I need help!! post-bacc or grad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm 24 pre-med student and clinical technician who recently turned my life around and decided to become adoctor. I graduated last year with BS in Nutrition and Exercise degree with only overall 2.8GPA
frown.gif
(too much sociable)So I'm taking second chance.

Starting this fall, I'll be retaking some of science classes at a state Univ and planning to enter graduate school either in MPH program or Biomedical Science program next year.
However, I've been hesitating whether I should go for master program to boost my GPA or get a good pre-med post-bacc program to improve my GPA. What shall I do?
The pre-med post-bacc program at a private university near my house seems well organized and has many relevant courses (high-level undergraduate biomedical courses) to prepare for medical school. The curriculum for MPH program at any univeristy doesn't seem to have many biomedical courses which is
excellent course preparation for pre-med students.
Biomedical graduate program is great but I feel like I'm jumping to the super high level biomedical courses because I have not yet taken enough high-level science courses.

By the way I'm preparing for GRE and recently I looked into myself noticing that I don't have much motivation to study math or analytical part other than verbal part. I feel like I'm wasting time studying GRE math and analytical part after knowing that I can go for post-bacc program and still can take many more high-level science courses.

I would really appreciate any of your sincere advise. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably end up going the post-bacc route, as my GPA isn't the greatest (late learning disability diagnosis). Post-bacc just seems more sensible for getting prepared for med school.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind as to what you want to do... but think carefully about it. It's a year out of your life, and if you still don't get into med school, then what are you going to do?

Nanon

I'll keep applying until I get in but I won't let that happen.
The worst thing to happen in my career would be getting master and live with it for the rest of my life.
The problem is even if I go into graduate school, I will regret about not going to post-bacc/pre-med program because I am interested in taking those high-level science classes in the program. It's not about going to graduate school for back-up plan although it might seem gambling to me. If I go to post-bacc program, I will regret only because I didn't get into medical school but the chances of not getting accepted are either way. What would you do??
Should I consider for back-up plan although I have a very strong desire to achieve my ultimate goal to become a doctor and being consistent about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, an MPH is very prestigious on its own, so if you go that route, it is a very good idea, even if you end up not making it to an MD school.

However, have you thought of the DO route ? Capable full-practicing physicians, and they don't put a cut-throat emphasis on your GPA (from what I hear). If you really want to be a doc, I'd suggest applying to a DO school.

Don't apply to a DO program with a 2.8 GPA. You will be wasting your time, your money and setting yourself up for a big disappointment.

Personally, I would go for a post-bac program at a school that has a track of accepting the top students in the program into their med school.

I'm going for a post-bacc program.
I don't think I would ever want to apply for DO school because it is easier to get in.

I'd rather work harder, postpone my application to stregthen my stats and apply for MD school. I'm also considering to take graduate courses after taking most of high-level science courses.

Not even graduate school with my undergrad GPA !!
No way... !!!

Thanks for your advise!
smile.gif

To comment on what you said about not graduating yet with such a low GPA...
I thought you got a bachelor's degree already in nutrition, no ?
If not, if you have 120 undergrad credits already, for example, with a 2.8 gpa, you'd need 8 As to turn it into a 3.0. And that could be risky.

If I were you, I would look at a few things. 1) your science gpa; 2) your extra's ... a clinical technician should have a lot of experience under one's belt 3) MCAT.

There's been a big thing about MD vs DO, but the only people who didn't take part in it are MD's and DO's !! Both recognize each other with respect. And if you get a decent MCAT score (mid to upper 30s) you should be able to make it to a DO school (or at least get interviews and sell yourself there)

If you really want that MD, I think a post-bac route would be your best option. A masters program won't make up for a poor undergrad GPA. I still think a 2.8 or 2.9 with a decent MCAT would get you a DO spot for sure.

I'm going for both!
smile.gif

Starting this fall, I'll be both part-time student(extended studies) and full-time clin tech for one year.

The next year, I'll be on a good post-bacc /pre-med program, full-time student and part-time clin tech for another year.

Then I'm gonna go to graduate school for one-year biomedical science master program and apply for medical school !!
How is that sound?
I'll be 28 old when matriculated. hmm..
But I think I deserved all these hard works I have to face in the future because what I've done in college besides my English is second language.
By the way,
Thanks for all your help!!

Challenge:

This all depends on whether you think about taking MCATs. If you are you should do posbac
program to not only boost your GPA but also get prep for MCATs. If you are not taking MCATs you should maybe consider MPHsince it will help to set you apart from other students and give you advantage in the application process, in addition to giving you another way to look and health in this country (good preparation for medical school)
Taking a biomedical Science program will do essentially the same thing as MPH but if are interested in going to medical school it will be a waste of time spending two years learning the same material you will have to do in medical school
Arti
Arti

Let's be realistic: Your undergrad grades are not very competitive, you're major isn't very competitive either.
You can get into a US MD school but it will take tooo much time, an MPH, and high MCAT's..If you really want to be a physician go to the Caribbean: Ross is a great school!

Challenge, I have to disagree with MudPhud on this one. If you want it bad enough, you'll be able to do it and of course the time factor won't matter if you are achieving your goals. In fact, although I got a masters before I did my post-bacc, I don't think it is necessary. It is the post-bacc grades that really improved my application. Just make sure that you are ready and committed to do exceedingly well in your post-bacc work. I wouldn't recommend doing the masters unless it is something that you feel will contribute to your career in some meaningful way.

If you don't feel like you are confident that you can do well in post-bacc right now, take some time off from school. I took four years off before getting my MPH and gained some satisfying life experiences. I came back to school excited and ready to kick butt. So, I'll be starting medical school this fall at the ripe old age of 29. I don't regret the time it took, and I am so glad to be starting medical school at this time in my life.
Work hard, it can be done.

Originally posted by Challenge:
Hi I'm 24 pre-med student and clinical technician who recently turned my life around and decided to become adoctor.

Here's a question.... what made you decide to become a physician? what was your original intention before you made this recent decision?

-raindodger