I think I am going to give it a shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a Canadian student with an American citizenship and I have finally decided to go ahead and write the American DAT this coming February. I think I can do quite well, I will have an entire month of about 8 hours a day to study and already have the materials (did a little preparation for the Canadian DAT)

Sadly, my GPA should be about 3.48cGPA(same for science) with
1st year 2.63
2nd year 3.8
3rd year 3.95ish

I am not very active in clubs but am a very social person. I did do some research this summer as volunteering -and at a Canadian dental school- and plan on doing about 50 hours of shadowing this semester. From what i've heard international students usually have a bit more difficulty getting into American schools then American students. Usually a 3.5GPA would suffice but as an International student i'm worried.

Just wanting to get some feedback if its worth applying this coming cycle and what schools would should I be looking at.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, you're an American citizen, so I'm not sure if that'll change any admissions things. However, admission to the private schools shouldn't be that much of an issue. Also, you'll be able to take out loans in the US for dental school, which'll be a good thing.

But to be on the safe side, I'd try to score at high as possible on the US DAT, and apply to as many schools as possible. You really have no chance at the state schools, so I'd recommend only applying to private schools.

If you score 21+ on the DAT, I don't see you having much trouble getting in to most of the private schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
With, really high DAT scores like 22+, you should have good chance at some state schools

With, really high DAT scores like 22+, you should have good chance at some state schools
Well i dont want to set myself up for disappointment but lets say I get a 20AA? Where would that leave me applying to? Obviously not many state schools, mainly private ones.

With 20, you should be okay with private ones..

If you have American (US?) citizenship you will be considered as a citizen of the country but you will not be a resident of any state (right?). You are not an international student, you are just a non-resident.

What concerns me is that you have finished (or will finish) your undegrad in Canada. Some schools require prereqs taken at a US institution... you should check that. Other than that, you are no different from a usual US citizen applicant.

On the bright side, your GPA trend is really good (going up, many dental schools look positively at that, I heard). Scoring above 22 on the DAT helps no matter what residency you have:laugh:.

Good luck.

Hi there... I'm international and have only been given interviews/acceptances at state schools. So just apply to all schools that interest you, regardless of whether they are state or private. Oh, and with your best two years, you're competitive should you wish to apply to UWO in Canada, assuming you meet the RC cutoffs. Good luck!

Hi there... I'm internatioal and have only been given interviews/acceptances at state schools. So just apply to all schools that interest you, regardless of whether they are state or private. Oh, and with your best two years, you're competitive should you wish to apply to UWO in Canada, assuming you meet the RC cutoffs. Good luck!
Hey!
I do plan on applying but I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket :p
Great GPA by the way, but I really think i'd have a hard time... you on the other hand have a very nice GPA which is probably helping you get interviews in-State schools! Any other advice you could give me?

Congrats by the way!

i'm also American citizen living in Canada. Probably in the same situation. or i used to be. you have pretty good chance. you are considered US citizen but as mentioned above by another perosn, you dont have any state schools. i applied to most private schools and i interviewed at Columbia, Loma, USC and NYU.
it is true you have less chance than others because you don't have a state school. but i personally think we(ones with american citizen) have little better chance than other international students. just because that we have the citizenship.

and taking American DAT definitely shows that you are interested in US schools.

you have better gpa than i do and i still got accepted to NYU.
you have chance as long as you have good DAT score. somewhere 20+

Good luck

i'm also American citizen living in Canada. Probably in the same situation. or i used to be. you have pretty good chance. you are considered US citizen but as mentioned above by another perosn, you dont have any state schools. i applied to most private schools and i interviewed at Columbia, Loma, USC and NYU.
it is true you have less chance than others because you don't have a state school. but i personally think we(ones with american citizen) have little better chance than other international students. just because that we have the citizenship.

and taking American DAT definitely shows that you are interested in US schools.

you have better gpa than i do and i still got accepted to NYU.
you have chance as long as you have good DAT score. somewhere 20+

Good luck

Hey!! do you mind consulting me a little bit? :)
I am curious did you have a lot of extra currics? or an amazing DAT? Because I could never see myself getting an interview to columbia? My gpa is low and I dont have many extra currics, however I think i'd make a great essay and impression. Thanks!!!