I need Pharmacists!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Its Z

Retired
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not creating new positions. just backfilling vacancies. Yeah...got like 30 resumes in days. But all I see are retail pharmacists wanting to get out....pharmd candidates not licensed yet and foreign grads with no license and 2011 grads who's not working.

WTH.

OK...its march and I can't wait til July when the residents spill out.

I guess timing is everything and my timing sucks right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Im not creating new positions. just backfilling vacancies. Yeah...got like 30 resumes in days. But all I see are retail pharmacists wanting to get out....pharmd candidates not licensed yet and foreign grads with no license and 2011 grads who's not working.

WTH.

Show some love to one or two of the retail pharmacists. The best kind of employee is one who has suffered and knows how bad things can be. You will get some one who will be enternally greatful and who will appreciates thier job and the opportunity.

Better than some I am Gods gift to pharmacy two year resident who hasn't suffered yet.

WTH.

How're your heme/onc services?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats wrong with the 2011 grads who is not working? Why not hire them?

Show some love to one or two of the retail pharmacists. The best kind of employee is one who has suffered and knows how bad things can be. You will get some one who will be enternally greatful and who will appreciates thier job and the opportunity.

Better than some I am Gods gift to pharmacy two year resident who hasn't suffered yet.

Shut up! I just saved one from retail!

Whats wrong with the 2011 grads who is not working? Why not hire them?

There's a lot wrong with it. If you've been out of school.for 10 months and you ain't busting your ass doing something...even floating or prn on weekends while most of your classmates are either in residency or working somewhere there's something wrong with you.

WTH.

Hi Z,

I'm just a P1 so forgive my ignorance, but I've always heard that you can more easily go from hospital to retail than from retail to hospital. Why is this? Is it just because the skill set required for hospital is so much more specialized? Also, why would you rather have a new graduate or resident than somebody who has worked in retail for a few years already?

I just want to get some idea of what is necessary to get a hospital job in the future as I don't yet have any experience in this area (but I'm definitely interested!).

Thanks!

Can someone answer that for me?

You're hiring residency trained pharmacists for staffing? Overkill perhaps? And what's wrong with 2012 PharmD candidates? By the time all the paperwork, background checks, drug testing, ID cards, training is complete, it'll be August/September and they'd have their licenses.

You're hiring residency trained pharmacists for staffing? Overkill perhaps? And what's wrong with 2012 PharmD candidates? By the time all the paperwork, background checks, drug testing, ID cards, training is complete, it'll be August/September and they'd have their licenses.

Overkill my ass. Half of my staff are residency trained and everyone is hybrid clinical staff. hiring process takes 2 weeks not 5 months.

What's wrong with a pharmd candidate?

You can't legally work as a pharmacist. That's what's wrong. WTF am I going to do....make an intern work as a pharmacist?

And yet limited clinical experience. I am guessing he is looking for at least PGY2 resident or someone with at PGY1 (clinical) with at least 2 yr community experience.

While just a lowly P1, I am working to get my foot in the door to get some clinical experience. I at least will not have to get untrained :laugh:.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Im not looking for pgy1 or 2. Im looking for the right pharmacist. Like I said before 1 position just got filled with a retail pharmacist with 3 years experience. Im not looking for degrees or certificates. Im looking for the one with the right attitude.

Im not looking for pgy1 or 2. Im looking for the right pharmacist. Like I said before 1 position just got filled with a retail pharmacist with 3 years experience. Im not looking for degrees or certificates. Im looking for the one with the right attitude.

I can't believe with your location you didn't get swamped in somewhat quality resumes?? You pay really well too right and are offering FT?

I can't believe with your location you didn't get swamped in somewhat quality resumes?? You pay really well too right and are offering FT?

I have 1FT position and 2 PRN open right now. But remember.....march April is a goofy time. Residents are still ways off... and people are hunkered down right now......

Why hire someone with no experience in the practice setting when there more qualified candidates?

Why hire someone with no experience in the practice setting when there more qualified candidates?

Because we owe it to new grads from mill pharm.d programs to reserve a spot for them and cater to their needs. Who cares about my patients and the community I serve.

Tempting, but I don't want to ditch my current employer.

Hi Z,

I'm just a P1 so forgive my ignorance, but I've always heard that you can more easily go from hospital to retail than from retail to hospital. Why is this? Is it just because the skill set required for hospital is so much more specialized? Also, why would you rather have a new graduate or resident than somebody who has worked in retail for a few years already?

