i need help plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microbiology10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one

I'm new in SDN , so please if you don't mind i need ur help
first i have B.Sc ,but it has been while like 5 years ago , i want to take the PCAT , and i have absolutely no material or what so ever and don't know where to start to achieve good scores in PCAT , i wish i can take it this year , June or August to apply for next year , more likely August :(

but any way , what are the materials that you really recommend to use to refresh my chem. biology ,......etc .putting into consideration that i won't be able to afford getting very expensive books , and might consider borrowing books from the library :(

also , i didn't apply yet , and didn't meet the advisor yet , do you recommend any thing ,to get accepted to pharma D .

i'm so lost in here ,and i wish i can achieve my dream of attending that school
i appreciate your help guys

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

First off I think its good to talk to the advisor in your school of interest and see where you stand in terms of pre-reqs etc. Also a good idea to know the stats of the incoming class so you'll know what to expect in terms of studying etc.

I have also graduated a few years ago and am planning to give the PCAT in June. These are the books that have helped me...

For Biology- I really liked Cliffs AP Biology. It does a good job in refreshing general bio concepts and briefly touching A&P. I substituted Barrons EZ series A&P though I thought it was a little more detailed. But personally I would rather more than less!

For Chemistry- I have the Kaplan PCAT and it does a really good job of laying out all the chem concepts. I supplemented this with the Gen Chem textbooks I found in the library for any concepts I felt weren't thoroughly explained. But for the most part the Kaplan will suffice.

For Math- well I have just started the math portion so can't be much of a help there. I will use the Kaplan for sure and maybe supplement that with other books. From what I heard, its practice, practice and practice.

Look on Amazon for the books. I got all of mine there and were quite reasonable price wise.

Good Luck!

Hey,

First off I think its good to talk to the advisor in your school of interest and see where you stand in terms of pre-reqs etc. Also a good idea to know the stats of the incoming class so you'll know what to expect in terms of studying etc.

I have also graduated a few years ago and am planning to give the PCAT in June. These are the books that have helped me...

For Biology- I really liked Cliffs AP Biology. It does a good job in refreshing general bio concepts and briefly touching A&P. I substituted Barrons EZ series A&P though I thought it was a little more detailed. But personally I would rather more than less!

For Chemistry- I have the Kaplan PCAT and it does a really good job of laying out all the chem concepts. I supplemented this with the Gen Chem textbooks I found in the library for any concepts I felt weren't thoroughly explained. But for the most part the Kaplan will suffice.

For Math- well I have just started the math portion so can't be much of a help there. I will use the Kaplan for sure and maybe supplement that with other books. From what I heard, its practice, practice and practice.

Look on Amazon for the books. I got all of mine there and were quite reasonable price wise.

Good Luck!

thank you so much for your help ,and answer ,i'll search for these books god willing, but did u have problem in refreshing your undergraduate informations ,in chem,biology, ... !! i pretty much didn't open any of my books at all since i finished !! but i looked at some pcat questions samples and the stuff sounded ,familiar :)) :laugh: , i forgot alot of things in details but the concepts are still there , it has been over 8 years , so how many months do u thing it would take to study the pcat , i know it sounds like stupid questions because it is up to the persons ability , but you know just asking , cause i am pretty freaked out ,but would like to go back to school

Hi,

The hardest thing I think is just trying to maintain a schedule especially if you have been out of school for a while it does take some time to get back into the studying routine. I started studying since Feb though I cranked up the intensity now! But the good news is the material comes back to you as you study..it wont be like brand new information. I like making time tables so I know how many days I have and how much portion is left etc etc.....

work out a plan and stick to it.u should be fine.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question...how long are u supposed to study for the PCAt????
can some please help me....

Hi,

The hardest thing I think is just trying to maintain a schedule especially if you have been out of school for a while it does take some time to get back into the studying routine. I started studying since Feb though I cranked up the intensity now! But the good news is the material comes back to you as you study..it wont be like brand new information. I like making time tables so I know how many days I have and how much portion is left etc etc.....

work out a plan and stick to it.u should be fine.

Good Luck!

yeahhh , well especially if you have kids too :( , i was studying before for GRE but stopped last year my only problem is that i have no material yet and scared to fail to enter pharma D ,

quick question...how long are u supposed to study for the PCAt????
can some please help me....

well , i didn't start yet but i think it might take good 3-4 months ,if u study like 8 hours per day , i won't study that much because i have babies but , u know what i mean , if u want to start to study , we might start together like next week to motivate each other and may be if any one can be with our us it will be great , i'll have to meet pharma d advisor soon , so if my papers and courses are ok , i'll be more than happy to have studying buddies

8 hours a day for 3-4 months.. i think i should reevaluate my plans. of studying like 4 hours for a month

8 hours a day for 3-4 months.. i think i should reevaluate my plans. of studying like 4 hours for a month

well look , if u were out of school for long time ,then u need that amount ,and lucky u if u can get it ,8 hours , because time runs so fast like i wake up early and then i find that helloooooo it is 11 pm ,oh well, it is the time that ran quickly without fulfilling all what i want , cause i want like 72 hours in 24 hours ,sounds crazy ha :))

also it depends on ur memorization skills , i'm not great in that :)) , believe me , a good 1 hour of study is better than 10 , if u just can tame yourself and concentrate , but basically i think after 30 mins of study ur brain gets distracted spontaneously , so u need to stop for like 5 -10 mins , then restart :)) , any way 4 hours/month sounds like my plan too :))

You know you have to write to essays on the PCAT under time constraints, right?

i didn't buy any books yet but may be that week , but why say that ? under time constraints ?? i think any exam is always under time constraints in general , whether pcat , gre , mcat or what so ever ?

does any body know if the PCAT is online or paper based test