This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pcf2109

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a masters in I/O psychology, would it be possible for me to get into a clinical or counseling psychology phd program?
 
Well, yes, it's possible, but it seems like there are other questions you're intimating, but not explicitly asking.

Depending on the program, they might accept some of your master's program coursework in lieu of attending those courses in their program, e.g., exempting you from a stats course if you have already completed a comparable stats course. This often just involves the instructor in PhD class looking at your grad program syllabus.

They might also accept your I/O grad thesis, if you completed one, and not require you to complete another one during their PhD program, but again, it depends on the program.
 
Well, yes, it's possible, but it seems like there are other questions you're intimating, but not explicitly asking.

Depending on the program, they might accept some of your master's program coursework in lieu of attending those courses in their program, e.g., exempting you from a stats course if you have already completed a comparable stats course. This often just involves the instructor in PhD class looking at your grad program syllabus.

They might also accept your I/O grad thesis, if you completed one, and not require you to complete another one during their PhD program, but again, it depends on the program.

Thank you for answering! I am aware that I will most likely have to start all over.
 
Thank you for answering! I am aware that I will most likely have to start all over.
That's not exactly what I said. My point was that it's program-specific, but also dependent upon what you actually did during your previous grad program. You could have to start over from scratch. You could be exempt from doing a thesis and some courses and move on to doing your quals/comps/prelims. Or, you could be somewhere in between those two extremes.

It's something to look for in program handbooks, websites, and other materials, ask about when you get interviews, or even to directly ask someone in the program before you apply.