I just want to get some idea of what is necessary to get a hospital job in the future as I don't yet have any experience in this area (but I'm definitely interested!).

Thanks!

One reason is because when you go from retail to hospital, you're likely going to take a paycut. You also lose out on 401k matching, accrued vacation, etc. They call it the golden handcuffs.

Another reason is because there is so much to learn in hospital compared to retail. Hospital you have to learn how to screen charts, make IV's, answer drug questions, and understand the general hospital drug distribution process. There are also a ton of protocols and procedures in the hospital you have to follow. In general, it takes more of an investment to train a hospital pharmacist.

One reason is because when you go from retail to hospital, you're likely going to take a paycut. You also lose out on 401k matching, accrued vacation, etc. They call it the golden handcuffs.

Slow down... We pay much more than retail. Our 401K is just as good and provide many more vacation days. How's 4 weeks PTO to start? And free health coverage.

Slow down... We pay much more than retail. Our 401K is just as good and provide many more vacation days. How's 4 weeks PTO to start? And free health coverage.

I mean usually, not always. I'm sure your hospital reimburses its pharmacists well, but the majority of hospitals pay less than a retail setting in the same location (I'm ignoring differentials btw).

WTH.

Give me a year and some change, then hire me.

I am glad that you said that.

I have a chip on my shoulder for not having done a residency...but then again, I went from PharmD grad straight to the position of an Informatics Pharmacist. It really is all in the right attitude, as it disgusts me some of the former residents I have worked with.

filipelli, did you have any prior experience working in IT or did you have an undergrad IT degree? i'm very interested in this area of pharmacy. i'm good with computers but no degrees/certificates. i've been considering getting some IT certifications. do you think it would be worth it? i've researched what it takes to be an informatics pharmacist but there isn't much info out there except employers look for people who have worked with epic software or databases. just curious, sorry for being nosy.

You're hiring residency trained pharmacists for staffing? Overkill perhaps?

I think this is in California, residency for staffing is par for the course going forward (unless you have the requisite experience)

cycloketocaine said:
Give me a year and some change, then hire me.

Ditto, you won't even need to wait for me to relocate! :smuggrin:

Would you hire RPh and PhD Pharmacology from East Coast?

The 2011 grad isn't necessarily a bad hire.

Sometimes circumstance gets in the way. My wife moved with me to philly fresh after graduation. Because she has no connections or experience, people just trash her resume when they get it. Mostly because ******s like Z think they have them all figured out from the get go. They think an art is a science. She is actually brighter and a harder worker than me. Graduated with honors and all that good crap. Nobody will hire her, residencies look at that year off and don't even invite for an interview...instead they go with some dip**** from usp or jefferson. Talk about depressing. I honestly don't measure up to her intellectually, but due to circumstances, I'm the breadwinner. And a kid that got a full ride to princeton...made it to the nationals in academic triathlon in high school...she can't even get a call back...

...effin sucks.

The 2011 grad isn't necessarily a bad hire.

Sometimes circumstance gets in the way. My wife moved with me to philly fresh after graduation. Because she has no connections or experience, people just trash her resume when they get it. Mostly because ******s like Z think they have them all figured out from the get go. They think an art is a science. She is actually brighter and a harder worker than me. Graduated with honors and all that good crap. Nobody will hire her, residencies look at that year off and don't even invite for an interview...instead they go with some dip**** from usp or jefferson. Talk about depressing. I honestly don't measure up to her intellectually, but due to circumstances, I'm the breadwinner. And a kid that got a full ride to princeton...made it to the nationals in academic triathlon in high school...she can't even get a call back...

...effin sucks.

You don't have room to be calling anyone a ******.

Would you hire RPh and PhD Pharmacology from East Coast?

I don't care about your degrees. If you have hospital experience and willing to work hard I will look at anyone.

Lmao...now I know how to get under his skin.

What you should do is have a creative hiring process. Test them...intellectually...and not with stupid interview questions...actually test them. Short form iq test...clinical problem solving...all timed...see how they do under pressure...

I'd love to see someone actually try a performance, evidence based hiring process in the private sector rather (or along with) credential based hiring. Its what the military does...seems to work for them. Seal training sure got the right team together to take out bin laden...

You'd probably wind up having a one time foreign grad from Cal Northstate in 2009 win out.

Nah.....I will just use my process and intuition. Its worked well for over a decade. If being bright is what matters then I should be only looking at rho chis.

