I really can't afford vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :hello:

I know there are some threads about this, but I think my situation is a little different.

So... I'm in my first year of college. I'm going to community college because it was all I/my parents could afford. My parents have a high income, so I got only a tiny bit of financial aid, but they're not in a good situation financially and couldn't afford to pay for college. I did very well in high school and I was offered scholarships at all the colleges I applied to, but with tuition and room and board they barely covered half the cost. I was planning to graduate from cc next semester and transfer to a 4 year school.

I wanted to be a vet since I was a little kid, up until my last year of high school when I realized how much vet school costs and how little money vets make. I talked to the vet we took my dogs to and even she said that if I could see myself doing anything else, I should do that instead. So that was really discouraging. I've thought about other careers I might enjoy, but I keep coming back to thinking that being a vet is the only thing I would ever really be happy doing.

The problem is I don't think I could ever afford vet school. I could go to an in-state college for undergrad, but here in lovely NJ, in-state tuition is very high, so I'd definitely have to take out loans for undergrad. And since there aren't any vet schools here, I would have to go to an out-of-state vet school and take out even more loans.

I know from having older siblings that paying back student loans sucks, and the fact that vets don't make all that much money makes it even worse. I would probably have to take out over 100k in loans to pay for college and vet school, and I really don't want to do that to myself.

I'm so confused about what to do. I want to be a vet, but it costs so much. I was thinking about taking a year off after undergrad, move to a state with a vet school, live there for a year and then apply as an in-state student, but from what I've read, the college can still deny you in-state tuition, and what if I don't get accepted into that school at all? I'm worried that community college will hurt my chances anyway...

What are some options? Should I just find something else I might enjoy doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Almost everyone that goes to vet school takes out loans, even for in-state tuition - it's essentially part of the deal. If you aren't comfortable with that (which is understandable), there really isn't any advice to give - don't apply.

As for doing something else - what else have you looked in to? What about veterinary medicine appeals to you so strongly? Do you already have veterinary experience to substantiate your desire to go into vet medicine? I'd wager that a huge majority of little girls wanted to be vets as children, but loving animals isn't enough to get you through the rigorous courses, seemingly arbitrary admissions process and then the work load of vet school itself. You need to have something else driving you.

Almost everyone that goes to vet school takes out loans, even for in-state tuition - it's essentially part of the deal. If you aren't comfortable with that (which is understandable), there really isn't any advice to give - don't apply.

As for doing something else - what else have you looked in to? What about veterinary medicine appeals to you so strongly? Do you already have veterinary experience to substantiate your desire to go into vet medicine? I'd wager that a huge majority of little girls wanted to be vets as children, but loving animals isn't enough to get you through the rigorous courses, seemingly arbitrary admissions process and then the work load of vet school itself. You need to have something else driving you.

I know most people take out some loans, but over 100k? I'd be in debt my whole life. The cost is the only thing holding me back from being a vet.

I do love animals, but I'm also interested in medicine and disease in general, surgery, pharmacology, etc. and I'm good with science. I shadowed a few vets and enjoyed it. But I wouldn't want to do any kind of human medicine. It's not that I don't like people, just that diseases in animals fascinate me, in humans they disgust me :D

I've thought about maybe occupational therapy or speech pathology with kids because I have experience working with special needs children, but I'm not entirely sure I would enjoy those jobs either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know most people take out some loans, but over 100k? I'd be in debt my whole life. The cost is the only thing holding me back from being a vet.

I will be very close to 300K in loans by the time I am out of vet school. This includes both undergrad and vet school. Can I really afford it? No. Will I make it work somehow? Yes.

Join the club. We all feel the same way... that vet school is expensive and it will be hard at first to adjust once we graduate. But I also know there is nothing else that I want to do.

I do love animals, but I'm also interested in medicine and disease in general, surgery, pharmacology, etc. and I'm good with science. I shadowed a few vets and enjoyed it. But I wouldn't want to do any kind of human medicine. It's not that I don't like people, just that diseases in animals fascinate me, in humans they disgust me :D

I've thought about maybe occupational therapy or speech pathology with kids because I have experience working with special needs children, but I'm not entirely sure I would enjoy those jobs either.

$100k is just below the average that students take out for vet school. Personally, I'll be out over $200k by the end of it and I'm not the only one. Moving to gain residency is definitely a possibility.

