This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KevinMD5552

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the co-owner of a social media agency, although it's in its infancy (5 months), we've partnered up with some experts in multiple platforms and are well on our way to success. I apply MD this year and my partner will receive a large portion of the equity I hold once I leave to medical school. We have plans to automate majority of the business before than.

I graduated with an arch. degree 2 years ago, but in those 2 years I did a tremendous number of pre-med stuff which I know hold well against teir 1 school applicants with some publications, good scores and what not. I'm applying mostly top tier and all Cali schools.

I'm being a full time entrepreneur until I get into medical school - I want to learn what it's like. But I'm worried medical schools will look down upon this, because I started it a couple months before applications (not had it for 5+ years before applying), thinking I'm not dedicated to medicine (but I am, this is the only chance I'll get to do this though).

Any thoughts on how it might appear to medical admissions? Should I not disclose it? It is on my facebook, Linkedin, and youtube channels however if you looked me up. Do they look up LinkedIn profiles much?

Members don't see this ad.

I read your title as an S&M Agency.

Entrepreneurship is valued at many schools (either way...).
That's pretty funny! Now that you read it, any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's pretty funny! Now that you read it, any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate it!
I don't see a problem for the most part.
There is the issue that social media only comes to our attention when there is a negative outcome (Harvard undergrad).

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated with an arch. degree 2 years ago, but in those 2 years I did a tremendous number of pre-med stuff which I know hold well against teir 1 school applicants with some publications, good scores and what not. I'm applying mostly top tier and all Cali schools.
No opinion on the kinky-sounding business, but after reading the bold I feel compelled to say go make a WAMC and get this confirmed by some vets.

I don't see a problem for the most part.
There is the issue that social media only comes to our attention when there is a negative outcome (Harvard undergrad).
Hey GynGyn, I noticed you posted to a similar thread with the same answer about entrepreneurship (Will This Hurt or Help My Application?). I'm wondering, at least according to all the things next to your profile, you know the process quite well! Why would it not be viewed in a bad light so close to apps?

No opinion on the kinky-sounding business, but after reading the bold I feel compelled to say go make a WAMC and get this confirmed by some vets.
Thank's for the insights, I'm of course applying to fall backs and such which I would be happy to go to as well. What is WAMC? I was a bit confused on what I found on google, and confirmed by vets as in contact existing students first?

EDIT: WAMC is what are my chances

Last edited:
Hey GynGyn, I noticed you posted to a similar thread with the same answer about entrepreneurship (Will This Hurt or Help My Application?). I'm wondering, at least according to all the things next to your profile, you know the process quite well! Why would it not be viewed in a bad light so close to apps?
We want folks who develop their talents.
This happens to be yours.
Even if there is a bitter taste for "SM" among those of us who didn't grow up with it, there is an offset benefit for those who develop their talents.

Even if there is a bitter taste for "SM" among those of us who didn't grow up with it, there is an offset benefit for those who develop their talents.
Thank you GynGyn, I appreciate the insights!

Thank's for the insights, I'm of course applying to fall backs and such which I would be happy to go to as well. What is WAMC? I was a bit confused on what I found on google, and confirmed by vets as in contact existing students first?
WAMC = What Are My Chances, a subforum on SDN. By vets I meant veteran users in that subforum - people with experience in admissions, or that have gone through the cycle themselves with lots of success, and/or that have been on the forums for years and seen thousands of threads on the topic.

Every once in a while someone comes on with a solid app but very, very top-heavy list and needs to be told to be a little more cautious and add certain schools!

WAMC = What Are My Chances, a subforum on SDN. By vets I meant veteran users in that subforum - people with experience in admissions, or that have gone through the cycle themselves with lots of success, and/or that have been on the forums for years and seen thousands of threads on the topic.

Every once in a while someone comes on with a solid app but very, very top-heavy list and needs to be told to be a little more cautious and add certain schools!
"Top-heavy list"? As in too many experiences? JW thank you for the advice :)

"Top-heavy list"? As in too many experiences? JW thank you for the advice :)
Top-heavy list as in their list of schools that they are applying to is full of extremely competitive names, which are a crapshoot even for great candidates. I've seen people that are planning on only applying to a short list of top 20s for example.

Top-heavy list as in their list of schools that they are applying to is full of extremely competitive names, which are a crapshoot even for great candidates. I've seen people that are planning on only applying to a short list of top 20s for example.
Oh I see, I have 5 fall backs, most of which I have good reason to say I have a connection to and chance to get in (all chicago schools). But I agree, my spread is 5 fallback, 4 on par, 6 reach. Thank you efle!

Hey GynGyn, I thought of one more question I'd appreciate if you could give me some insight on. My PS and work experiences have already been processed. I plan on mentioning the company on the secondaries. I had to not mention some experiences in the "work experiences" section and double many of them up. Will they question (in a bad way) why I didn't put the company there?

Hey GynGyn, I thought of one more question I'd appreciate if you could give me some insight on. My PS and work experiences have already been processed. I plan on mentioning the company on the secondaries. I had to not mention some experiences in the "work experiences" section and double many of them up. Will they question (in a bad way) why I didn't put the company there?
Probably not, especially if it's not related to medicine.

I run a semi-successful SAAS startup. I'm still in school and work on the business part time. I briefly included it in my Activities section and mentioned I've hired help and the business is semi-automated. The wording for the activity was extremely cut and dry but I felt that I needed to get certain points across (e.g. my commitment is indeed medicine despite working on startup etc).