I never would have known

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddy King

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A dental assistant recently told me she is continually being invited to attend, for a substantial sitting fee, dental seminars on new products. As she explained it, these seminars are designed to sell product to a captive audience and pay quite a bit of money for your attention. All you have to do is go and listen for the full time.

She mentioned a similar invitation is always open to any dentist, and that hourly compensation for dentists is jaw-droppingly high. This makes sense when you consider the opportunity cost of potential income the dentist sacrifices when away from private practice.

I just thought it was interesting that you could get paid well to sit and listen to product presentations. A few more benefits of a dental education.

Members don't see this ad.

Where in the US is the dental assistant listening to these lectures? An interesting idea, I never knew about this or heard about it around here!

What's the "jaw-dropping" fee?

I believe it was Indianapolis or maybe Chicago - she was out of town somewhere in the Midwest. I didn't ask actual compensation. She just said it was an awful lot of money, and that they must move a lot of product.