I need some answers-India med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I need some answers.

I'm currently a pre-med student planning to complete med school and residency in the U.S. My plan is to move back to India (my home country) after residency and practice there. Ultimately, I want to settle down there...

So my questions are:

1.How difficult is it for a U.S medical graduate and resident to get a good job in India?
Isn't the U.S med school degree recognized around the world?

2. I know that there are good private hospitals and some new hospitals affiliated with big U.S healthcare organizations (like American Cancer Institute, etc) and telemedicine companies opening up in multiplex cities, like Mumbai, Hyd, Chennai, etc. Will such hospitals, who I hope wish to recruit doctors with U.S connections, accept me in a heartbeat?

3.What is the salary like for a U.S returned doctor practicing in a private hospital in India vs. practicing in a government hospital?

4. How does the licensing process for registration of foreign-trained doctors work? Is there an exam that U.S MD's have to take in order to practice in India??? Do we need to repeat any schooling?

What I'm trying to get at is: Are U.S MD's at a greater advantage in India when it comes to securing the best, private hospital jobs?

Please, please, pleaaase help me relieve my confusion.

Thanks!

Remember this, any WESTERN physician that has completed ALL his/her training (this means medical school and residency) is wanted by almost EVERY country.

Why? Western standards are known to be higher and they recruit bright students. Also, the country doesn't have to spend money training you. The country that trained you spends money ON you to train you to become a physician. So essentially the country is getting a physician (not easy to train) for free. Who wouldn't want that?

I would never recommend you finish m school in the US and go elsewhere for residency, if you ever decide to return to the US they want you to have completed residency in the US.

If India is anything like China, if you work in private hospitals focusing on expats you will make a similar salary to the US (which would make you rich with India's cost of living). However these private hospitals will want mostly family physicians

If you work in a government hospital i doubt you will be paid nearly as much as a US doc (thats why so many indian physicians try to come to the US)

If you work in a private hospital that treats Indians i don't know you could make a lot though.

You shouldn't have a problem getting recruited provided you are a good physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to come to India if you have done all your training in the USA but if you did yes your degrees will be greatly valued here but legally I know you have to write an exam . You will have to find that out probably from MCI . An MRCP etc is not recognized if you apply for a Government job but recognized in private for sure.Lots of doctors practice medicine in India without writing the exam though Many doctors did MBBS in India, since they could not get post graduation ( some did go after post graduation) went abroad did their FRCS, MRCP etc and come back. Their degrees were useful in private not in Government practice. Most important is to bring an expertise which is not so common where you will be working. off course that depends what one wants to do with their career.

when I say US trained I mean ones that have completed residency. Especially in demand are those who have completed residency in fields just starting to gain traction in India. For example pulmonology and critical care are become big in India just now. Not many skilled/trained people are there to set up protocols for such departments which usually run hand in glove with everyone in the ICU.
I know that the guy who apollo has running their bangalore ICU's is very highly paid. He was recently lured away from Fortis hospital and gets paid 60 lakh's a month and was gifted a s class for leaving fortis and joining Apollo. He was also put in charge of all ICU's apollo has in terms of protocol set up...

The point is if you go there with a simple degree in just basic medicine... you will survive... but if you sub specialize in something and train for a while in america your worth goes drastically up as you are one of very few doctors to implement what you know.