I need more info on Kaplan's financial aid (grant, scholarship, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourstar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the employees of Kaplan told us about financial aid where if you get pell grant and/or turner's grant, you can get 20-50% off the Kaplan's price.

I didn't get a chance to ask him more about it, but today, i stopped by the Kaplan center and i feel like the lady behind the desk didnt not know what she was talking about.

Anybody have a definite answer as to what steps I need to receive this financial aid? Any more info?

Someone on this forum posted in a thread about his girlfriend getting 50% off the Kaplan's price, i can't find the thread. I'm pretty sure it's the same financial aid that the employee was talking about couple weeks ago

Members don't see this ad.

i highly doubt it. At my center, we had a guy come in and ask about financial assistance and the center manager told him that there is non. It's basically a service that is privately ran and is out to make money. Since it's not needed, it's not affiliated with the goverment.

Scott

fourstar said:
One of the employees of Kaplan told us about financial aid where if you get pell grant and/or turner's grant, you can get 20-50% off the Kaplan's price.

I didn't get a chance to ask him more about it, but today, i stopped by the Kaplan center and i feel like the lady behind the desk didnt not know what she was talking about.

Anybody have a definite answer as to what steps I need to receive this financial aid? Any more info?

Someone on this forum posted in a thread about his girlfriend getting 50% off the Kaplan's price, i can't find the thread. I'm pretty sure it's the same financial aid that the employee was talking about couple weeks ago

Kaplan DOES have a financial assistance program to help people who would otherwise not be able to afford to take the course. That being said, you have to be in pretty serious financial straits to qualify to get your course tuition waived. If you think that you'd qualify, go back to the center, and ask to speak to the manager or assistant manager of the center. The people at the desk are just there to answer the phones and help students use the center library; they don't counsel students about financial aid. Even if you're not able to qualify for a tuition waiver, it still might be worth your while to talk to the Center Manager to see if they could work out a deal with you in terms of a discount or a payment plan.

I qualified for Kaplan's financial aid. I'm poor, but I didn't qualify for financial assistance from AMCAS so apparently I'm not too poor. :rolleyes: I got 30% off the course tuition, just had to fill out an application, write a brief essay, and submit some documentation of my financial status. It didn't take long to get approval either, maybe a week. They don't really publicize the funding so you have to ask, and not all the staff seems to know about it so if the first person you talk to doesn't know or says there isn't any, call around or ask to speak with the center manager. PR has a similar program as well. It's still an a**load of money to pay, but better than the full cost.

I also got financial assistance. Kaplan goes off of what your school gives you. I had to submit a financial aid award letter from my school, a personal essay, a very short application, and a letter from my advisor. I got the maximum amount of financial aid, which is 50% off. So my class will be about $750 which is great compared to the total amount.