I/o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bludreamz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I hope this is the right thread for this. I am planning to apply this fall for 2009 I/O psych. I was wondering what to aim for in terms of stats GPA, GRE, Research (how long?), etc.

I was also wondering how much the prestige of the school counts in getting a job. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not alot of I/O people here that I know of. I'm clinical, along with about 90% of the rest. Hope you can get some responses.

I didn't apply to I/O programs, but did look at them. Take the following with a grain of salt since I don't know it as well as others may.

Importance of prestige depends on what kind of jobs you're looking at. Want to be in a top consulting firm? Definitely. Looking for a run-of-the-mill HR job? Less so. It matters some for academia as well, but the prestige of your advisor matters more.

For stats, its somewhat similar to clinical. GPA 3.5 or above. GRE 1200 or above, 1300 or above for top programs. You can get by with a little less research experience, but I think a year or so is still needed. They'll look more favorably on non-research jobs as well...the top candidates often have experience as an intern or employee in either a corporation or a consulting firm.

Like I said, not exactly my area, so take it with a grain of salt. Its a LITTLE less competitive than clinical, but not by much, and its becoming more competitive every year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, Ollie!

I'm okay gradewise/scorewise, but am lacking in the research department. I am doing some volunteer research now while working part-time, and living off savings (probably familiar to some people out there!) If I don't get into graduate school (highly likely), I will look into some jobs that are to my advantage (good tip!)

any future imput (from anyone) is also appreciated!
Like, how to manage with low funds!!!

Also, as a side question, how is teachers college viewed? i haven't looked into the program in detail yet, but was wondering if it's generally considered to be part of Columbia.

I applied to 9 I/O programs this year and I was accepted into 4 of them. I will be attending a top 5 program. My GPA was 3.44 and I got a 1440 on my GRE's. I think a lot of schools tend to focus on the last two years GPA which helped me out b/c it was much higher (3.8ish). I had a year of post-undergrad ra experience and I completed an undergrad thesis. If you go to SIOP's website (www.siop.org) they have a listing with the admission statistics for all the I/O programs. I am not really sure how big of a difference the prestige thing makes, so I can't really help you there. However, I do know that you can have a great career even if your degree isn't from a top ten program. Also, there are some very good newer programs that have not quite established their reputations yet (Central Florida comes to mind). When you apply, make sure to choose which schools to apply to based on your match with faculty interests rather than on prestige alone. Let me know if you have any questions, and I know how you feel b/c I was in your same shoes this time last year. Good luck!