I submitted a committee letter and two individual LORs that were already included in the committee letter. Should I be concerned about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

true_royal

Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I have 5 total LORs, and all 5 of them were compiled into a committee letter. My school's version of a committee letter is essentially just a condensed letter that compiles snippets of my other individual letters. My advisor told me though that my strongest letters (I haven't read any of them but I assumed these 2 were my strongest) should ideally be sent as an individual letters, so I submitted my committee letter and those 2 individual LORs to my schools (the 2 were just the full version of 2 letters already included in the committee letter). For schools with a max of 5 LORs, will they view this as 7 letters (since I'll have all 5 compiled into the committee) plus the individual 2, even though those 2 are just essentially expanded duplicates of letters already included in the committee letter?

Should I be concerned about this or am I overthinking it? If I should be concerned about this, is there anything I can do about it? My primary application was verified a few weeks ago so I can't remove any of them in the AMCAS portal.

Thanks!

EDIT: I emailed all of those schools and clarified that the other two individual letters were already compiled into the committee letter, just to avoid confusion. Nearly every school responded with something along the lines of "that's no problem, but thank you anyway for letting us know." So NBD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do they send a letter packet along with the Committee letter? Lots of schools do. But you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they send a letter packet along with the Committee letter? Lots of schools do. But you’ll be fine.
This^^^^. You're totally fine. The committee letter counts as one, no matter how many snippets or full letters it contains. You sent 3 letters. You're good. Sometimes the advisors actually know what they are talking about! :)