I need some guidance please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFares

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a D4 student in Lebanon looking into applying to the States as soon as I graduate.
I've done a bit of research and the process won't be easy. So i decided to start preparing beforehand and ordered some books to help me prepare for the NBDE. (Never too early for that lol)
Here are some information about me that might be useful for one of the processes, whether it be the visa or the application to a school there.
I already have a bachelor in biochemistry.
I'm fluent in 4 languages.
My average 13.6/20 which is relatively considered good given that the highest average revolves around 14/20 more or less.
I'm planning on staying in the States.

I just thought that it would be a good idea to start planning a couple of years ahead than to wait for the last minute.
My family won't be able to fully support me financially so I'm going to have to look into scholarships (if international students are eligible), financial aids and loans.

Now my question is, is it a better idea if I go do my postgraduate studies there and then take the board exams and get licensed?
And can someone who has been in my shoes, walk me through the entire process? From leaving my home country, to board exams and getting settled. I know this is a lot to ask but I'm really nervous about this entire endeavor.

Thank you all very much!

Members don't see this ad.

First couple of things you need to find out before getting too excited are
1. Are you able to get visitor or student visa. You might not be able to, especially if you are single and have little ties to your home country
2. Will you be able to get private loans. For that you need to contact American banks. At least you need to have a relative in the US with high income and good credit history, who will be willing to be a co-signer on the loan with you. Which means basically pay this loan for you if you wouldn't be able to, loans are about 250K on average
3. How do you plan to support yourself in the US. You are not permitted to work on student visa, maybe just a small number of hours, which would not be enough to support yourself. Scholarships and grants are not available for international students

First couple of things you need to find out before getting too excited are
1. Are you able to get visitor or student visa. You might not be able to, especially if you are single and have little ties to your home country
2. Will you be able to get private loans. For that you need to contact American banks. At least you need to have a relative in the US with high income and good credit history, who will be willing to be a co-signer on the loan with you. Which means basically pay this loan for you if you wouldn't be able to, loans are about 250K on average
3. How do you plan to support yourself in the US. You are not permitted to work on student visa, maybe just a small number of hours, which would not be enough to support yourself. Scholarships and grants are not available for international students

Thanks for the reply!
To answer your questions, I honestly have no idea as to what type of visa I have to apply for. But if I were to apply for a student's visa, I think it would be relatively easy for me because I already have a few relatives and friends there.

I might not need any loaning but if I did I have someone to support me.

I'm not worried about the costs of living, I already have that covered.

What else do i need to worry about? lol

Government does not care if you have friends or relatives, they care to see that you will return to your home country after your visit/course of studies
So explore that first and then keep in mind that the process takes awhile and it helps to have at least some experience in a home country
All other information is on the ADA website