i really hate to do this, but i need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecoolest47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

I'm not sure if anyone read this in the official thread... I'm sorry I'm posting this here, but it seems as though no one is replying. I want to submit my application soon, so I was hoping if you can give me some advice.

Originally Posted by thecoolest47 View Post
Hi! I was just wondering what schools I should apply to. I took the mcat twice:

8V/12P/13 B (R) and 10V/9P/12B (S).

I have a 3.87 GPA, and am a Canadian student.

I'm a bit concerned with my MCAT scores, and I will take them again in August. However, I'd like to apply to some schools now. I was told that I should be competitive at middle to low tier schools (I'm not really sure which these are). Schools that I am considering are:

Darmouth
Mayo
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Northwestern
NYMC
Penn State
Saint Louis University
SUNY (upstate)
Tufts
Tulane
University of Chicago
USC
UConn
Vanderbilt
BU
VCU
Wake Forest
Wayne State

Which ones do I have a realistic shot at, considering my mediocre MCAT scores, Canadian student status, and my high GPA. It might also be of note that I am a Senator at my university, have planned and participated in two overseas volunteering trips (one in New Orleans), planned frosh week, volunteered in a lab for a summer, and have clinical volunteering placements (ER and physiotherapy clinic)... among other leadership activities..

Do you have any alternate suggestions for schools that I can apply to?

Thank you soooooooo much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you want to take MCAT's a third time??

Your scores like fine as they are. And you GPA is good.

The only thing that might hurt is your Canadian status.

But I am pretty sure that if you apply only to those schools that don't reject foreigners right out, then you should have a pretty good shot.

Good Luck.

You definately have a good shot as some of those places. I dont really think that you should take the MCAT again, your score is decent enough. I personally feel that your best bets might be mayo, penn state, and wake forest. As for applying to other schools, I think that you have enough on your list as it is. Why are you not applying to any canadian schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're mcat is not too bad, and you def have a shot at some of the schools in your list. One thing I would stress is make sure your PS is top notch. It seems like with the two volunteering trips, you'll have plent of fodder for your essay, but just make sure it's good enough to stand out a bit...hopefully someway compensating for your MCAT.

oh, I'm applying there, too. It's just really hard to get interviews in Canada.

Are you sure you want to take MCAT's a third time??

Agree. Big mistake to take the MCAT a third time -- you probably shouldn't have bothered taking them a second time but certainly now that all scores are 9 or above you should stand pat. If you take them again and score in the same ballpark it is going to make folks really wonder what you are doing. I would only consider taking them again if you are consistently scoring well (3+ points) over your initial 33, because statistically folks tend to score within 3 points above or below their last few full length practice tests leading up to the exam. You have decent numbers now, but if for some reason your score dropped significantly <30 on your third MCAT, you might test yourself right out of the running for allo schools.

A lot of Canadian schools have stringent 10/10/10 cut offs that I'm falling just shy of. The 31 was a big shock, because in practice tests i was ranging between 34 and 37. Can I submit my American application and not bother updating my MCAT? Or will AMCAS automatically update schools about my new scores?

A lot of Canadian schools have stringent 10/10/10 cut offs that I'm falling just shy of. The 31 was a big shock, because in practice tests i was ranging between 34 and 37. Can I submit my American application and not bother updating my MCAT? Or will AMCAS automatically update schools about my new scores?

AMCAS automatically shares your MCAT scores. As for practice tests, you ought to be looking at the mean, not the highest of the range. That best accounts for those tests that focused most or least on your strengths. And only look at full lengths taken under timed conditions. Most people score within 3 points of this mean (as did you the first time).

So I guess the canadian cutoff puts you in a bind because taking it three times for similar (or worse, declining) scores is not going to look good for US schools. If US is of real interest you are better off stopping now. Just my two cents.

From talking to an AdCom person at a pretty good med school, they said that taking the MCAT 3 times is frowned upon unless you have a VERY good reason for it.

I think your scores are fine as they stand. Instead of focusing on the MCAT, now I would just fine tune your school list.

My info is posted above... can someone help me cut down/add more schools. Im thinking of adding some more New York Private schools. Tell me what you think! Thanks.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Mayo Medical School
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
SUNY Upstate Medical University
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine

My info is posted above... can someone help me cut down/add more schools. Im thinking of adding some more New York Private schools. Tell me what you think! Thanks.

Dartmouth Medical School
Mayo Medical School

Have you researched all these schools and gone through the ones above to make sure they accept international/Canadian students? I would definitely do that. Because some schools accept no international students. Try looking at their websites or looking at a copy of the MSAR at your library.

Also some of the top tier schools you've selected like Mayo and Dartmouth have small classes sizes. Mayo's is about 42. Dartmouth is about 80-90. Something to consider when you're making your list. You want to optimize your chances of getting into medical school. When you select schools I think you should choose ones known for accepting a few Canadians a year + have larger class sizes or a good acceptance/applicant ratio.

Also, I see you are applying to/considering to a lot of southern schools. Do you have some connection to the South? Relatives who live there? A lot of schools, especially state schools, will have regional bias and this goes for schools in the northeast as well. But I feel that the bias is stronger in the South (just my opinion). I had a friend from an ivy league undergrad with 3.4 GPA and 32 MCAT get into U of K out of state but her aunt was on the adcom so...

I would also agree that unless your practice MCAT score under simulated test day conditions is consistently around 36, I wouldn't retake the MCAT. Taking the sections one at a time over a few days and then adding the score together doesn't count. I was told by my premed advisor that ideally the MCAT is something you want to take once and only once. Twice, if absolutely necessary and if you take it again it's bad if you don't do better than your original score. Another poster commented that the downward trend in MCAT score is the real killer. I think this is true and that it can seriously hurt your chances. You would have to do better than a 33-34 to justify the decision to take it again or make the 10-10-10 Canadian cutoff that you mentioned.

I'm going to close by saying that you have a strong GPA and that you have a reasonable chance of getting into a US medical school. I would research schools carefully and get that AMCAS in ASAP. You can always add schools on later after your AMCAS is approved. You also want to complete those secondaries as fast as you can. Maybe increase the number of schools you're applying to. As a Canadian applying to US schools , you're at a serious disadvantage. You want to do everything you can to improve your chances so research your schools carefully and get that application in! Good luck! :luck:

Dartmouth Medical School
Mayo Medical School

Unless you have outstanding stats, I wouldn't apply to UNC. I believe they accept about 20 out of state applicants every year, and they have really good stats (because you're competing with some 1000 applicants). I would check the other state schools to see those stats as well. Especially if your listed MCAT scores are in order (you went down to a 31 from a 33). That won't look too good.

thank you for the feedback. I have now submitted my AMCAS with the following schools:

Albany Medical College
Dartmouth Medical School
Mayo Medical School
New York Medical College
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Saint Louis University School of Medicine

I think that Darmouth, mayo, Feinberg, Case, and Vandy might be stretches. Do you think I have a shot at interviewing at least one of them? I think my PS is pretty solid.