I NEED HELP Please!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i2k22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE!

Well, before I unveil all my questions and concerns, in which I desperately plea for help, in medicine, I think it would be fair for me to introduce my self and where I stand. I'll try to keep it short and to the point and not go into details.

I am currently an undergraduate student at an accredited University in Ohio! I have decided to dive into the world of medicine and try to live up to my dream of becoming a physician. (Which seem light-years away)

As of legal age, I was involved with medicine in one form or another. I have worked in a hospital (Nursing Administration) for 1.5 yrs when I decided that I needed more patient care experience. As I was pulling class’s fulltime at the University, in the meantime I was being certified as an EMT. Now I work for a private ambulance Co. In addition to that, I do research at the University, trying to gain leadership experience as a VP in AMSA (American Medical Student Association), and for the past few months I have been volunteering/shadowing at the local hospital.

I am very paranoid about getting into medical school, and based on my own research this is what I tried to accumulate for a better chance to get in. Here is where the problem lies, my work ethic is very strong and I work hard (basically sacrificing everything except church, to get into med school: Social life, vacations, friends/family outings, the whole nine yards...not the problem) but I will admit I am not the Brightest lamp in town...big problem. My GPA is a little below a 3.5 but I have another 2 yrs or so to go, so maybe I can bump it up a little. Plants, animals, physics, and molecules are interesting, but when it comes to human anatomy and physiology, neurology etc. it is all eyes and ears.

There is a lot of pressure, which I am trying to manage, from family and friends. I do not come from a very educated family, parents have some education and a few relatives, everyone else, well...you know manage to survive with hard work. I have 4 other siblings and a boatload of younger relatives. My parents support me and a few relatives here and there and everyone else...well...I CANNOT FAIL or I'll be the story of that "relative that tried and failed" for the next few Generations!

I am trying to get my feet wet, and I am willing to get down and dirty...If there is anyone, med students, Doc's, advisors etc., that know where I'm coming from, please let me know of anything else that I may be missing. Or info on med schools that are not so much inclined to the MCAT or GPA as to the well roundedness of the individual. I am researching med schools in Ohio and will look for any forums on SDN for any insight on med schools out of state. If there is anything that I should watch out for, please do let me know. Many, Many questions but I will STOP and I do apologize for the lengthy Message!

MANY THANKS for your time, support, and insight. Your comments do matter and they are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you are on the right track... you are getting your clinical experience, research, community service, leadership... so basically just keep all of that up.. boost up your GPA and get good MCAT scores.. and i know it sounds impossible but try to have some fun.. and im sure you will do just fine when it comes time for applying to med schools

it sounds like you have a totally awesome background for medicine!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sound to me like you are on the right track....

Bump your grades up. Take the science classes you enjoy.

Rememember they really only require the preq. science coures for med school. The rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake. There are history and music majors with high GPA's who took the science preq's and are now in med school.

Get a good MCAT score, but don't forget to take some time for yourself. Don't stress yourself out so badly that your grades or health suffer.

Visit www.mdapplicants.com. You can find stats for your favorite med school and even see what student at your undergrad college look like.

I think you have all the makings of a fine doctor.

:thumbup:

Agape

Wow!

It seems like you have done a lot. Good for you, but what's more important is to take time for yourself and realize what you really want to accomplish in life. That's what college is for--explore--figure out what makes you happy. If medicine is what you enjoy, than that will come across in what you do and what you put the most of your energy and time into. Most people succumb to the pressures to get in and lose sight of why they want to get in the first place. And this sucks, because then you hear stories of those with high GPAs and high MCATs who don't get in anywhere . . .

Med schools are looking for a story. They want to know why you want to become a doctor, not so much as if you can be one (although this is important, I don't think it is as important as the former). If you're really interested in getting into a top tier med school, than yes, you would need to work hard to get good grades and get a high MCAT score. But that really only applies to those schools who look for scores rather than look at the person (i.e. WashU, UCSF). There are plenty of other top-tier schools out there that don't concentrate on the numbers, but rather on the person as a whole (i.e. Harvard, Hopkins, Cornell).

What I'm trying to say is that there is no sure fire plan to get into medical school. There are guidelines:
-get good grades
-do well on the MCATs
-have leadership experience
-volunteer/community service
-shadow doctors

At the end of the day, you're going to want to sell a story--the story will revolve around "why I want to be a doctor, why medicine fascinates me, why I will be a good doctor." And the best way to selll this story (i.e. sell yourself) is to do the things that you love doing. This will come across in your personal statement and in your interviews. Also, have fun, b/c you'll do well and enjoy the things you do more if you're having fun.

Because at the end of the day, a person who graduates from no-name med school will still be called a "doctor."

Hope that helps!

sunnyjohn said:
It sound to me like you are on the right track....

Bump your grades up. Take the science classes you enjoy.

Rememember they really only require the preq. science coures for med school. The rest of the stuff is just icing on the cake. There are history and music majors with high GPA's who took the science preq's and are now in med school.

Get a good MCAT score, but don't forget to take some time for yourself. Don't stress yourself out so badly that your grades or health suffer.

Visit www.mdapplicants.com. You can find stats for your favorite med school and even see what student at your undergrad college look like.

I think you have all the makings of a fine doctor.

:thumbup:

Agape