I'm willing to work hard; but No Hospital experience, I got licensed two weeks ago :)

I find it is one thing to say you work hard, and a completely different thing to actually do it and keep doing it. Especially as a new grad, you are trying to prove yourself at the get go.

It's not easy to hire new employees I am sure for that reason. You get fooled. I know if I were in the same boat, I would look at people who had experience and are well balanced. Working during pharmacy school tells me that the potential hire is motivated to learn and gather experience, knows what hospital pharmacy is all about and still wants to pursue it. Balance would be important too.. sure you can hire rho chis, but if they do not know how to talk to Docs and nurses, or if they cannot understand pharmacy operations, I would say they are not as useful as they could be.

...and in saying that - sometimes life just gets in the way, and a year off is necessary. You'd be missing out on quality candidates if you work off your initial impressions/judgements regarding people still looking for jobs 1 year out of school.

Last edited:
I find it is one thing to say you work hard, and a completely different thing to actually do it and keep doing it. Especially as a new grad, you are trying to prove yourself at the get go, so every new grad will start out the gates raring to go.

It's not easy to hire new employees I am sure for that reason. You get fooled.

Hiring is easier than firing

Working during pharmacy school tells me that the potential hire is motivated to learn and gather experience, knows what hospital pharmacy is all about and still wants to pursue it. Balance would be important too..

I don't have hospital experience, and to get that I'd work for free for couple of months. All my hours as intern were in retail.

Everyone wants a chance. But you also have to be a competitive candidate
You're competing against applicants with more experience and knowledge.

Can't get experience if nobody gives you a chance.

Can't get experience if nobody gives you a chance.

Long ago I recommended on here if anyone wants inpatient experience, the best way is to volunteer at a hospital and constantly show up in front of a DOP and eventually get hired as a tech or an intern at a hospital. I was ridiculed. They said...hell no...why work for free when they can get paid good money doing retail...and/or sign on bonus was plentiful with ever expanding retail pharmacy practice.

Well... not sure why anyone deserves a chance when there are students out there going out of their way to to get that chance working inpatient.

No one is going to give it to you. I certainly am not giving out chances to just anyone...especially when there are better candidates. Come July...there will be a load of residents available. Can you compete with them? If not.... I can't help you.

When you're the boss, everything you say must be right.

Long ago I recommended on here if anyone wants inpatient experience, the best way is to volunteer at a hospital and constantly show up in front of a DOP and eventually get hired as a tech or an intern at a hospital. I was ridiculed. They said...hell no...why work for free when they can get paid good money doing retail...and/or sign on bonus was plentiful with ever expanding retail pharmacy practice.

Well... not sure why anyone deserves a chance when there are students out there going out of their way to to get that chance working inpatient.

No one is going to give it to you. I certainly am not giving out chances to just anyone...especially when there are better candidates. Come July...there will be a load of residents available. Can you compete with them? If not.... I can't help you.

I tried to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy and to get my intern hours 2 years ago but they refused to take me because of potential legal issues...They do not want volunteers in the pharmacy...and it's hard to find a hospital pharmacy intern job in the area....so How would you get your experience and your chance? connections? (that how many hospital pharmacy interns got their job)...but someone has to first give you a chance..

I tried to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy and to get my intern hours 2 years ago but they refused to take me because of potential legal issues...They do not want volunteers in the pharmacy...and it's hard to find a hospital pharmacy intern job in the area....so How would you get your experience and your chance? connections? (that how many hospital pharmacy interns got their job)...but someone has to first give you a chance..

Then go find a hospital that'll allow volunteers in the pharmacy. I've always had volunteers.

Good Lord... it's now my fault that students can't get hospital experience.

Then go find a hospital that'll allow volunteers in the pharmacy. I've always had volunteers.

Good Lord... it's now my fault that students can't get hospital experience.

Hahaha it is not your fault...And I tried that option and had the same problem...I don't live in a big city so there are not many hospitals in the area...

too bad I'm in a contract. CA license and all.

When you're the boss, everything you say must be right.

I don't have to be right.

But I do make the final decision on hiring today. For the past 5 years, I made recommendations to DOPs. But they had the final say so and I didn't micromanage them.

Today I'm responsible for the hires I make. I'm going to make the best hire I can.

Hey...I wanted to do retail but no one gave me a chance. I'm not bitter about it at all since I never did retail and didn't deserve a job anyways. I'm certainly not going to cry foul.

It's not my fault no one gives anyone a chance.

Page Juan!