I think gas gets me aroused.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvspro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I usually don't post, but my school just sent me my electives form, and they require it to be done by monday. The problem I'm having is that I'm only 5 mo's into my cores, and still don't know exactly what I want to do. I like medicine, but can see myself getting sick of tweaking medications for old ladies w/CHF. I like surgery, but sometimes I get the feeling that they are just glorified mechanics who lead the life of an indentured servant. ER sounds cool, but the heavy emphasis on being a primary care doc w/a touch of real emergent care defeats the purpose being an ER doc IMHO. Finally, I think I am leaning towards gas but I am still working on cores, and thus have not done an elective yet. For me, gas seems the ideal route. I get to do procedures, more so if I go pain, satisfying my desire for surgery. I get to tweak meds, and I get immediate results, satisfying my love for medicine while staying in the realm of acute care. Finally, an emergency in anaesthesia is usually a trouser-soiling emergency and allows me to flex my cool under pressure, satisfying my desire for emergent care. I also have a knack at making others feel comfy and assured. I get much personal satisfaction knowing I have put a Px's mind at ease.
My questions.
1. Have all of you had the same feelings I'm having right now?

2. I'm taking a gas elective in Sept. Any tips?

3. What electives should I stack in my MSIV yr, and pgy1 yr that will make me a strong gas doc? More focus on MSIV for now please.

4.This goes with the last one, should I do a g-surg/imed/or transit yr for my pgy1?

5. Does anyone know if IMG's are accepted @ UMich? S1:235/95, top 1/3 @ big 3 caribschool, don't mind working from the crack of dawn til' the middle of the night, english is my 1st... only language. I've heard many good things about UMich, plus I've always wanted to go there. I live in Mich, and would love to move to Ann Arbor. If not UMich, does anyone know of IMG's landing a spot at one of the commonly discussed "best" programs?

6. BTW, I read the book "Choosing a medical specialty" by Lange, and it states that there is a shortage of gas docs in 2004, and that this shortage is expected to carry on for at least ten years.furthermore, the statement is referenced: Am Soc Anaesthesiol Newsletter; 65(4):16-19. My Q is this. It seems with all the talk of CRNA's, oversupply of MDA's, and demand shrinking on this forum you would think the book is wrong, so does anyone know the real story?

7. For all the people concerned w/$$$, please don't choose a field on how much $ you make. I was making 6 figures b4 med school, and hated life. Sure, the Lexus was nice, and the Phat condo was cool, but it really isn't worth it. It would take 6 alarm clocks in the morning to get me out of bed, and I was always bored at work. When I acted on my goal of becoming a doc, I suddenly had no trouble in the AM, and I can't even think of the last time I had a bad day at work.... er, I guess it would be at rotations. I hate to beat a dead horse, but whatever you do better get you aroused too.

Thanks
Peace
Lo

Members don't see this ad.

lvspro said:
Hey everyone. I usually don't post, but my school just sent me my electives form, and they require it to be done by monday. The problem I'm having is that I'm only 5 mo's into my cores, and still don't know exactly what I want to do. I like medicine, but can see myself getting sick of tweaking medications for old ladies w/CHF. I like surgery, but sometimes I get the feeling that they are just glorified mechanics who lead the life of an indentured servant. ER sounds cool, but the heavy emphasis on being a primary care doc w/a touch of real emergent care defeats the purpose being an ER doc IMHO. Finally, I think I am leaning towards gas but I am still working on cores, and thus have not done an elective yet. For me, gas seems the ideal route. I get to do procedures, more so if I go pain, satisfying my desire for surgery. I get to tweak meds, and I get immediate results, satisfying my love for medicine while staying in the realm of acute care. Finally, an emergency in anaesthesia is usually a trouser-soiling emergency and allows me to flex my cool under pressure, satisfying my desire for emergent care. I also have a knack at making others feel comfy and assured. I get much personal satisfaction knowing I have put a Px's mind at ease.
My questions.
1. Have all of you had the same feelings I'm having right now?

