I need some advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanta

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are lucky enough to get an interview for entrance into medical school, how does one go about explaining a bad semester. I am sure the interviewer's notice this fact, so for anyone who has had to go through this, what have been some of your explanations? Any help or advice about what to do or say would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

well i had a bad second semester my freshman year. This was mostly because i had mono during the semester. thats basically how i explained it. also during other semesters i got a few not so good grades...and i explained those by talking about my other activities and that sometimes i felt over-commited.

hope that helps,
knish

thanks for the reply knish. I think my bad semester had to do with me being a little over ambitious. That semester I was taking 2 biology's, 2 chemistry's and a 4 hour spanish class. I guess I could mention that if I am lucky enough to get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't see the point in "explaining" bad semesters -- if future coursework proves otherwise and everything else is great.

All your explanations really come down to excuses. As long as you've learned from it and have moved on, then not to worry. Your past mistakes do not become who you are in the present/future unless you make it that way.

bonnie

Don't say anything unless your interviewer brings it up first. I definitely had some "red flags" on my application, but they only asked about it at 2 of 8 interviews. Answer as honestly and maturely as you can -- don't make excuses. If it was just a combination of being overambitious, not quite mature enough to handle the classes, or being unable to manage your time and plan -- just state it and move on. Also say what you learned from the experience so that they realize you hopefully won't make the same mistakes in med school.