I need some advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post so forgive me if this question has previously been asked or if I should have placed it in another section.

I attend a small private college and being a hopeful medical student I am frantic about med shcool, eventhough I am only a freshmen, so I called my state's university to ask a few questions. Which I tend to do quite often, I'm OCD (not really). When I told the person in admissions that I tend this small private college she kinda-sorta acted as if this would not be great on my application but on the other hand she didn't act like it would be a negative, but I caught a slight "iffy" tone in her voice. I only attended this small college to cash in on an athletic scholarship which is paying for my undergrad studies. Last summer I worked at a local hospital and this summer I plan to volunteer at the hospital and potentially a nursing home, I also plan to do several doc shadows. I have a decent of GPA 3.85 and a science GPA of 4.0. Will attending this small private school affect my chances of getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post so forgive me if this question has previously been asked or if I should have placed it in another section.

I attend a small private college and being a hopeful medical student I am frantic about med shcool, eventhough I am only a freshmen, so I called my state's university to ask a few questions. Which I tend to do quite often, I'm OCD (not really). When I told the person in admissions that I tend this small private college she kinda-sorta acted as if this would not be great on my application but on the other hand she didn't act like it would be a negative, but I caught a slight "iffy" tone in her voice. I only attended this small college to cash in on an athletic scholarship which is paying for my undergrad studies. Last summer I worked at a local hospital and this summer I plan to volunteer at the hospital and potentially a nursing home, I also plan to do several doc shadows. I have a decent of GPA 3.85 and a science GPA of 4.0. Will attending this small private school affect my chances of getting into medical school?

no. just continue doing what you are doing.

do you guys have a premed office? maybe ask for help from adviser and limit phone calls to admissions office.

Not all small, private colleges are in the same league. That said, playing a varsity sport and getting great grades might set you apart from other applicants from similar schools.

The problem of applicants with great gpas from small schools is proving that they didn't do well just because the competition was light. This means that you need to do exceptionally well on the MCAT to show what you can do in comparison to the entire pool of med school applicants.

You are getting good clinical exposure. In Summer '08 or during the '08-09 academic year, try to get some exposure to research on campus. You may have faculty members in chemistry or biology who are doing research; the psychology department is another possiblity. This gives you some exposure to the scientific method and can only help your application.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I was starting to stress..

I also go to a private college and they seemed to actually like that fact during my interview: "oh, you kids are pretty well-behaved up there, aren't you?" :laugh:

You'll be just fine - sounds like you're well on your way