I really hope someone out there can give me some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACE28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in May and my plan was to take the MCAT and apply this year as I take a year off.

I am currently registered for the July 31st exam and today is the last day to reschedule!!

I took four AAMC practice tests (5-8) in the last four weeks and scored 20-24 on them. 6-9 on the sciences and constant 6's on the VR

I have been studying since June 1st. For content I read through and finished the EK books and I'm half way through VR 101.

I have slowly been doing the EK 1001s and a friends TBR physics and chemistry book problems in between practice tests but not even half way done through them. Should I just do practice problems in these books for the last 2 weeks until the exam??

Help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
reschedule for the latest day possible. Get the TBR Verbal book and the EK verbal book and practice timed passages. See why you're getting those wrong. Go through your old tests thoroughly and see why you're getting those questions wrong as well. I've taken the test 3 times, studying for my 4th, and in my experience scores don't jump dramatically in a few weeks time. Give yourself plenty of time to study. Find your weaknesses and focus on them.

I graduated in May and my plan was to take the MCAT and apply this year as I take a year off.

I am currently registered for the July 31st exam and today is the last day to reschedule!!

I took four AAMC practice tests (5-8) in the last four weeks and scored 20-24 on them. 6-9 on the sciences and constant 6's on the VR

I have been studying since June 1st. For content I read through and finished the EK books and I'm half way through VR 101.

I have slowl been doing the EK 1001s and a friends TBR physics and chemistry book problems in between practice tests but not even half way done through them. Should I just do practice problems in these books for the last 2 weeks until the exam??

Help

I think you should reschedule. Two weeks is not enough time to bring up your score, especially if you're scoring constant 6's on your verbal. You sort of remind me of myself back in the beginning of June. I was two weeks away from my June 18th test when I took AAMC 5 and just scored a 28 (10, 8, 10). I panicked and rescheduled, as that was not where I wanted to be. I'm testing in two weeks and I'm glad I rescheduled because I scored a 36 on AAMC 6 (13, 10, 13) which was an 8 point improvement. Rescheduling gave me a lot more time to study, and definitely boosted my confidence. If you're scoring 20-24 on the AAMCs and take the July 31st MCAT, then expect to hit your average, which will be between 20-24. If you want to score higher (especially if you want to go to a U.S. Allopathic school), postpone your test (at least to an August date, if you can) or apply next cycle. Good luck.

pookiez, you give me hope, if I can get a 8 point increase on my score in a month that would be awesome. Can you please tell me what you did to go up that much?

Do you guys think that if I delay my exam and go through all the EK 1001s and TBR passages it would be possible improve my score by that much in one month? As stupid as it sounds, with my practice scores, I feel as if scoring well on the MCAT is an inherent ability.

I have a 3.86 and good extracurriculars (imo). If I can get a 8 point jump and get closer to the 30 mark, I am confidant I can get in some where.

It's just taking the Aug test will be really late and I'm already taking a year off, I don't know what I would do if don't get in this cycle. Argh!

But I guess an acceptable late MCAT score is better than a poor MCAT score anytime.

Last edited:
pookiez, you give me hope, if I can get a 6 point on my score in a month that was would be awesome. Can you please tell me what you did to go up that much?

Do you guys think that if I delay my exam and go through all the EK 1001s and TBR passages it would be possible improve my score by that much in one month? As stupid as it sounds, with my practice scores, I feel as if scoring well on the MCAT is an inherent ability.

I have a 3.86 and good extracurricular (imo). If I can get a 6 point jump and get closer to the 30 mark, I am confidant I can get in some where.

It's just taking the Aug test will be really late and I'm already taking a year off, I don't know what I would do if don't get in this cycle. Argh!

But I guess an acceptable late MCAT score is better than a poor MCAT score anytime.

What is your weakness? You have to identify what's holding you back. Did you do a thorough content review? I first started off with the EK books way back when, I don't even remember lol. To be quite honest, I don't think the EK books are good for content review (except the bio book). For me, my problem was content review-I kept missing small details that were screwing me over and costing me points on the practice exams. At that point, I took out my TPR books from the hyperlearning course (I never read them, as I thought I was good with the content review). I read the entire Physical Sciences review manual (made notes or augmented my previous notes), read only the Bio section of the Biological Sciences review (Orgo is my strong point so I didn't even bother) and did the same for my bio notes. I also did practice problems along with my content review, which I think is crucial. Don't just do content review-do practice problems as well but do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take full length exams before you're done with content review. It's a waste. Do timed passages and stuff, just not full lengths.

So, once I was done reading my TPR books, I set out to review my notes (which are pretty extensive). They are compilations of stuff from TBR content books, ALL the concepts I was getting wrong (anytime I'd get a question wrong, I'd add the explanation/concept to the pertinent sectionof my notes. Like if I got a fluids question wrong, I would open up the fluids/solids section of my physics notes and write a detailed explanation), stuff from previous TPR exams, etc. I thoroughly reviewed those notes and really drilled them in my head (which was great, because I was basically reviewing my mistakes and the correct reasoning over and over again). When I was done with that, I took my remaining TPR tests (I had like 3 left, those tests are hard!). After I was done with those, I took AAMC 6 which seemed like a little baby. I thought it was a joke, especially compared to the TPR exams.

My point is, identify your weakness. Mine was content review and I took care of that. What's yours? I would recommend getting the TPR Hyperlearning books from someone (I really like them), or go through your TBR books. Do all the passages, review them thoroughly. Don't forget about content review, even when you're done, keep reviewing things. Lastly, don't forget about confidence. You can do this. If I can, then so can you.