Master's. Take the MCAT Course and the sit for the exam as you planned, and make sure you're ready for that.

If you insist on applying this year, then yes you put in your info into AMCAS and they send everything (aka the "primary" application) to all the schools you tell them to. Letters of recommendation should be sent to all those schools but AMCAS will NOT do that for you. If you have a premed committee at your undergrad, they will organize receiving your letters and sending them to schools electronically (via VirtualEvals or something like that). Otherwise, you can use those online services yourself to send them.

You don't need different letters for each school you apply to. Most schools have similar LOR requirements (ie 2 science 1 nonscience or whatever it is) and the same letters can go to all 30 schools.

I feel so lost in this whole "applying to med school" deal.

Problem #1
I'm not really knowledgeable on how AMCAS works. I know that they basically take all of your information then send it to the medical schools. Does this include letters of rec and personal statements as well? I'm sort of confused as to how letters of rec work with AMCAS and all and if I am applying to 30 different medical schools does that mean I have to have different letters of recommendation for all of the schools? Is this the same with personal statements?

Problem #2

If I go to the AMCAS website will that pretty much guide me through this whole process. Honestly I'm not the best applicant for this year but I still want to apply just in case I get accepted somewhere. I plan on getting my masters in chemistry and reapplying next year if I get rejected everywhere....I just feel really lost in this whole ordeal :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Hello. Sorry people here sometimes aren't the most loving bunch but I'll try to answer the best that I can.

#1 AMCAS is used to apply too almost all allopathic medical schools (not Texas) and they do have a very helpful website and help section. As for LORs, you would best go with your schools committee if you have one. Otherwise use interfolio or a similar service to get your LORs out to schools. Honestly, If you don't feel like the best applicant this year, I might suggest that you wait a year because if you want to reapply later ADCOMs will want to see significant improvement to your app.

#2 The consensus is that September MCATs are pretty late in the game and you will be at a disadvantage. This might be another reason to consider waiting a year to apply. As others have said most schools have rolling admissions so the deadlines don't mean that much.

Rolling admissions!

If you apply in December, you might get in if you have a 4.00 from MIT with a double major in Physics and Aerospace Engineering... you'll also need a 40+ MCAT and a couple African villages under your belt.

And jesus, go read up on the OFFICIAL AMCAS website if you have questions about the process.

Haha...this is a slight exaggeration. I applied in December/January to every school, and have 3 acceptances and have withdrawn from 2 high WL positions as well. However, the general idea behind this post is correct. If you take the MCAT in Sept, you will be severely impairing your chances of acceptance at most schools. In a process this competitive, you can't afford to do this if it can be avoided at all. (I should also note that my acceptances are to what most would consider to be mid to low tier schools, although I am very happy with them.)

I did it, but I would never advise someone else to, in retrospect. Although many people apply a second time, I think this is to be avoided if at all possible. If you can't take the test before early August, then my honest advice to you, unless your a stellar applicant, (i.e., much better than myself), would be to just bite the bullet, start applying for research positions or a medical job of some sort, and take a year off. Then, have your app ready to go for June starting the next cycle.

Honestly, a year off is NOT a big deal. In fact, you may find it to be a blessing in disguise. And you can take the opportunity to greatly strengthen your app and increase your chances of getting into a great school.

I am not, by any means, saying that you can't get in with a September MCAT. Again, I did it. But, it was said by a previous poster that even some stellar applicants don't get in due to late apps. This is definitely true, and you should seriously consider this before you apply late.

dude i swear.....

1. go on the amcas website and read up on the process....
2. just because theres a deadline doesnt mean you still have a chance when you apply that late....many ppl with stellar apps who've applied in sept-oct have been rejected....so if you think ur better than them, then go right ahead and gamble.

well that was pretty unhelpful. this is a cry for help, dude!

OP: the process can be overwhelming, but you need to just take one thing at a time. here's the order in which I would recommend doing it:

1. get in touch with the pre-med advising people at your school (there are certainly some, or at least one) and ask them whether they have a "file service" -- this is how your letters of recommendation are distributed to schools. to answer your question, no, you do not need separate letters for each school as long as the letters you have meet each school's requirements (for example, many schools require at least 2 letters from SCIENCE FACULTY and one other letter and they do not budge on this) briefly look into some of the schools to which you plan to apply and see what their requirements are, but best to have at least three letters -- 2 from science faculty who have taught you and can comment on you as a student, and one from (preferably) a physician or someone else who can comment DIRECTLY ON YOUR INTEREST IN AND FITNESS FOR medicine.

moving on

2. line up your letters of recommendation. professors hate, hate HATE to be rushed to write these things. give them LOTS of lead time. it is a little late to be asking for letters, so don't be surprised if you are told "i am already writing letters for 12 other students, sorry i don't have time." but find 2 faculty who can write strong letters for you. do this soon-ish. it is really important.

3. study for the MCAT. after you have done steps 1 and 2 above, think of NOTHING but the MCAT. eat, sleep, drink MCAT. study not only the material, but the computer-based format, testing locations and procedures, everything. forget about AMCAS. you'll have plenty of time while you are sitting around waiting for your MCAT results to do your primary app.

try to take the MCAT sooner than September, like August if possible. applying this late is NOT the kiss of death, but it does put you at a disadvantage. if you are already not a strong candidate (and this is a serious suggestion), consider pushing the MCAT back even farther and applying next cycle. a year may seem like a long time now, but it will feel even longer (and more expensive) if you don't get in the first time around because you rushed your MCAT and applied late.

--------------------
AFTER THE MCAT
--------------------

4. work on your primary app. the whole thing can be done in an afternoon except for your personal statement, which will require 2-3 weeks of solid work or longer depending on how good a writer you are (and how good your editors are). show someone who you know is a great writer your personal statement, and take their feedback to heart. there's no room for pride in this game.

5. get your MCAT scores back, click submit on your primary app (include some safety schools of course), and once the secondaries start rolling in, work on them in earnest. we're talking a month or so of solid work just writing essays for those secondaries as you get them. there is a lot of overlap between secondary questions, but many schools have unique questions, too.

6. once you have all your secondaries in, relax. read the health section in the NY Times. wait to get interviews. get excited about the prospect of attending medical school. don't be a snob -- be grateful for every interview. do your research on each school at which you interview. be polite and interesting and mature and down-to-earth. you'll get in.

good luck.