1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

I never would have known

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Freddy King, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Freddy King

Freddy King Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

A dental assistant recently told me she is continually being invited to attend, for a substantial sitting fee, dental seminars on new products. As she explained it, these seminars are designed to sell product to a captive audience and pay quite a bit of money for your attention. All you have to do is go and listen for the full time.

She mentioned a similar invitation is always open to any dentist, and that hourly compensation for dentists is jaw-droppingly high. This makes sense when you consider the opportunity cost of potential income the dentist sacrifices when away from private practice.

I just thought it was interesting that you could get paid well to sit and listen to product presentations. A few more benefits of a dental education.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Where in the US is the dental assistant listening to these lectures? An interesting idea, I never knew about this or heard about it around here!

4. fourpointohoh

fourpointohoh Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What's the "jaw-dropping" fee?

5. Freddy King

Freddy King Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe it was Indianapolis or maybe Chicago - she was out of town somewhere in the Midwest. I didn't ask actual compensation. She just said it was an awful lot of money, and that they must move a lot of product.