2. I'm taking a gas elective in Sept. Any tips?

3. What electives should I stack in my MSIV yr, and pgy1 yr that will make me a strong gas doc? More focus on MSIV for now please.

4.This goes with the last one, should I do a g-surg/imed/or transit yr for my pgy1?

5. Does anyone know if IMG's are accepted @ UMich? S1:235/95, top 1/3 @ big 3 caribschool, don't mind working from the crack of dawn til' the middle of the night, english is my 1st... only language. I've heard many good things about UMich, plus I've always wanted to go there. I live in Mich, and would love to move to Ann Arbor. If not UMich, does anyone know of IMG's landing a spot at one of the commonly discussed "best" programs?

6. BTW, I read the book "Choosing a medical specialty" by Lange, and it states that there is a shortage of gas docs in 2004, and that this shortage is expected to carry on for at least ten years.furthermore, the statement is referenced: Am Soc Anaesthesiol Newsletter; 65(4):16-19. My Q is this. It seems with all the talk of CRNA's, oversupply of MDA's, and demand shrinking on this forum you would think the book is wrong, so does anyone know the real story?

7. For all the people concerned w/$$$, please don't choose a field on how much $ you make. I was making 6 figures b4 med school, and hated life. Sure, the Lexus was nice, and the Phat condo was cool, but it really isn't worth it. It would take 6 alarm clocks in the morning to get me out of bed, and I was always bored at work. When I acted on my goal of becoming a doc, I suddenly had no trouble in the AM, and I can't even think of the last time I had a bad day at work.... er, I guess it would be at rotations. I hate to beat a dead horse, but whatever you do better get you aroused too.

Thanks
Peace
Lo

with all due respect a caribbean school is a caribbean school...this contrived 'big three' phenomena you refer to is contrived by students that go there. Most US grads/PDs highly look down on these schools. What in the world would U of Michigan, especially in these days of competitive gas residencies want with one of the carib grads? Perhaps, in the past they may have taken some of you all because gas was not competitive. I firmly believe the rank order is such... .US grads (MD/DO), then foreign mds (non carib), finally carib.

regards

Hi,
I normally do not post, but I couldn't pass up this one. unfortunately, dicknykid1980 is right, although the guy responded with as little class as possible, he is right. UMich is probably not going to offer you an interview, and either will most top notch University programs. There are a few of us who get through, so don't give up. Do well on step 2, take it early and shoot for >240. That will help. Get some solid LOR, and work your butt off and you will be fine. It might not be UMich, but there are many great programs, and program directors who realize that US FMG's are still good applicants. I received over >25 interviews, all University programs, and feel like I am going to match into my #1 (although emails and phone calls mean nothing). Also regarding the big #3 caribb schools. They are all the same bro. ROSS, SGU, AUC....you are a FMG no matter how you dress it up. The only difference is SGU is the most $$$ to attend. No PD is going to differentiate between the 3. Anesthesia is competitive now, so they will be taking less and less US FMG, that is why you have to work harder than the next guy. Its unfair, but that is just life, and I knew that when I decided to go to a carib school over a DO school. You will most likely have better board scores than alot of US grads, and in most cases they will still take them over you. Its ok thought, with those scores you will find a place somewhere. Just ignore people like ny guy here. You will soon find out (if you havent already rotated with US grads), that there is no difference between their education and yours. We just had better weather. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Dr. J

dknykid1980 said:
with all due respect a caribbean school is a caribbean school...this contrived 'big three' phenomena you refer to is contrived by students that go there. Most US grads/PDs highly look down on these schools. What in the world would U of Michigan, especially in these days of competitive gas residencies want with one of the carib grads? Perhaps, in the past they may have taken some of you all because gas was not competitive. I firmly believe the rank order is such... .US grads (MD/DO), then foreign mds (non carib), finally carib.

