I need some advice... MCAT w/ no physics??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i.<3.pharmacy

Dumb like a Moose.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This fall I will be starting out my senior year. I will be getting my BS in Biology with a chemistry minor. I had originally set out to go to pharmacy school, but after volunteering I'm not sure that is something I want to do for the rest of my life. I have shadowed a few podiatrists at the hospital I volunteer and work at and it seems much more fitting for me.

My problem is, I haven't taken physics yet because it wasn't required by Pharm schools or the PCAT. I have decided to apply to pod school and I will be taking the physics sequence my senior year... BUT I still need to take the MCAT.

So my question is, should I take the MCAT this August without any physics background so I can apply early or should I wait until April to take the MCAT after having exposure to physics and more time to study for the exam??

There are pros and cons to each of these... but I would like to know what you guys think. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind my suggestion would be to take Physics first. There are two advantages to this...one is that you could get the Physics pre-requisite completed and the other is that you would have all the necessary Physics preparation for the MCAT down pat. I took Physics before the MCAT and found it to be very helpful for the exam...it actually ended up being my strongest section. It could be difficult to do well on the Physics portion unless you can really spend the time targeting that area so it wont be your weakness.
Also if you are set on podiatric medicine, you could call up the admissions office of schools individually and ask them for advice and if they can still consider you as an applicant even though you have not taken Physics. That's probably a good place to start.

i.<3.pharmacy said:
This fall I will be starting out my senior year. I will be getting my BS in Biology with a chemistry minor. I had originally set out to go to pharmacy school, but after volunteering I'm not sure that is something I want to do for the rest of my life. I have shadowed a few podiatrists at the hospital I volunteer and work at and it seems much more fitting for me.

My problem is, I haven't taken physics yet because it wasn't required by Pharm schools or the PCAT. I have decided to apply to pod school and I will be taking the physics sequence my senior year... BUT I still need to take the MCAT.

So my question is, should I take the MCAT this August without any physics background so I can apply early or should I wait until April to take the MCAT after having exposure to physics and more time to study for the exam??

There are pros and cons to each of these... but I would like to know what you guys think. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would have to agree. The Physical Sciences section of the MCAT is perhaps one of the most difficult. Not having had a physics background would hurt you if you took the test in August.

However, I would like to offer an alternative plan. Take the DAT (Dental Admissions Test) in the fall instead. The DAT has no physical sciences section and most of the podiatry schools accept the DAT (Ohio being the exception). I know several students who got into good podiatry schools having only taken the DAT. Podiatry schools are very willing to make exceptions in accepting alternative tests, especially in situations like yours where you would be at a disadvantage to take the MCAT with no physics.

Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
However, I would like to offer an alternative plan. Take the DAT (Dental Admissions Test) in the fall instead. The DAT has no physical sciences section and most of the podiatry schools accept the DAT (Ohio being the exception).

....The Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine accepts the DAT. I think Scholl in Chicago doesn't accept the DAT.

--Bill

mrfeet said:
I would have to agree. The Physical Sciences section of the MCAT is perhaps one of the most difficult. Not having had a physics background would hurt you if you took the test in August.

However, I would like to offer an alternative plan. Take the DAT (Dental Admissions Test) in the fall instead. The DAT has no physical sciences section and most of the podiatry schools accept the DAT (Ohio being the exception). I know several students who got into good podiatry schools having only taken the DAT. Podiatry schools are very willing to make exceptions in accepting alternative tests, especially in situations like yours where you would be at a disadvantage to take the MCAT with no physics.

Good luck!!!
to the OP

Please do not take the DAT. you will always wonder how you would have done on the MCAT. and how can we tell this OPer to take the DAT when most of us think the pod schools should not even accept the DAT?

krabmas said:
to the OP

Please do not take the DAT. you will always wonder how you would have done on the MCAT. and how can we tell this OPer to take the DAT when most of us think the pod schools should not even accept the DAT?
Right On, Krab! Mcat or NO deal, tell him! :laugh: OMG the advice here is absolutely hysterical. :laugh: :thumbup:

I'm hoping that the schools stick w/ their guns and only take the MCAT after the tests is offered on a more regular basis. There are no longer excuses why an applicant could not take the test.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I'm hoping that the schools stick w/ their guns and only take the MCAT after the tests is offered on a more regular basis. There are no longer excuses why an applicant could not take the test.
Oh don't worry some school will still let SAT's or something slide, as 'test of record' just to get their $. :laugh:

Yes, I know I've added nothing of value so far to this thread. But I DO think that the Mcat should be the only test used, to at least create some equality amongst admissions standards.

Admission standards will not increase until schools limit there size to about 60. That would mean about 50 to 55 matriculate, and we graduate less than 450 pods a year. If the application numbers stay the same that means we accept 1/2 of the applicants.

These things won't change until students demand them to change.

I agree with many of you. The MCAT should be the uniform standard for all 8 podiatry schools. However, in the meantime, this person might as well take advantage of the situation.

I recently spoke with an older doctor who was admitted to medical school the year before the MCAT was implemented. He never had to take the MCAT to go to med school. What should he have done? Should he have said, "Oh gee, I don't deserve to be a doctor because I didn't take the MCAT." No, he went about things in the way in which they were done. If you get into pod school by taking the DAT, so what? You still got in!

Remember the ancient Chinese proverb:

"HE WHO GRADUATETH FROM MED SCHOOL LAST, STILL CALLETH HIMSELF
'DOCTOR'!"

mrfeet said:
I agree with many of you. The MCAT should be the uniform standard for all 8 podiatry schools. However, in the meantime, this person might as well take advantage of the situation.

I recently spoke with an older doctor who was admitted to medical school the year before the MCAT was implemented. He never had to take the MCAT to go to med school. What should he have done? Should he have said, "Oh gee, I don't deserve to be a doctor because I didn't take the MCAT." No, he went about things in the way in which they were done. If you get into pod school by taking the DAT, so what? You still got in!

Remember the ancient Chinese proverb:

"HE WHO GRADUATETH FROM MED SCHOOL LAST, STILL CALLETH HIMSELF
'DOCTOR'!"
The proverb applies UNLESS you're the infamous "whiskers"around here. :laugh:

I appreciate everybody's input. Thanks!

Now there is another variable to my dilemma... DAT vs MCAT!

Would an applicant with good scores on the DAT be as competitive as an applicant with a good MCAT score? I'm not really sure how they would compare applicants with different background like that.

For example, let's say two applicants have identical stats [GPA, extracurrics, etc] but one took the MCAT and the other took the DAT, both scoring well. Who would be the more competitive applicant?

My gut instinct would be the person who took the MCAT... any thoughts?

i.<3.pharmacy said:

Would an applicant with good scores on the DAT be as competitive as an applicant with a good MCAT score? I'm not really sure how they would compare applicants with different background like that.

For example, let's say two applicants have identical stats [GPA, extracurrics, etc] but one took the MCAT and the other took the DAT, both scoring well. Who would be the more competitive applicant?

this is just my 2 cents and I may be wrong but I do not think that any of the schools that take both the DAT and the MCAT are that competitive yet.

and if you apply early enough it should not be a problem as long as you do well.

if you are that concerned then I would just take the MCAT.

i.<3.pharmacy said:

Given your scenario, there is no question that the MCAT would rank higher than the DAT on the pointing scale.

I have four friends in Pharmacy and they all had to take Physics. I know all the Pharmacy schools have different requirements though. You would be best off take the extra time and going through the Physics courses. I don't blame you for your switch though, one of my friends is half way through Pharmacy school and hates it.