If you love animals, you can always consider things like vet tech (and not just in small animal hospitals, but research or zoos) or farm/barn manager. You might also be interested in research or even teaching sciences (more required the older you want to teach, but you could combine this with your interest in children!) I think the key is to continue gaining experiences in the fields that interest you and do your best to sort through which feel like the best fit.

Unfortunately, with the way the vet community is right now, your vet is right: if there is something that interests you more, I would go for that. You can always work with animals in another capacity :)

Maybe you could look into veterinary research instead. There are plenty of PhD students/researchers in vet schools (yes, many have a DVM already, but plenty do not). Just a thought since as a PhD student you can get funding and suffer less financial burden than if you entered a DVM program.

Debt is how it goes though, I consider myself in a great spot to have willingly chosen an OOS school and predicting I'll have about 80k of debt by the end of it.

100K is really optimistically low to be honest, even with in state tuition. You should look at the "costs of vet school" thread to determine what the estimated debt would be for the schools you're interested in.

Also, I have known a few people who did relocate to gain residency and were successful, so that is possible, you just have to really know what the school is looking for and have a very strong application.

First off - this redhead agrees with what that redhead said above. Everyone will be in debt up to their eyeballs regardless - it isn't the ridiculously high cost of vet school that convinced any of us to take this road. We decided to do it despite the cost. Definitely think about it, and think about if your love of hard science matches your love of animals. I'd also second the advice to get some experience shadowing and see for yourself if this field is for you.

If you establish residency, I don't think they can deny you in-state tuition...but providing residency isn't always easy - I believe that is the problem. And it is a challenge to get an interview/accepted at all, regardless. It probably will help you some to try for in-state residency (emphasis on some) because the in-state pool has fewer applicants than the out-of-state pool - but that is just a numbers game, and as you have probably seen on this forum, even ridiculously well-qualified people don't always make it.

I don't think community college will hurt you, especially if you do transfer to a four-year school and take/excel in upper level science courses. I completed some of my prereqs at community college after I graduated with my degree and I decided for sure I wanted to go to vet school.

I'd also add that your 100k figure is probably a touch low - out-of-state, for vet school, with tuition and cost of living, you're more likely looking at 200-300k (and that's just for vet school, not counting college). Just something to bear in mind.

this is just the same sort of situation i went through. I also grew up in NJ. Going anywhere but OCC just wasn't financially smart. Much like you, i always knew i wanted to be a vet. I knew that putting vet school on loans is just part of the deal, so i made all my financial decisions leading up to vet school based on that.

I went to OCC via NJ STARS, worked full time all through cc, transferred to Rutgers. At Rutgers, I chose to live off campus (which cuts tuition down to an EXTREMELY reasonable, almost cheap, price) and did everything within my power to maintain NJ STARS. I continued to work part time to pay off everything as it came up: residual tuition, rent, groceries, books, ect. Everything I put into savings at cc went to those costs.

I never got much federal aid, and my parents help when they can. There were months where they couldn't give me anything (almost every month at cc), and there were months where they could pay almost everything and they really wanted to, so I was glad to take it. Those good months were more and more frequent as time went on because both my parents moved up in their careers. We are a middle class family, and right now many middle class families don't have it easy. My mom and my brother were also in college while I was, so my dad's extremely modest salary was what we all had.

I'm about to graduate undergrad and over my entire five years at school combined, I have maybe two to three grand I ever had to put on loans. I got a full time job six months ago and I'm already prepared to pay it off. When I go to vet school in September, I'll have a clean slate, which is exactly what I've worked my tail off for this whole time. Speaking of, question I have for anyone who's been in this situation - Can you pay off undergrad loans even though you're continuing to professional school? I know they want to defer the payments but I'd like to pay it off asap.

If you don't want to be in the debt situation, I'm sticking with thatredhead - don't apply. You can continue undergrad with vet school requirements in mind and set yourself up with a great job doing all kinds of things in the field of vet care. Maybe some years after graduation, if you have a good heap of money saved up and you still want to go, then apply. It's never too late to go! We have some really inspiring nontrads on this forum.

Maybe you could look into veterinary research instead. There are plenty of PhD students/researchers in vet schools (yes, many have a DVM already, but plenty do not). Just a thought since as a PhD student you can get funding and suffer less financial burden than if you entered a DVM program.

