I need HELP!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teething Beauty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am asking a huge favor form all of you. I have a presentation in three weeks and my topic is "The biomolecular revolution". I have to present for an hour so I must give a pretty lengthy presentation . I would greatly appreciate if you guys could post any suggestions that you might have regarding this subject. I need all the help I can get:) ! Thanks a bunch guys!!!
Teething Beauty :D

Members don't see this ad.

What do you have so far for your presentation? Why don't you go to Pubmed and type in your topic. They'll give you quite a few journal articles that may be of help. I might be able to get you the articles if you want..
There is also a journal called "Biomolecular Engineering"

I work in a human physiology, connective tissue lab, and the craze in my lab is QPCR or Quantitative Polymerase chain reaction. If you are familuar with regualar PCR this is one step beyond PCR. what happens is that you isolate RNA from any specimen. I am isolating RNA from Mice femurs for example. THen you run a Reverse Transcriptase reaction using a thermocycler and you then turn RNA into CDNA. USING the CDNA you run QPCR and you are able to quantify your results. To see if for example it has a certain gene marker. It will show you whether its there or not there.

I hope this make sense

later hockeydentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about the Human Genome Project, published by Nature Volume 409. The whole issue was dedicated to this project and there were many article to choose from. I think that will cover the topic "revolution...."
Best of luck
T

Thanks guys for replying!!!

Beagle...I wanted to make my presentation on some topic related to dentistry, but I am having a hard time finding some current findings on the cutting edge. Since this is for an honors course, there is a variety of majors in my class, so I was thinking of perhaps presenting some quick facts about the science behind the revolution. I was contemplating the idea of forensic science, but I am still developing my ideas.

Thanks Tinker Bell...I had not even thought of this! :clap:

Hockeydentist...I had actually thout about PCR related topics, but I figured it would be a difficult idea to grasp for the nonscience major students in my class. Yet, I am still debating the idea

Once again, thanks a bunch for all your help. I am very greatful for all your suggestions!!! :D

Cutting edge stuff in dentistry that involves molecular biology...

I know there is work going on at the University of Texas Dental School at San Antonio which involves the regeneration of human teeth.. They've succeeded in growing teeth in petri dishes so far. The team is led by Dr. Mary Macdougall, and you can search by author on MedLine for any of the papers her team has published on the subject.

Good luck!

Pick up a copy of the Journal of Dental Research at your university library and it is full of biomolecular research in dentistry. Every month they feature a few articles on "biomaterials and bioengineering."

There is lots of research on dentin bonding agents going on - that could probably be presented at a biomolecular level and you could present the basic stuff about the layers of a tooth, how decay begins, silver vs white colored fillings (amalgams vs resins) and lead into dentin bonding properties of resins and the research out there. I think that would keep them more awake and interested than new technologies in PCR. Sealant bonding and application could possibly fall into this category as well. Dentin bonding is pretty cutting edge since it actually blocks the dentinal tubules in a filling thus preventing bacteria from leaking in where as amalgam just kinda sits there and has lots of potential for bacterial leakage. There are also lots of cool SEM pictures on this topic too.