I submitted my primary. Would taking august 20 mcat be too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanamia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Primaries submitted a month ago

Members don't see this ad.

August 20 is cutting it a bit close, that would mean scores are released by Sep. 20 minimum, which is well after the Labor Day soft deadline for secondaries. Approximately what score are you expecting on the MCAT?

Is this your first MCAT test?
That test date is pretty late. Schools will receive your primary around 9/20 and it can take weeks for schools to send secondaries. Did you apply to a list of schools or a throwaway%.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this your first MCAT test?
That test date is pretty late. Schools will receive your primary around 9/20 and it can take weeks for schools to send secondaries. Did you apply to a list of schools or a throwaway%.
retake i applied to a throwaway

I would advise waiting a cycle (try for 509+) or applying DO

Reactions: 2 users
that's what i am aiming for. So if i manage a 510-515 score think august 20 would be okay?
You have to decide, if you get the score you are aiming for and you feel your essays and the rest of your application are highly competitive, is it worth the effort and expense to have some chance of starting medical school, be in MD or DO, in 2023 than -0- chance of starting medical school this cycle? (It's -0- if you don't apply) Or do you want to maximize your chances of acceptance by waiting out this cycle, improving your qualifications and applying early next cycle when you will have a better chance of acceptance simply because the class is wide open.

Having your app complete that late is a negative and reduces your chances of acceptance, but it doesn't reduce them to -0-. Applicants are accepted late in the cycle, but most adcom say that fewer are accepted late in the cycle than earlier. Personally, I would prefer to apply when my chances are best. It's hard enough to get accepted to medical school when you apply early.

Reactions: 4 users
i do Disadvantaged, immigrant, come from single parent household
It's late. Period.

There are always stories about people applying late and finding success, and there is no reason that cannot be you. But the simple truth is that IIs have already begun going out, and a LOT more will have gone out, everywhere, by the time you get your score back on September 20th.

You are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage, and just don't have quite the hook that a 4.0/520 Olympic athlete has. You are going to be competing with literally thousands of applicants who look similar to you and who were complete months before you. That's a lot to overcome.

As everyone else has suggested, I think you should consider waiting. Is this your first application cycle? If not, you already know what happens by applying before you are ready. If so, you REALLY don't want to sabotage what would otherwise be a successful cycle due to the timing of your applications.

Reactions: 2 users