I think I am good non traditional applicant, but am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avclub12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older applicant. I am taking the MCAT in May and have completed the required coursework. I went to school right out of high school, but didn't get very good grades because I had no idea what I wanted to do and was just exploring different classes with no clear goal. So, I left after a couple semesters. I built a career, started my own small business, and spent a lot of time in various healthcare/mental healthcare settings. I obtained several certificates and eventually decided, at 27, that I felt deeply called to go to med school. I returned to college and finished a degree. I feel I am a well-rounded applicant with good experiences (academically and professionally) under my belt and have a decent amount of surety that this is what I truly want and I will work hard for it. I have done a lot of extracurricular things including volunteering, getting involved in my community, researching, and have basically made sure anything I've done the last three years will somehow relate to getting into med school or preparing me for it. I've been shadowing doctors, getting connected, etc. But, my GPA is only a 3.6 because of the couple semesters I spent in school when I was was younger. I also got my degree from a state school that isn't top of the line or anything like that. Since I returned to school, though, I have had straight A's and achieved a 3.96 GPA in my minor, which is chemistry. I am really concerned about how these older semesters/grades look, and if the things I think add value to my application really do. I am concerned that it will look bad that I didn't finish my bachelor's degree as a younger student; I am 29 now. I think my MCAT scores will be relatively good. Am I being too hard on myself about not being younger or the "perfect" applicant? Will schools really be able to see how far I have come and how hard I have worked? I guess I am starting to feel discouraged that I really will be considered as a possible med student, or that the application process might just eliminate me based on parameters I can't really control.

Members don't see this ad.

Just kill the MCAT and you will be in decent shape

3.6 with a recent high GPA and a stellar MCAT is not a bad application.

Reactions: 1 user