I Need Your Opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ED Doc18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I am excited to hear everyone's opinion on my situation. I just started the second semester of my junior year with a 3.34 overall and 3.34 science GPA. After my freshman year I decided to transfer schools and move to Florida. In retrospect, this was the worst decision of my life and I regret it every day. Some nights I can't sleep because I cannot stop thinking about it. During my time there I was completely distracted and lived the "college life" as seen in the movies. Barely went to class, instead I partied and went to the beach (such an easy decision at the time with the beach only 10 mins away). In the 2 semesters in FL, I ended up with a 2.84 overall and 2.88 science (2 Cs were the worst grades I received). But the biggest problem was getting jammed up in the immature, irresponsible life I was living and I got caught with pot (wrong place wrong time but I still take 100% responsibility for my actions) in my dorm room and my roommate and I were suspended for a semester. I know I am going to be asked about the suspension everywhere I go and I am not worried about talking about it. The person that was in Florida was not who I really am. I was 19 years old, it was the first time living on my own, was 1000 miles away from my parents, and wasn't mature enough to handle myself. I was an honor student in high school, played varsity sports throughout and was well known throughout my community. Looking back, I am actually glad that I was suspended. I believe everything happens for a reason and if I was not suspended I would have continued my party life with a 2.8 GPA (maybe worse) and would have had nothing to show for myself. The suspension was a blessing in disguise and I believe it has driven me back in the right direction. I realize now that was a huge mistake I made but I cannot change the past and try to keep my head up about my future. I just do not want one stupid, immature mistake to kill my dream of becoming a physician.
After getting the much needed wakeup call to get my **** together I decided to move back home and transfer back to my original university. I have always been a bright kid and an extremely hard worker. I finally realized that I was completely wasting my ability to do something great and decided to grow up and start getting serious about my future. Once I got back home I knew what had to be done and immediately started working my ass off. 3 years later and here I am with my life almost completely back on track. At my current university I have a 3.49 overall GPA and I have been on the Dean's list 3 out of 6 semesters at the university. My GPA has been progressing and I just finished the fall semester with a 3.75 which consisted of my upper level biochem classes. Like I said earlier my science and overall GPA including the FL classes is at a 3.34 and I know if I didn't go to FL my GPA would be much higher.
I have decided that I want to become a physician and I am determined to not stop until I reach this goal. I know the suspension is going to be a problem but hope the adcomms will see that I have made a mistake (no one's perfect) but have moved past it, matured and I now ready to take on the responsibilities needed to succeed in this amazing profession.

Here is a list of some of my EC to get a better understanding of my situation:

-200 hrs volunteer work in a well known, extremely busy emergency dept.
-worked last summer conducting research at my university's medical school (about 280 hrs)
-worked last semester conducting research at my university's pharmacy school and just received a scholarship/grant to continue my project into the current semester (150+ hrs)
-volunteered at my former high school helping and teaching the wrestling team and was one of the people in charge of managing post-season tournament which was held at the school for two years.
-volunteered at a local physical therapy clinic for two months
-currently employed as a pharm tech for the last two years
-shadowed one physician for 1 day (I know this isn't much and plan to do more and also the volunteering at the hospital allows me to watch gifted physicians at work)
-currently 5 strong LORs and will be getting 2 more

Now this brings me to my possible choices. I am taking a Kaplan course immediately after this semester and planning on taking the MCAT in June. I will be graduating in May 2013. I know I am at the lower end with my GPA (I plan to do well again this semester which with a 4.0 will only bring it up to about a 3.44) so would it be a better idea to wait to apply for 2014 so I will have the two semesters of my senior year included in my GPA? I know the suspension is going to hurt so I would like to have a higher GPA to help balance it out. Or do you think that I should give it a try and apply this summer for entering 2013? I am a very realistic person and do not want to waste my time this year if I'm just praying for a miracle. I am in no rush to make it to medical school, I have made my decision and regardless what I have to do I will not stop no matter how long it will take me. I WILL BECOME A PHYSICIAN!!!

Please feel free to give me your opinion on how the suspension will affect my chances and also on my overall situation and what my plan should be. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would classify your ECs as above average. Get some more formal shadowing in (including spending sufficient time with a primary care doc). The average is 50 hours total for shadowing.

I don't think your suspension is a huge deal. Sure you'll have to mention it but I don't think it will kill your app. I am more worried about your GPA. Your GPA at your new school alone is a 3.5, which is decent but below average for MD admissions. Combine that with your FL GPA and you've got a problem because your GPA drops even lower. The reason I'm worried is because you've spun your story to say "I screwed up in FL when I was 19, got caught up in the beach and partying and pot, got my act together and redeemed myself at my new school." The problem with that is that you've still only got a 3.5 at your new school, so even if adcomms cut you some slack and "forget" about FL, you've still got what would be considered a low GPA for MD admissions. What has your grade trend been like at your new school? It sounds like you've had an upward trend there too. How many semesters have you had where you've been at 3.7+? Why haven't all of your grades been like that? As an outsider looking in, it seems like you might not have learned your lesson in FL and still messed around for a little while once you got to your new school. (I'm not trying to beat you up, just trying to help you gain some perspective on your story and help you spin it the right way)

I consider your idea to take a gap year to improve your GPA to be solid. I wouldn't be super concerned with your overall GPA but rather with creating (and maintaining) a strong upward trend.

