I need help PLEASE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hordel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get in to the first two schools that I interviewed at and one of the schools said that I did poor on my interview, granted this was my first every. I want advice on how to prepare because I have one more interview in December and I CAN'T screw this one up. For the other interviews I looked at the interview feedback and I reviewed the schools website for research. When answering questions I had a basic overview of what I wanted to say, but I TRIED not to make my answers canned (maybe I didn't succeed at this). In the end, I tried to be myself but apparently myself isn't good enough.

So any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it sounds like you prepared the same way I did. You may have just had a crappy interviewer... For the schools I was most stressed about, I talked to some students or faculty beforehand about the outlook of the school and then tried to show how my experiences would fit well with their outlook. Check with your undergrad school to see if they have a list of alumni at various dschools, it was a lifesaver for me.

It sounds like you are doing things correctly. I'm sorry to hear. Don't lose hope yet for those other two schools. I think maybe you need to loosen up a little and be yourself? Maybe you are trying a little too hard to be perfect that it comes out robotic? Only thing I can think of. To be honest, the two interviews I didn't prepare are the ones I got accepted to and think I will get accepted to (UoP and NYU). I went in there with the mindset to be personable and articulate and just to show them who I was on paper and I felt the most confident after those interviews. The one I really prepared last year I came out feeling horrible and I knew I bombed it and obviously didn't get in last year.

I am not saying do not prepare at all, but if you have already prepared for interviews already, just review the website and interview feedback and go over common questions in your head but don't script anything else and let it fly and show them you can be a great dentist!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all sooooo much!! You advice has not only been kind and reassuring, but also informative.

Thanks once again!

Well which school are you interviewing at? I can help you if you're interviewing at one that I interviewed at.

Well which school are you interviewing at? I can help you if you're interviewing at one that I interviewed at.

According to your predents website, you are accepted to NYU. And you said you were accepted on Dec 4th??? It does not make sense. I called NYU today to check whether I got in or not. They told me that they sent out all letter this morning so we should figure out by end of this week. How could you find out that you got in???

Last edited:
According to your predents website, you are accepted to NYU. And you said you were accepted on Dec 4th??? How could you find out that you got in???

gooooood question....

Practice your responses on a tape recorder and listen to them. It helps you clearly convey your ideas and gets everything in a nice well managed compact package. Also helps you focus your ideas instead of being scattered.

Practice your responses on a tape recorder and listen to them. It helps you clearly convey your ideas and gets everything in a nice well managed compact package. Also helps you focus your ideas instead of being scattered.

That is a great idea, thanks!!

Look at the interview tips thread by Dr. Dai Phan. It's pretty exhaustive.

For now, if you don't get in after the interview, assume that it's your fault somehow. This is not the time to get cocky and blame the interviewer. You need to get in.

Listen, this is my honest opinion. If a school flat out said that you interviewed poorly, then you did. Anyone in your life that is telling you that you are prepared is being nice and doesn't want to offend you. Find someone who inst afraid to speak their honest opinion. Find someone who will not be afraid to tell you you are stuttering, acting weird, etc.. Hold a mock interview with them and have them rip you apart. True criticism is hard to find, and that is exactly what you need right now. Best of luck.

practice with a friend/faculty who's willing to be honest with you. i personally had one of my best friends interview ask me sample questions and she even went as far as to cut me off if the answer sounded bad, etc.

I only did one interview so far, but I practiced questions (particularly the ones on the feedback part of sdn) with my dad, and my dad and I generally don't open up to each other ever, so it was good to be under that pressure situation. Maybe you can find a family member or friend to do the same.

Thanks once again to all of the advice. I will definatly be using all of this advice so thank you!!