Can someone please give me feedback on my personal statement? (Also some other questions I have)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinemoo

Reaction score
I would really appreciate if someone could take a look at my personal statement and offer me any advice. I can message it to you! I could really use some guidance regarding what I should remove, add, or focus more on.

On the application portal it tells us that only 4,500 characters are allowed for the personal statement. That's around 686 words. Was it always this much or was this a recent change? How do you guys recommend fitting everything I want to talk about in 600ish words (what should I focus on more?).

Also, do you think I could talk more about my experiences in that section and leave them out of my personal statement? Would that be a good idea or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They likely didn't even read my personal statement because I was offered an interview within an hour of sending my application.

My theory is that they probably super skim through that personal statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They likely didn't even read my personal statement because I was offered an interview within an hour of sending my application.

My theory is that they probably super skim through that personal statement.
That's amazing - congratulations!! I'm just really worried because of my stats (low mcat, high gpa) - so I'm trying to make sure my personal statement is going in the right direction. Do you mind sharing your stats and what school had offered you an interview? Also, did you apply in the beginning of the cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
That's amazing - congratulations!! I'm just really worried because of my stats (low mcat, high gpa) - so I'm trying to make sure my personal statement is going in the right direction. Do you mind sharing your stats and what school had offered you an interview? Also, did you apply in the beginning of the cycle?
Thanks!

I also don't think they care about MCAT scores. GPA much more.

I think in personal statements, the key is just to avoid writing anything damning, as opposed to trying to impress them. As long as your personal statement doesn't have anything questionable in it (offensive, immoral, etc.), then it's probably fine enough.

My stats are weird because I went to graduate school in a hard STEM subject and had a high GPA as well. So I'm not very traditional. But really I think anything above 3.0 will get you in anywhere, and 2.6+ probably won't even stop you from getting in somewhere.

You should apply as soon as possible to the places you want to go, but beware, some places need you to accept their acceptance soon after it's offered so there is pressure there.

I would really appreciate if someone could take a look at my personal statement and offer me any advice. I can message it to you! I could really use some guidance regarding what I should remove, add, or focus more on.

On the application portal it tells us that only 4,500 characters are allowed for the personal statement. That's around 686 words. Was it always this much or was this a recent change? How do you guys recommend fitting everything I want to talk about in 600ish words (what should I focus on more?).

Also, do you think I could talk more about my experiences in that section and leave them out of my personal statement? Would that be a good idea or no?
There is a huge recruitment crisis so you as the applicant have a huge advantage over previous years. Main thing with a PS is don't let it get in the way. You're not going to land a spot with an incredible on, but a really bizarre one will likely also keep you out. Just be brief and to the point. No one has time or energy to read a thesis.