I'd just like to add that if you do discover research is something you like, combined DVM/Ph.D programs can help with the cost. If you are interested, PM me and we can talk more (I'm starting a combined program this fall).

I believe (based on a lunch lecture yesterday) that the current stats (if the lecturer was correct) are somewhere around:

o 10% of graduates have no debt
o The average debt among those who DO have debt is $140k or thereabouts.

No doubt, the cost of the degree is way, way out of line with the average starting salaries. That doesn't make it an impossible dream; it just makes it one that you're pretty tightly chained to once you get out if you're one of those coming out with $200k+ in debt, as opposed to other degrees that are less expensive where you can sorta get the degree and 'trial' the career. Or other health degrees where the cost might be similar, but the paycheck is substantially higher.

If you've really crunched the numbers correctly, and you'll be in $100,000 debt post vet-school, then you're in a much better situation than many many of your colleagues. That being said, it's totally a personal decision whether or not that $100,000 is something you can afford. Ask most of us on this forum, and we will say that yes, that is debt our lives can "afford," but then we might all just be a group of dummies :p

If you've really crunched the numbers correctly, and you'll be in $100,000 debt post vet-school, then you're in a much better situation than many many of your colleagues. That being said, it's totally a personal decision whether or not that $100,000 is something you can afford. Ask most of us on this forum, and we will say that yes, that is debt our lives can "afford," but then we might all just be a group of dummies :p

:thumbup::thumbup: The debt is daunting but when I ask myself if I can see myself doing anything else.. the answer is no :) When I interviewed at Penn and asked the interviewers the funding situation and how new graduates deal with the debt.. one of them literally (maybe jokingly..?) said either come from wealth, marry rich.. or loans. It'll be the latter for me :oops:

Also another note about PhD.. science is awesome but the state of funding is horrible. You have to really love it enough to eat, sleep and breathe science in order to succeed.. so I would caution getting only a PhD, unless you really love science. It seems as though the market is saturated in terms of jobs--my lab put out an ad for an entry level position for people with a BS or MS (research technician) and PhDs with 10+ years of postdoc experience were applying. Combined degrees are awesome and a great option to have but they are also super competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can completely understand why you are freaking out. I have had several anxiety attacks about the debt I will be in... I'm starting at CSU this fall, have no help from my parents, and will probably be about $300K in debt by the time I graduate. I don't think I'd go through with the whole thing if I was going to be a regular GP vet. The income to debt ratio is too low for me to rationalize going through with it. How I am dealing with it is planning to specialize. You can make almost double the amount specializing in something, so that definitely makes the debt I'll be in seem much more reasonable. Other options like this are going into pharmacology or nutrition (both make lots of money). I don't think people can manage being a GP vet unless they have very little debt. It's just not worth it in my opinion!

I will have over 300K in debt...I start in August and the thought of my debt is haunting me..it's very upsetting to think about having over $3000/month payments once I graduate not knowing if I'll make enough to cover that and living expenses.
BUT..here's the thing..this is my PASSION..this has been my dream since I was a kid. I have put so much time, effort and money into reaching this goal and I'm proud of how far I've come so far. I canNOT imagine myself doing anything else. Therefore..the money will work itself out somehow! I'm a religious person and I've prayed long and hard about my decisions and I know I'm following the right path.
Now..if this isn't your passion and you can see yourself doing something else other than being a vet, maybe you should consider doing something else because the debt is WAY too much to take on if this isn't your dream. If you like medicine in general I would recommend going to graduate school for something you enjoy...for example I really enjoyed microbiology and my emerging infectious diseases classes in undergrad. A friend of mine has considered going to graduate school to master in something along the lines of microbiology and a lot of graduate schools will basically pay you to go to school for science degrees..they pay you for your work and your research to the school which basically equals out your tuition..so if vet med isn't your passion I would find an option like that so you can afford it and be happy :)
good luck!

I think it's really good that you're thinking about this already. I think you just have to keep it in that balance where you're realistic and aware, but not totally stressing yourself out about it this early in the game.

Most people take out substantial loans with vet school. There are currently a ton of repayment options to help you pay off your loans and still be able to support yourself. Things do change depending on the government, but right now there are good programs in place.

Your plan of taking a year off and getting instate status is also something plenty of people do. Again I don't think it's something you need to stress out about now, just keep in the back of your mind.

