I really really need help! please answer tnhis 4 me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation in a nutshell. My undergraduate gpa is not what it should be (2.95), but that includes taking classes over and replacing the old grade, not averaging them together. Anyways, becuase of this, I went on to get a masters; in bio/ My gpa in that program was 3.25. My question is, generally speaking, how competetive are post bac programs. I would think with a masters i would be a shoe in. any thoughts? I wouldnt think a post bac would be all that competive to get into? The one that I am intereted in is loma linda biomedical post bac certificate

Members don't see this ad.

premedman said:
Here is my situation in a nutshell. My undergraduate gpa is not what it should be (2.95), but that includes taking classes over and replacing the old grade, not averaging them together. Anyways, becuase of this, I went on to get a masters; in bio/ My gpa in that program was 3.25. My question is, generally speaking, how competetive are post bac programs. I would think with a masters i would be a shoe in. any thoughts? I wouldnt think a post bac would be all that competive to get into? The one that I am intereted in is loma linda biomedical post bac certificate

It depends on what program you are looking to enter. You have Harvard, not so competative vs. Bryn Mar/Goucher which are more competative. A 3.25 in a master's program is certainly not a braging point, and is not "a shoe in" for a competative program, if I'm being honest. I'm not familiar with Loma Linda, so I am just commenting on your Master's degree statement.
Just my $.02
Good Luck.

how is harvard not so competive?

Members don't see this ad :)
premedman said:
how is harvard not so competive?

Harvard extension school offers a health careers program (post bacc) which is open enrollment for those who wish not to enter the program "formally," or those who only need a few extra upper level courses. There is also an application to fill out if you wish to be part of the "program," which has certain benefits for those who may be non-traditional or have a low GPA (<3.0) such as committee sponsorship, etc.

I say it is not competative because it is really open-enrollment and even for those who do apply, a majority are accepted.

Their website is:http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

If you search "Harvard" or "HES" in the post-bacc forum, you can learn a lot more as it is quite a popular program for pre-meds on the East Coast.

Sundarban1 said:
Harvard extension school offers a health careers program (post bacc) which is open enrollment for those who wish not to enter the program "formally," or those who only need a few extra upper level courses. There is also an application to fill out if you wish to be part of the "program," which has certain benefits for those who may be non-traditional or have a low GPA (<3.0) such as committee sponsorship, etc.

I say it is not competative because it is really open-enrollment and even for those who do apply, a majority are accepted.

Their website is:http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/default.jsp

If you search "Harvard" or "HES" in the post-bacc forum, you can learn a lot more as it is quite a popular program for pre-meds on the East Coast.

Some pb programs (like Columbia) don't want you to have taken very many (or any) of the premed prereqs, others don't care, some are full time, some are extension/flexible, etc. It's been a few years for me...You can see all this on the sdn forums. I think, just my worthless two bits, that you need to take advanced science classes and do really well in them, instead of retaking classes (which you already retook? I'm confused about that part of your post), and get really involved with volunteer work and premed leadership. To be honest, your masters grades are going to be an issue for you - programs want to see you achieve in your area of interest,and you are expected to have high grades in grad school.

Clearly, by achieving your masters, you have shown persistence. I think you can stress that as a strength, and also any research or pubs you were involved in. Additionally, if you did well on the GRE, that helps too.