regards

Members don't see this ad :)
dknykid1980 said:

regards

Had I not read your previous posts about Carib grads, this may have discouraged me. Just so you know what you're dealing with.
1. I got 10's on the mcat, and had a 3.4 gpa from umich.
2. My plan was to finish u-grad, and go to med school. After U-grad, my family ran into financial trouble, which is when I decided to help them, and go back to med school later. After 3 years, we had 3 gas stations, and 2 cell phone stores, which is when I decided to fulfill my goal of being a doc. To apply US, I would need to retake the MCAT (statute of lims= 3yrs for mcat), and probably do a BMS... aka another 2 years of crap.
3. I applied carib, got in, did well on S1, and am back doing rotations.
4. My evals have all read " awesome/excellent/outstanding etc... student b/c I bust my a$$ at work day in day out. 1st there, last gone, read like a maniac, and find time to workout 5-6x/wk.
5. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like working with me, and I always help others in need (typically other students who feel they are owed something by the medical community b/c they are us students).
6. I'm 6 ft, >200 lbs, workout/box regularly, and would love to find out who you really are, but we both know how nice for you it is that you can hide behind an anonymous identity on the web.
7. Also, b4 i finished U-gad, I was on all the health-care societies, as well as involved with MLK day volunteer organizations. While in med school, I was able to find time to Coach our basketball team.

Would you care to share any of your accomplishments, besides getting into the oh-so-prestigious Howard university?

btw, next time you wanna give your opinion, try acting like a professional and maybe I will take you seriously. My intentions w/U of M are to see if other IMG's have matched there.

Peace
Lo

I wouldn't hang your hat on one program, regardless of if you are IMG, allopathic, or osteo. I had my top choice, hometown program not even offer an interview, although I am allopthic with good stats, letters, etc. Oh well, their loss, and I mean that truly. The point is I got plenty of great interviews elsewhere.

Being an IMG it WILL be tougher for you, but don't lose hope, you will match somewhere. Work on your LORs, do a gas and a SICU rotation, try to get someone well known on your team, apply broadly and interview well at the places that give you a chance.

There are plenty of great programs out there, and you will have at plenty of interviews. Don't overvalue "name". As said before on this forum, the place you end up will be the best for you, and no matter where you train it will always be what you make of it. You are choosing a great field, IMHO. Keep up the good work.

--Cap

jenjas said:
Hi,
I normally do not post, but I couldn't pass up this one. unfortunately, dicknykid1980 is right, although the guy responded with as little class as possible, he is right. UMich is probably not going to offer you an interview, and either will most top notch University programs. There are a few of us who get through, so don't give up. Do well on step 2, take it early and shoot for >240. That will help. Get some solid LOR, and work your butt off and you will be fine. It might not be UMich, but there are many great programs, and program directors who realize that US FMG's are still good applicants. I received over >25 interviews, all University programs, and feel like I am going to match into my #1 (although emails and phone calls mean nothing). Also regarding the big #3 caribb schools. They are all the same bro. ROSS, SGU, AUC....you are a FMG no matter how you dress it up. The only difference is SGU is the most $$$ to attend. No PD is going to differentiate between the 3. Anesthesia is competitive now, so they will be taking less and less US FMG, that is why you have to work harder than the next guy. Its unfair, but that is just life, and I knew that when I decided to go to a carib school over a DO school. You will most likely have better board scores than alot of US grads, and in most cases they will still take them over you. Its ok thought, with those scores you will find a place somewhere. Just ignore people like ny guy here. You will soon find out (if you havent already rotated with US grads), that there is no difference between their education and yours. We just had better weather. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Dr. J

J

First off, do not misconstrue what i have said. I wrote in a very blunt but non-offensive manner. I know many students on here are very reserved and do not what to bring this up, however, this needs to be addressed. Do not state that there was no 'class' in what I stated because it was the TRUTH. How mature is it to call me 'DICKnykid1980'? You speak of class? lol. please, it just goes to show how defensive you all get when the truth is relayed.