I would suggest that you focus on doing well in the college you're in and on getting some vet experience. And try out other fields! Shadow a doctor or an engineer or anything else that interests you. Your parents may know people you can shadow or most schools have something where you can meet alumni in various fields. You don't have to be sure about anything right now - now is the time to soak up information and get to know yourself and what you enjoy learning about.

I think if you get some vet experience and decide this is definitely what you want, you will be able to make it happen. Maybe you will have to go to school part time while you work, or maybe you will get a really good scholarship, or maybe you will take a class that makes you realize you'd really rather be a Russian art historian. There are plenty of us in vet school with families that are not well off or with no family support and we are just fine - we may not live in 300k condos and visit the galapagos every summer like some people can do but we will all have the same degree at the end :)

Thanks everyone!

You guys made me think too much :laugh: Now I'm wondering if I should really be a vet, or if I should do something else, or drop out of college altogether :p Definitely estimated the cost modestly, it would be closer to 200k or 300k.

I don't think I'd want to be a research vet. I'd like to specialize though, I always wanted to do emergency and critical care or oncology. Lately I've really been thinking about being a tech. The CC in the next county over from me has a vet tech program, and NJ STARS would cover my tuition there, so I don't have much to lose. But I hear from techs that it's not worth it since they make so little money. If nothing else it would give me some experience actually working in a vet's office - so far vets have only allowed me to shadow them for a day - and then I could go back to school if I decided to be a vet. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I'll keep thinking about it. Thanks for your help everyone!

But I hear from techs that it's not worth it since they make so little money.

The vet techs at the clinic where I work are all very happy with their careers. Sure, their pay isn't great compared to other careers, but I doubt any of them would describe it as "not worth it." If you're passionate about vet medicine but intimidated by the debt, I think the vet tech route is a perfectly logical (and even practical) route to consider.

And even if you do become a vet, you're not exactly going to be rolling in the dough either...it'll necessitate a pretty modest way of living either way.

not many things stop me in my tracks when i think about whether or not i should go to vet school...but the debt does. most of the time i have accepted that i will be in a tremendous amount of debt for 10+ years, but sometimes it gets so overwhelming when i really think about it and think about what i'm potentially sacrificing.

i want to have a family and be stable. its going to be hard work to make that happen but i know many vets who have been able to do it.

just got to keep in mind why i want this and do my best to keep my debt as low as possible.

thinking about living in a camper for vet school! :laugh:

There are definitely ways to make it work. I've talked to a lot of vets while on clinical placement and expressed my worry about paying of my substantial debt ($274,000 by the end of it). All of them have said that it seems daunting at first, but it is more manageable than you think. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, and I walked into this knowing my debt would be substantial.

The other option is to marry rich. One vet I rode around with suggested that.

Thought I'd put my two cents in here.

You are in your first year of college. You haven't even begun to explore the possibilities of career paths, majors, etc. It's good that you're being proactive, but you aren't going to find any answers on here. ALL of us that get in to vet school will be in a substantial amount of debt. A lot of us here have parents that haven't contributed one cent to our education thus far. You aren't alone. It comes down to a question of drive. If it's what you want to do, money really shouldn't be an issue.

My advice is to get into research. You might be more intellectually interested in veterinary medicine than you think. You're in the wrong part of the country for affordable education. Rather than taking a year off between undergrad and applying, it would be FAR better to take a year off now, save up some money, move to a state that has affordable tuition (example move to Wisconsin where state universities such as UWRF are VERY affordable), get a job in an animal-related field, and keep working full time until you have lived in the state long enough to get in-state tuition. Then go back to school at a state university, go for a biomedical biology degree, get involved in research right away, keep your grades up, and you'll be set regardless of whether you want to go graduate school or veterinary school. If your goal is to get in and out as quickly as possible and not spend any money... well, sorry, in your situation that just can't happen.

also might be a good time to mention that there are several routes you can go to pay for vet school. most of us will take out huge loans. you can do the army or usda program. you could commit to working in a rural area after you finish vet schools.

if you really want it, and this is really what you are passionate about...you will make it happen.

I will be very close to 300K in loans by the time I am out of vet school. This includes both undergrad and vet school. Can I really afford it? No. Will I make it work somehow? Yes.

Join the club. We all feel the same way... that vet school is expensive and it will be hard at first to adjust once we graduate. But I also know there is nothing else that I want to do.

