I need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Health&Care Mall

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on memorizing drugs and their actions on receptors?
I am making my own notes and tried everything, but still, I am having difficulty memorizing names :dead:

Members don't see this ad.

If you notice, a lot of the ending suffixes for numerous drugs are the same and even in the same drug class (I.e beta blockers: esmolol, nebivolol, atenolol, but not stanozolol...trivia point). If you have a good background in chemistry, structure activity relationship (SAR) is a good way to remeber things if you are a real visual chemistry nerd.

I would suggest looking at Clinical pharmacology database...they have a drug class overview for numerous drug classes. Examine a few; you'll get a better understanding of how to compare and contrast drugs that are in the same class (what's worth noting/remembering...I.e. Long half life for fluoxetine, why washout is considered 5 weeks rather than 2...is this an advantage, disadvantage, or both vs. other SSRIs?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest spending a bit of time each day reviewing previous material and a bit of time going over new/active/difficult material. Hard to say how much based on where you stand, but throughout pharmacy school, you want to actively review/master material you've gone over already to tie into new material; it will all go/come together eventually. Cramming short term will do you no good; prepare well in advance for boards

Yeah. You need to learn...

#1 drug class generalities
#2 which class each drug belongs to
#3 anything that makes a particular drug unique

...in that order.

(I.e beta blockers: esmolol, nebivolol, atenolol, but not stanazolol...trivia point).

See, I am always learning something new from SDN. I had never heard of stanazolol so I had to go look it up.

See, I am always learning something new from SDN. I had never heard of stanazolol so I had to go look it up.
Wait til you hear about Nystatin!

Reactions: 2 users