Secondly, there is nothing UNFAIR about the selection process. By virtue of not applying to DO schools and going the easier route (ie carib) you made a grave misjudgement. please, dont make the arguement you did not want to practice OMT, the truth is you would not have gotten in. As a US allo student I can state that DO students are well above carib students. they atleast had admissions standards and attend institutions licensed by American governing bodies which mandate strict adherence (ie LCME, ACGME, etc). I know that many carib students have gone to the 'three' without MCAT scores and even straight from high school. This would NEVER have transpired at a DO school. I find it alarming that carib students find themselves superior to DO students because they have the MD initials procurred to them by diploma mill institutions (factories).

regards

lvspro said:
Had I not read your previous posts about Carib grads, this may have discouraged me. Just so you know what you're dealing with.
2. My plan was to finish u-grad, and go to med school. After U-grad, my family ran into financial trouble, which is when I decided to help them, and go back to med school later. After 3 years, we had 3 gas stations, and 2 cell phone stores, which is when I decided to fulfill my goal of being a doc. To apply US, I would need to retake the MCAT (statute of lims= 3yrs for mcat), and probably do a BMS... aka another 2 years of crap.
4. My evals have all read " awesome/excellent/outstanding etc... student b/c I bust my a$$ at work day in day out. 1st there, last gone, read like a maniac, and find time to workout 5-6x/wk.
5. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like working with me, and I always help others in need (typically other students who feel they are owed something by the medical community b/c they are us students).
6. I'm 6 ft, >200 lbs, workout/box regularly, and would love to find out who you really are, but we both know how nice for you it is that you can hide behind an anonymous identity on the web.
7. Also, b4 i finished U-gad, I was on all the health-care societies, as well as involved with MLK day volunteer organizations. While in med school, I was able to find time to Coach our basketball team.

Would you care to share any of your accomplishments, besides getting into the oh-so-prestigious Howard university?

btw, next time you wanna give your opinion, try acting like a professional and maybe I will take you seriously. My intentions w/U of M are to see if other IMG's have matched there.

Peace
Lo

btw i'm at a cali school. i know that if you bring up previous posts (namely by skip intro) it will state that I go to howard, somewhere i wanted him to think i attended. of course i wasnt going to tell him where i REALLY went. of course he took the bait and went on....bottom line is this. as an M4 now a couple days shy of getting together my ROL (and it's not for anesthesiology) i can say whether its Harvard, Howard, UCSF, u penn, pikesville COM, midwestern osteo, etc...they have one thing in common...theyre in the US. more doors will be opened to them.
sorry to disappoint you.
;)
:laugh:

lvspro said:

Peace
Lo

That's cool, you should have a reasonable shot. Find out if U of Mich takes IMGs, but don't rely on an anonymous internet forum, phone them in person. As an alunmnus, you have a foot in already, so chances are they will at least talk to you. If they ever do take IMGs, you'll have the first impression of being a go getter by even contacting them. Maybe you have already thought of this.

My surgical intern last year was accepted to the Universtiy of Illinois for rads as a USIMG. It's all about impressing the right people. If U Mich gives you a bad vibe, don't waste your time on them. I would suggest doing a rotation at another top choice that feels right, and working some magic. It happens.

Oh yeah, and downing some other guy's med school is no way to boost up your own, that goes for you and the other guy. We will all be colleagues some day, with any luck.

Best,

--Cap

dknykid1980 said:
J

First off, do not misconstrue what i have said. I wrote in a very blunt but non-offensive manner. I know many students on here are very reserved and do not what to bring this up, however, this needs to be addressed. Do not state that there was no 'class' in what I stated because it was the TRUTH. How mature is it to call me 'DICKnykid1980'? You speak of class? lol. please, it just goes to show how defensive you all get when the truth is relayed.

