Plz help me improve my pcat score...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdude1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, how r u?

I took the pcat in june and received a really low score, 35 composite (YIKES!). To be honest, I really hadn't studied much b/c i was taking four summer classes. But now, I am planning on taking pcat in aug with less than 21 days to study (but no classes, yay!). From my experience in june, I think i found chemistry and math section really hard b/c without a calculator, i'm a dead man.:( I really want to do good, no GREAT on the chemistry section since pharm schools will be especially looking at those. What should i study in chemistry? Also, there was a lot of orgo stuff on june pcat too, but i have not taken orgo yet (will in fall n spring). I don't remember this, but r the formulas given? I don't think i saw any given formulas to just plug the numbers in and calculate the answer.
Here's my stats:
verberal 43
bio 66
reading 26
quantitative 24 (i totally missed the call for last five minutes and ended up missing the last ten questions or so...:(, yeah, little bit of my soul did die that day...haha)
chem 37
composite 35

Thanks in advance!
(P.S. You're welcome for making some of you guys feel better on ur pcat scores...sadly)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, how r u?

I took the pcat in june and received a really low score, 35 composite (YIKES!). To be honest, I really hadn't studied much b/c i was taking four summer classes. But now, I am planning on taking pcat in aug with less than 21 days to study (but no classes, yay!). From my experience in june, I think i found chemistry and math section really hard b/c without a calculator, i'm a dead man.:( I really want to do good, no GREAT on the chemistry section since pharm schools will be especially looking at those. What should i study in chemistry? Also, there was a lot of orgo stuff on june pcat too, but i have not taken orgo yet (will in fall n spring). I don't remember this, but r the formulas given? I don't think i saw any given formulas to just plug the numbers in and calculate the answer.
Here's my stats:
verberal 43
bio 66
reading 26
quantitative 24 (i totally missed the call for last five minutes and ended up missing the last ten questions or so...:(, yeah, little bit of my soul did die that day...haha)
chem 37
composite 35

Thanks in advance!
(P.S. You're welcome for making some of you guys feel better on ur pcat scores...sadly)

i would recommend doing chemistry problems without a calculator and learn shortcuts. if they don't let you use a calculator, it's because the calculations are simple enough to be done without a calculator. it just takes practice.

and on questions you've never seen before, skip them first and then go back to them later. if you really have no idea take a guess, but if you can look at it and try to use your reasoning with all the gen chem concepts you've learned, you can guess at the correct answer.

keep taking the pcat until you're satisfied with your score or until time runs out and you have to apply. you usually need at least 75% composite to be competitive and to have a good chance of getting accepted (at most schools). and it's possible, so don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
there really isn't a limitation to how many times you can take the PCAT. just don't sign up for every single test date if you don't think you'll improve much every time you take it.

there really isn't a limitation to how many times you can take the PCAT. just don't sign up for every single test date if you don't think you'll improve much every time you take it.

The limit is FIVE.

The limit is FIVE.

where did you find that information? i have never heard of that.

every pharmacy school website i have found online says that there is NO LIMIT to how many times you can take the PCAT. why did you think the limit was FIVE?

edit: apparently schools don't care, but pearson does. and it says you can't sit for the test more than five times. but if you need to take the pcat more than five times, then maybe pharmacy isn't for you.

it would help to say "the pearson website says the limit is five, since they let you sit for the test only five times" rather than just saying "the limit is five."

Last edited:
"A candidate may sit for the PCAT examination no more than five times. After the fifth examination, a candidate may be required to submit a written request for an additional testing session. The request should be accompanied with evidence to support an additional exam."

source: PCAT Candidate Information Booklet 2009-2010
http://pearsonassess.com/hai/Images/dotCom/pcatweb.info/PCAT_CIB.pdf

yeah yeah, i saw that. and after that, i did the "edit:" part

why do people never talk about the limitation for sitting for the pcat only five times? my guess is that people never consider taking it more than four times. so they don't run into any problems...