This. I just got over my freak out after signing my first year of loans...and there is way more to come. You just have to budget and believe :xf:

There are a lot of other factors in your choice that we haven't explored. What will you be using your future salary for? If you want to have kids, how many? What age do you plan to have them? Kids are expensive, and everyone has a different ideal time for having them (if they wish to have any). You may feel differently about debt if you feel you can pay it off before you have kids, therefore having more $$ to devote to them.

The same goes for the lifestyle you desire, where you want to live, and what you want to do. If your grades and scores are middling and you're interested in SA care, that will be more challenging. If you have amazing grades, you have more options, and if you're open to alternative career paths, you have more options still.

Go check out the estimated costs of vet school thread. Knowing what I know now, if I were you, I'd apply to a state school in a state with a very, very affordable vet school that is realistic given your current grades. Consider Oklahoma, NC State, Georgia, Mississippi State, Wisconsin...pick an affordable state school, get ye some loans, apply for scholarships, and knock out your prerequisites. Get your hours, do your work. After a year there you'll have IS status so long as you jump through their hoops (each state is different). Then apply when you're competitive. Apply to the IS, and the cheapest OOS schools. If you don't have great grades and scores etc., you'll be a little less competitive for those slots, so if you're adamant about saving $$, make it your mission to do as well as you can.

I think you're wise to be considering the cost of this education and the debt you're signing up for. If nothing else, you will be very, very aware of what you're getting yourself into, and you'll be in a better spot when you get out because of your foresight.

Don't be afraid to move to get IS residency and establish yourself. It takes guts. If this is your dream, there is a smart way to do it. But yes, you'll still be looking at a lot of debt. If you can be comfortable living very, very cheaply, you can pay that debt down more quickly than you could otherwise. I think the best advice I have to offer is that you should really evaluate your situation from all angles. If you're a competitive student, if you're comfortable pinching pennies and living a frugal life, and if this dream is worth upending your life for, you should go for it.

There are plenty of us in vet school with families that are not well off or with no family support and we are just fine - we may not live in 300k condos and visit the galapagos every summer like some people can do but we will all have the same degree at the end :)
Hmmm. Wonder who you are talking about?
How many people fit in that category? Can't be more than a handful (and certainly not me, I live in a house:p)

Hmmm. Wonder who you are talking about?
How many people fit in that category? Can't be more than a handful (and certainly not me, I live in a house:p)

More an amalgamation of different (true) things other vet students have / have done. I didn't want to post something that would identify anyone in particular. But make no mistake there are some people with $$$$$$ floating around.

More an amalgamation of different (true) things other vet students have / have done. I didn't want to post something that would identify anyone in particular. But make no mistake there are some people with $$$$$$ floating around.
Who are they and more importantly are they single? :p

I can completely understand why you are freaking out. I have had several anxiety attacks about the debt I will be in... I'm starting at CSU this fall, have no help from my parents, and will probably be about $300K in debt by the time I graduate. I don't think I'd go through with the whole thing if I was going to be a regular GP vet. The income to debt ratio is too low for me to rationalize going through with it. How I am dealing with it is planning to specialize. You can make almost double the amount specializing in something, so that definitely makes the debt I'll be in seem much more reasonable. Other options like this are going into pharmacology or nutrition (both make lots of money). I don't think people can manage being a GP vet unless they have very little debt. It's just not worth it in my opinion!

What does it take / how much time / how much more money - to specialize? I always thought I would just be a GP, but as I'm getting ready to go to vet school this fall I've been reading so many articles where they recommend specializing to afford the debt. I've never looked into it, so I don't know much. Is it another 2 years or 4?

What does it take / how much time / how much more money - to specialize? I always thought I would just be a GP, but as I'm getting ready to go to vet school this fall I've been reading so many articles where they recommend specializing to afford the debt. I've never looked into it, so I don't know much. Is it another 2 years or 4?

It can depend. I plan on doing a rotating internship, and then a surgical internship after graduation. After that is two years of residency. I'd like to do an emergency and critical care internship too, but we'll see. You also have to do research and publish your own paper. You're given a list of textbooks and a list of journals and you have to read something like every article in those journals for the last three years. You then have an oral and a written exam on all of that.