Secondly, there is nothing UNFAIR about the selection process. By virtue of not applying to DO schools and going the easier route (ie carib) you made a grave misjudgement. please, dont make the arguement you did not want to practice OMT, the truth is you would not have gotten in. As a US allo student I can state that DO students are well above carib students. they atleast had admissions standards and attend institutions licensed by American governing bodies which mandate strict adherence (ie LCME, ACGME, etc). I know that many carib students have gone to the 'three' without MCAT scores and even straight from high school. This would NEVER have transpired at a DO school. I find it alarming that carib students find themselves superior to DO students because they have the MD initials procurred to them by diploma mill institutions (factories).

regards

Many of the younger attendings that will be teaching you anesthesia at almost any residency in the country got in at a time when any English speaker could walk in anywhere. Think about that when you are making generalizations.

Maybe you should adhere to the logic of your own signature.

:)

dknykid1980 said:
btw i'm at a cali school. i know that if you bring up previous posts (namely by skip intro) it will state that I go to howard, somewhere i wanted him to think i attended. of course i wasnt going to tell him where i REALLY went. of course he took the bait and went on....bottom line is this. as an M4 now a couple days shy of getting together my ROL (and it's not for anesthesiology) i can say whether its Harvard, Howard, UCSF, u penn, pikesville COM, midwestern osteo, etc...they have one thing in common...theyre in the US. more doors will be opened to them.
sorry to disappoint you.
;)
:laugh:

You are a complete liar. You have zero credibility. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Your track record of posting on this forum speaks for itself.

-Skip

Capsaicin said:
Many of the younger attendings that will be teaching you anesthesia at almost any residency in the country got in at a time when any English speaker could walk in anywhere. Think about that when you are making generalizations.

Maybe you should adhere to the logic of your own signature.

:)

Yo cap
Point taken. I didn't mean to down someone elses school, I just get the feeling that this guy has an agenda against IMG's. As such, I reacted with vengeance, and will consider using restraint in the future.
Anyhow. I have plenty of other questions in the above post to be answered, so let's not dwell on the U of M thing too long, although I really like their program.
Thanks

Skip Intro said:
You are a complete liar. You have zero credibility. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Your track record of posting on this forum speaks for itself.

-Skip

wow...this coming from a troll like you

Members don't see this ad :)
Skip Intro said:
All of this from someone who doesn't know the difference between cycloheximide and cyclophosphamide ("hmmm... both have 'cyclo' in them so they must be similar"). :laugh:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1599116#post1599116

You're still confused as ever, aren't you?

-Skip
sorry oh master of medicine. i apologize for not knowing everything and asking questions.

of course i should fake to know everything so that i wont look stupid. oh wait maybe i should be like you and have my pride get in the way of asking questions. :thumbup:

dknykid1980 said:
sorry oh master of medicine. i apologize for not knowing everything and asking questions.

of course i should fake to know everything so that i wont look stupid. oh wait maybe i should be like you and have my pride get in the way of asking questions. :thumbup:

Well, more importantly I think this serves to underscore the fact that you often don't know what you're talking about, even on a basic level. I'm sure if other reasonably intelligent people were to review your posting history they would come to a similar conclusion.

-Skip

Allright.
I've had enough of all this. This post was not meant to start a war. I really am in a tuff spot with having to choose all my electives this soon. Also, since I only get ~ 18wks of electives, I really have to focus my energy on organizing things properly. Lets put the brakes on all the attacks, and get back to the original questions.
One more thing, unless you are at UMich, and an IMG, or know an IMG there, let's just leave it alone. I will contact the PD myself and then post what he says. I do realize that being a carib grad puts me at a disadvantage, but we'll see on match day how much of a disadvantage it really is.
Peace
Lo

Skip Intro said:
Well, more importantly I think this serves to underscore the fact that you often don't know what you're talking about, even on a basic level. I'm sure if other reasonably intelligent people were to review your posting history they would come to a similar conclusion.