I would strongly consider adding DO schools too if I were you, given your GPA and not knowing your MCAT score.

Hello all I am excited to hear everyone’s opinion on my situation. I just started the second semester of my junior year with a 3.34 overall and 3.34 science GPA. After my freshman year I decided to transfer schools and move to Florida. In retrospect, this was the worst decision of my life and I regret it every day. Some nights I can’t sleep because I cannot stop thinking about it. During my time there I was completely distracted and lived the “college life” as seen in the movies. Barely went to class, instead I partied and went to the beach (such an easy decision at the time with the beach only 10 mins away). In the 2 semesters in FL, I ended up with a 2.84 overall and 2.88 science (2 Cs were the worst grades I received). But the biggest problem was getting jammed up in the immature, irresponsible life I was living and I got caught with pot (wrong place wrong time but I still take 100% responsibility for my actions) in my dorm room and my roommate and I were suspended for a semester. I know I am going to be asked about the suspension everywhere I go and I am not worried about talking about it. The person that was in Florida was not who I really am. I was 19 years old, it was the first time living on my own, was 1000 miles away from my parents, and wasn’t mature enough to handle myself. I was an honor student in high school, played varsity sports throughout and was well known throughout my community. Looking back, I am actually glad that I was suspended. I believe everything happens for a reason and if I was not suspended I would have continued my party life with a 2.8 GPA (maybe worse) and would have had nothing to show for myself. The suspension was a blessing in disguise and I believe it has driven me back in the right direction. I realize now that was a huge mistake I made but I cannot change the past and try to keep my head up about my future. I just do not want one stupid, immature mistake to kill my dream of becoming a physician.
After getting the much needed wakeup call to get my **** together I decided to move back home and transfer back to my original university. I have always been a bright kid and an extremely hard worker. I finally realized that I was completely wasting my ability to do something great and decided to grow up and start getting serious about my future. Once I got back home I knew what had to be done and immediately started working my ass off. 3 years later and here I am with my life almost completely back on track. At my current university I have a 3.49 overall GPA and I have been on the Dean’s list 3 out of 6 semesters at the university. My GPA has been progressing and I just finished the fall semester with a 3.75 which consisted of my upper level biochem classes. Like I said earlier my science and overall GPA including the FL classes is at a 3.34 and I know if I didn’t go to FL my GPA would be much higher.
I have decided that I want to become a physician and I am determined to not stop until I reach this goal. I know the suspension is going to be a problem but hope the adcomms will see that I have made a mistake (no one’s perfect) but have moved past it, matured and I now ready to take on the responsibilities needed to succeed in this amazing profession.

Here is a list of some of my EC to get a better understanding of my situation:

-200 hrs volunteer work in a well known, extremely busy emergency dept.
-worked last summer conducting research at my university’s medical school (about 280 hrs)
-worked last semester conducting research at my university’s pharmacy school and just received a scholarship/grant to continue my project into the current semester (150+ hrs)
-volunteered at my former high school helping and teaching the wrestling team and was one of the people in charge of managing post-season tournament which was held at the school for two years.
-volunteered at a local physical therapy clinic for two months
-currently employed as a pharm tech for the last two years
-shadowed one physician for 1 day (I know this isn’t much and plan to do more and also the volunteering at the hospital allows me to watch gifted physicians at work)
-currently 5 strong LORs and will be getting 2 more

Now this brings me to my possible choices. I am taking a Kaplan course immediately after this semester and planning on taking the MCAT in June. I will be graduating in May 2013. I know I am at the lower end with my GPA (I plan to do well again this semester which with a 4.0 will only bring it up to about a 3.44) so would it be a better idea to wait to apply for 2014 so I will have the two semesters of my senior year included in my GPA? I know the suspension is going to hurt so I would like to have a higher GPA to help balance it out. Or do you think that I should give it a try and apply this summer for entering 2013? I am a very realistic person and do not want to waste my time this year if I’m just praying for a miracle. I am in no rush to make it to medical school, I have made my decision and regardless what I have to do I will not stop no matter how long it will take me. I WILL BECOME A PHYSICIAN!!!

Please feel free to give me your opinion on how the suspension will affect my chances and also on my overall situation and what my plan should be. Thanks for everyone’s help in advance.
I doubt the suspension will have an impact if it's the only blemish on your record and you present it properly.

What effect will another year of As have on your cGPA and BCPM GPA?

Are you an excellent test taker who is sure to get an amazing MCAT score?

Have you considered adding DO schools to your list? If you've retaken any classes, your GPAs may be higher as calculated by AACOMAS, the DO application service.

What are your year-by-year GPAs at your current school?

Do you have the financial resources to pay for an SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your inputs.
OK I understand what you are saying about my story, I guess to me on a personal level it just seems like such a great improvement compared to FL but yes I agree it is below average. But from an outside point of view I agree with what you are saying. Any suggestions on another angle I should go with? I will plan to get some shadowing down over this semester. As for my GPA trend after returning from FL it is 3.0, 3.36, 3.69, 3.74. If I get a 4.0 as planned this semester I will have a 3.41 cGPA and a 3.46 sGPA. I believe that I am a strong test taker and planning for a MCAT score that should definitely help me. I could possibly do an SMP but would rather wait for that as a last resort. I have not looked into any DO schools but will start right away.

Are there any more advice relating to some ECs or anything that will help me getting into a medical school?