It can depend. I plan on doing a rotating internship, and then a surgical internship after graduation. After that is two years of residency. I'd like to do an emergency and critical care internship too, but we'll see. You also have to do research and publish your own paper. You're given a list of textbooks and a list of journals and you have to read something like every article in those journals for the last three years. You then have an oral and a written exam on all of that.

ohhh... this, plus the godawful hours, is why I refuse to specialize!

Most(if not all) surgery residencies in the US are going to be 3 years.

ohhh... this, plus the godawful hours, is why I refuse to specialize!

And it's super discouraging that a majority of graduating residents that I know (admittedly few - I'm talking 7 total in equine sx, anesthesia, and lab animal across 3 institutions) don't have jobs lined up and are struggling like hell. I only personally know 9 residents who are done this year, so it may not be representative... But still. What a slap in the face after all that training.

And it's super discouraging that a majority of graduating residents that I know (admittedly few - I'm talking 7 total in equine sx, anesthesia, and lab animal across 3 institutions) don't have jobs lined up and are struggling like hell. I only personally know 9 residents who are done this year, so it may not be representative... But still. What a slap in the face after all that training.

Yeah, I just talked with one of the LA interns here and she's been so busy busting her ass for the internship (their hours are ridiculous... I did an 87 hour week that week and hers was worse than mine - ouch) that she has no idea what she's doing next year and hasn't picked a city or applied anywhere for jobs or residencies. I feel really bad for her but with this schedule when the heck can you go on interviews much less sit down and think about your life plans?

Yeah, I just talked with one of the LA interns here and she's been so busy busting her ass for the internship (their hours are ridiculous... I did an 87 hour week that week and hers was worse than mine - ouch) that she has no idea what she's doing next year and hasn't picked a city or applied anywhere for jobs or residencies. I feel really bad for her but with this schedule when the heck can you go on interviews much less sit down and think about your life plans?

So....I'm guessing you don't get paid to do any internships.....making it almost impossible to do since you will have loans to start paying back after graduating - right? And then do you get paid for doing your residency? I'm thinking despite getting paid more, this may not be an option for me if I'm already going to be 31 when I graduate with a DVM and plan to start a family within a few years after that......Ugh.................no clue how I'm going to pay for vet school unless I join the Army for the scholarship. Which I seriously considered, but with a significant other and already being 3 hours apart for the next 4 years....I doubt that would work. Anybody have any insight on the army route? If he has a stable job, and I had to move away since there are no Army bases in Minnesota, we'd be apart for a long long time. So looks like I'll be trying to pay off these loans without something like the Army helping.

You do get paid for internships and residencies, it is just a low amount to cover basic living expenses. You can get IBR for loans during this time though

Most(if not all) surgery residencies in the US are going to be 3 years.

Ah, really? I may have gotten misinformation. I sat down with a girl who was an intern (but did not pursue residency) where I want to do my internships and residency at.

So....I'm guessing you don't get paid to do any internships.....making it almost impossible to do since you will have loans to start paying back after graduating - right? And then do you get paid for doing your residency? I'm thinking despite getting paid more, this may not be an option for me if I'm already going to be 31 when I graduate with a DVM and plan to start a family within a few years after that......Ugh.................no clue how I'm going to pay for vet school unless I join the Army for the scholarship. Which I seriously considered, but with a significant other and already being 3 hours apart for the next 4 years....I doubt that would work. Anybody have any insight on the army route? If he has a stable job, and I had to move away since there are no Army bases in Minnesota, we'd be apart for a long long time. So looks like I'll be trying to pay off these loans without something like the Army helping.

You can defer your loans at this time, and you get paid. The internships I'm looking at pay about $24,000 a year and then the residency I want is $30,000 a year. My plan is to at least try to pay back some of the interest on the loan so that I can qualify for IBR or PAYE. I would assume that making only $24,000 a year with $200k+ in loans qualifies as "partial financial hardship."
I'll also be 24 when I graduate with my DVM, so I have extra time up my sleeve compared to others. Some people also work as a relief doctor or in an ER on their days off.

You can defer your loans at this time, and you get paid. The internships I'm looking at pay about $24,000 a year and then the residency I want is $30,000 a year. My plan is to at least try to pay back some of the interest on the loan so that I can qualify for IBR or PAYE. I would assume that making only $24,000 a year with $200k+ in loans qualifies as "partial financial hardship."
I'll also be 24 when I graduate with my DVM, so I have extra time up my sleeve compared to others. Some people also work as a relief doctor or in an ER on their days off.