-Skip
speaking of which, let's take a look of your posting hx. how many forums in this site have you been grilled ? how many posters argued with you? i am not going to link any specifics here but anyone that feels compelled can clearly do a search with SKIP INTRO and see your numerous 'fights'.

one word...troll

p.s. I'm sure your attending wherever you are at now can tell you the MOA of most drugs in a specialty that's not theres. right? oh wait if they couldnt would that 'underscore the fact that they often dont kknow what theyre talking about, even on a basic level". :cool:

dknykid1980 said:
speaking of which, let's take a look of your posting hx. how many forums in this site have you been grilled ? how many posters argued with you? i am not going to link any specifics here but anyone that feels compelled can clearly do a search with SKIP INTRO and see your numerous 'fights'.

Hey, if someone comes around and starts spouting off at the mouth with a ton of misinformation in an antagonistic way, sure I'm going to do my best to make them look like the stupid dullard that they are. I make no apologies for that.

dknykid1980 said:
one word...troll

That's your opinion. I'm sure other people reading this thread will be the judge of who's actually trolling here.

dknykid1980 said:
p.s. I'm sure your attending wherever you are at now can tell you the MOA of most drugs in a specialty that's not theres. right? oh wait if they couldnt would that 'underscore the fact that they often dont kknow what theyre talking about, even on a basic level". :cool:

:confused: What on earth are you babbling about?

-Skip

"That's your opinion. I'm sure other people reading this thread will be the j"udge of who's actually trolling here.

my opinion and the opinion of many others. i dont know how to cut and paste links on here, but i would if i did. there are numerous accounts of individuals on here bashing you because of your unwarranted remarks. sorry to go here but....they are VERY much unwarranted coming from a reject allopathic applicant who scored a was it a 27 or a 28 on the mcats. oh believe me i know a bit more about your closet. ;)

You spend far too much time on this website to have 1000+ posts and be able to reference someone's old posts to start an argument.

If you're going to post something that is not informative at least try to make it funny in some way..... :p

once again skip i apologize for not having memorized harrison's, robbins, and that pharm book (goodman..)

i'll mk up for it in my next life

dknykid1980 said:

regards

Not in regards to the rest of your arguing on this thread, this post alone was enough to maybe not label you a "troll," but surely enough to label you as something that has 1 more syllable and rhymes with it.

Just because you can write "with all due respect" before a harsh and completely non-helpful response, and finish it with "regards," doesn't make it any less offensive. (Truthful or not) What exactly is the difference between "blunt" and "offensive" anyway? ... not much.

dknykid1980 said:
I know that many carib students have gone to the 'three' without MCAT scores and even straight from high school. This would NEVER have transpired at a DO school.

I guess not, but it SURE happens at a few US Allo schools. I came in straight out of high school without MCAT scores- I guess that makes people so much lower on the intelligence scale. Your arrogance is nauseating. (Even to a US Allo grad with a good-great record) Many things more than just simple intelligence go into whether a person attends an allo, osteo, or foreign med program (although not always). But realizing that wouldn't serve your prejudice and condescending sense of pride quite as well... so forget I mentioned it.

dknykid1980 said:
"That's your opinion. I'm sure other people reading this thread will be the j"udge of who's actually trolling here.

my opinion and the opinion of many others. i dont know how to cut and paste links on here, but i would if i did. there are numerous accounts of individuals on here bashing you because of your unwarranted remarks. sorry to go here but....they are VERY much unwarranted coming from a reject allopathic applicant who scored a was it a 27 or a 28 on the mcats. oh believe me i know a bit more about your closet. ;)

calling people out on MCAT scores! heehee. so funny. this is why i love med school. the petty arguments between inflated yet fragile and defensive egos. i am constantly entertained.

btw i know a guy who got a "4" on one of his MCAT categories (he took the exam again) and is now a praticing urologist, excellent at wha he does, making a VERY comfortable living. being a score ***** does not always help your image.

YO Mods
Since this thread is not providing any useful info, please lock it. The IMG debate has been argued ad nauseum in other places. I am reposting.
Thanks
Lo

Status
Not open for further replies.