Just an FYI--you don't actually get to "choose" where you end up for internship or residency. You apply and then get matched by a computer. You can definitely rank your top choice highly, but that doesn't mean that's where you'll end up.

no clue how I'm going to pay for vet school unless I join the Army for the scholarship. Which I seriously considered, but with a significant other and already being 3 hours apart for the next 4 years....I doubt that would work. Anybody have any insight on the army route? If he has a stable job, and I had to move away since there are no Army bases in Minnesota, we'd be apart for a long long time. So looks like I'll be trying to pay off these loans without something like the Army helping.

Yeah, you're paying it off either way. With student loans, it's your money. With the army, it's your time - you're basically indentured for a couple years until they have gotten their money's worth from you.

For people who love being in the armed forces, it's easy time. Another thing to consider: from what I have seen/heard, people who are already in the armed forces generally have an easier time getting sponsored. It's a competitive program.

But I have no direct experience. Can anyone who does address this?

Just an FYI--you don't actually get to "choose" where you end up for internship or residency. You apply and then get matched by a computer. You can definitely rank your top choice highly, but that doesn't mean that's where you'll end up.

I'm aware. I've looked through all the stuff on VIRMP. By "choose," I meant that they get a job outside of being an intern or resident, although I probably won't go that route. Internships and residencies are hard enough as it is. Also, while I'd love to get placed in the ones I "choose" (or rank most highly) I know that it may be unlikely and I'll just go wherever I'm matched.

I'm aware. I've looked through all the stuff on VIRMP. By "choose," I meant that they get a job outside of being an intern or resident, although I probably won't go that route. Internships and residencies are hard enough as it is. Also, while I'd love to get placed in the ones I "choose" (or rank most highly) I know that it may be unlikely and I'll just go wherever I'm matched.

Gotcha!! Just wanted to make sure :)

That's true for most residencies, but not all. For lab animal medicine residencies you apply to places, do interviews, and then get offers from the programs. You don't have to make any decision or commitment until a certain date (similar to vet school admissions). Once you have all of your offers, you choose where you want to go.

I realize that's the exception for residencies and not the rule, but just wanted to put it out there for those interested in LAM.

That's true for most residencies, but not all. For lab animal medicine residencies you apply to places, do interviews, and then get offers from the programs. You don't have to make any decision or commitment until a certain date (similar to vet school admissions). Once you have all of your offers, you choose where you want to go.

I realize that's the exception for residencies and not the rule, but just wanted to put it out there for those interested in LAM.

I did not know that--thanks jj!

I just came back here to ask that exact question (after not seeing any LAM residencies in the list on the match site). You beat me to it! Thanks for the info. :)

I just came back here to ask that exact question (after not seeing any LAM residencies in the list on the match site). You beat me to it! Thanks for the info. :)

All of the ACLAM approved residencies are listed here: http://www.aslap.org/search/residencies. You apply to most of them through the UAP (universal application program), and the application is also on the ASLAP website.

Same with anatomic pathology, or at least it was when I applied.

I will have over 300K in debt...I start in August and the thought of my debt is haunting me..it's very upsetting to think about having over $3000/month payments once I graduate not knowing if I'll make enough to cover that and living expenses.
BUT..here's the thing..this is my PASSION..this has been my dream since I was a kid. I have put so much time, effort and money into reaching this goal and I'm proud of how far I've come so far. I canNOT imagine myself doing anything else. Therefore..the money will work itself out somehow! I'm a religious person and I've prayed long and hard about my decisions and I know I'm following the right path.
Now..if this isn't your passion and you can see yourself doing something else other than being a vet, maybe you should consider doing something else because the debt is WAY too much to take on if this isn't your dream. If you like medicine in general I would recommend going to graduate school for something you enjoy...for example I really enjoyed microbiology and my emerging infectious diseases classes in undergrad. A friend of mine has considered going to graduate school to master in something along the lines of microbiology and a lot of graduate schools will basically pay you to go to school for science degrees..they pay you for your work and your research to the school which basically equals out your tuition..so if vet med isn't your passion I would find an option like that so you can afford it and be happy :)
good luck!
I know this post is very old but, how did everything go for you? Are you still in debt?